Kandan - Modern Open Source Chat
The slickest chat app out there. Open-source and well-supported to boot.
These are features that work out of the box on any provider:
- Easy deploy to CloudFoundry, Heroku, dotCloud, etc.
- Collaborative team chat
- Unlimited channels
- Embed formats for images and youtube videos with requests for others (twitter, facebook, g+, etc.)
- Synchronized sound player - play any audio-tag compatible url for the whole channel (Pending :P)
- /me command!
- Highly extensible plugin format
- Your very own robotic companion
git clone https://github.com/cloudfuji/kandan.git cd kandan bundle install bundle exec rake assets:precompile vmc push my-company-chat --path . --instances 1 --mem 256M --runtime ruby19
You'll answer a few questions:
Application Deployed URL [my-company-chat.cloudfoundry.com]: Detected a Rails Application, is this correct? [Yn]: Creating Application: OK Would you like to bind any services to 'my-company-chat'? [yN]: y Would you like to use an existing provisioned service? [yN]: n The following system services are available 1: mongodb 2: mysql 3: postgresql 4: rabbitmq 5: redis Please select one you wish to provision: 3 Specify the name of the service [postgresql-246de]: Creating Service: OK Binding Service [postgresql-246de]: OK Uploading Application: Checking for available resources: OK Processing resources: OK Packing application: OK Uploading (1M): OK Push Status: OK Staging Application: OK Starting Application: OK
And Kandan should be available on your Cloud Foundry backend now!
You'll need to have the heroku gem installed and to have an existing heroku account. Assuming that, this should work reliably on Heroku:
git clone https://github.com/cloudfuji/kandan.git cd kandan heroku create --stack cedar git push heroku master heroku run rake db:migrate kandan:bootstrap && heroku open echo "Done, go forth and chat!" # Not too bad
Integrate Kandan on Heroku with your Amazon S3_BUCKET ( Heroku article on AWS S3 to store static assets and file uploads ). Run the following line, replacing the the global variable values with your own:
heroku config:add S3_ACCESS_KEY_ID=xxx S3_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY=xxxx S3_BUCKET=bucket_name
If successful you should get a response similar to:
Setting config vars and restarting myapp... done, v12 S3_ACCESS_KEY_ID: xxx S3_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY: xxxx S3_BUCKET: bucket_name
Your app should be up and running now. The admin email by default is
email@example.com with password
kandanadmin, or you can sign up as another user.
Looking for community help here.
If you're looking to install Kandan on a private server, or to develop locally for lemonodor fame, then here is the path you must follow, young hero:
# For development-mode sudo apt-get install nodejs # (execjs needs an execution environment) gem install execjs # (Could possibly be added to the gemfile in the assets group) # Add this to the gemfile: group :development do gem 'sqlite3' end # Get the new gems bundle install # Use the default database.yml to get started cp config/database.yml.sample config/database.yml # Edit config/database.yml if you want to use postgres/mysql # Bootstrap the install bundle exec rake db:create db:migrate kandan:bootstrap bundle exec thin start
That's not a question, it's an order! Or more of a friendly offer, really. Kandan is a fully open-source app, so dive in and start adding features, fixing bugs (what bugs?), and cleaning up the code.
- Talk with us on the mailing list
- GitHub issues tracker
- Twitter @cloudfuji
- New-wave open-source meetup - we meetup once a month to share tips on how developers grow business around super high-quality open source software
- ... is there a fifth way? Telegram maybe?
- Sacha Greif for his amazing design job and exacting implementation standards on Kandan. A wonder and a pleasure to work with.
- Andrew Hampton For the initial manual server install instructions.
- Akash Manohar J For some of the initial work on Kandan
- Thomas Risberg For the Cloud Foundry install instructions and compatibility fixes.
Kandan's code and assets are dual-licensed. Kandan is available generally under the AGPL, and also under a custom license via special agreement. See LICENSE for the AGPL terms, and contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you're interested in development of Kandan under a custom license.