If it's your first day today, we'd just like you to know how happy we are to have you with us :)
To give you an idea of what to expect from your on-boarding, we have written this short guide. It covers the things that we think are important for new starters and we hope it provides a basis for your successful on-boarding.
Over the next few days and weeks we'll introduce:
Company mission, values, business services and bizops - We'll talk about our mission and why the business exists. We'll tell you why we think it's important to improve software delivery in every organisation and how you can help us to achieve our mission.
Peer buddy — As part of our on-boarding process, we'll introduce you to a company buddy who will be available whenever you need them. If anything crops (from simple questions to emergencies), feel free to let your buddy know and they will do all they can to help.
It goes without saying that myself and the other directors (+ rest of the team) are here too, so there should be plenty of places to turn if you need anything.
Continuous feedback — Next up we'll take you through our Continuous Feedback process and explain how you can use this to provide / receive feedback from colleagues.
Role expectations — All our team members have role expectations and we'll work with you to introduce these to you over the coming weeks.
Career development 121s — As part of your on-boarding process and ongoing career development, you'll have a monthly 121 with your Line Manager or one of the company directors. These sessions are an opportunity for us to review your progress, look at areas where we can provide support.
Comradrospective — On every second Friday, we have a company Comradrospective. The idea behind this is to share learnings from across the company to look at how we can improve. Please contribute to these and once you're feeling confident enough, look to facilitate one of them
Salary, Pensions & Expenses — We'll take you through how our finance work, where to go to if you have any questions around salary, pensions or if you need to submit an expense claim / get a company credit card.
Getting Started Checklist
Below is a checklist for you to work with your buddy over the coming weeks.
- Signed Contract
- Tour of the Building
- Complete welcome form
- Introduction to company mission, business services, and bizops
- Get assigned a buddy
- Attend first continuous feedback 121
- Attend first career development 121 to introduce role expectations
- Attend first comradrospective
- Understand salary, pensions, and expenses
- Understand where office supplies can be found
- Understand how weekly shop works and how to ask for office supplies
- Office keys if applicable
- Website Photo, Blurb & Twitter Account
- Read the Security Policy, Acceptable Usage Policy & BYOD Policy
- Ensure devices used for work are secure
- Get added to email@example.com mailing list
- Ask Director to enroll you on Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS)
- Complete the Github tutorial
Signing up for Services
You'll also need to be setup on the various services we use.
Note that Google office applications (Docs, Sheets) are the preferred format for internal office documents, to be stored in Google Drive
- Google Mail (with 2FA)
- Google Calendar
- Google Docs
- Google Sheets
- Google Drive
- Github (with 2FA)
- Slack (with 2FA)
- LastPass (with 2FA)
- Trello (with 2FA unless using Google Auth to login to Trello)
- Continuous Feedback
Academy Engineers: you can skip these two for now, but you will probably need them once you graduate.
Sales & Marketing
- Access to Sales Handbook
- Access to LinkedIn Sales Navigator
- Trello Sales Boards e.g. Sales 2018
Setting up your Machine
There will be a scheduled workshop that will get your machine setup for development.
To get your machine set up with some essentials we've created First Boot.
First Boot will install applications like Chrome, Slack, and Sequel Pro as well as installing the latest version of Ruby using
rbenv, and the latest version of Node using