Google Group Replacement for RMU University Web
Proof of concept to discover features and requirements for a possible in-house mailing list solution for RMU. The first stage is to build out the archiving and searching features.
git clone git://github.com/madebydna/epistola.git
Install all required gems:
Create database and run the migrations
rake db:create rake db:migrate
mail.yml and change the configuration.
Start the Rails server before running the rake task to download messages from Gmail
By default this will download messages sent through the Google Group "ruby-mendicant-university" and save them to the database, preserving the threaded nature of the messages. At the moment the number of messages is capped at 60.
Messages can now be browsed by group and by thread at
- MailBot API to download messages from Google Groups (see
- Multiple groups
- Threaded messages
- Basic search over conversation subject and message body either in all groups or in a particular group
- Fix remaining encoding issues
- PGError: ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8"
- Encoding::CompatibilityError incompatible character encodings: UTF-8 and ASCII-8BIT
- Add tests for MailBot functionality
- Lay foundation to support multiple mail-to-message mappers. Mail headers, etc. will differ depending on the mailing list back-end, while the message object is always the same
- Remove matches from quoted part of message from searches to avoid duplication (?)
- collapse quoted part of message
- collapse entire message
- color code different authors