Replication File for Howell and Magazinnik, "Presidential Prescriptions for State Policy" (JPAM, 2017)
- All programs for replicating the tables and figures in the paper are in the Programs folder, labeled by the table/figure number. These programs will reproduce the tables and figures into the Output folder, either as pdfs (for figures) or tex files (for tables). You only need to set a working directory once, at the top of each program, to the Replication folder; all other paths are relative.
- There are tex files in the Output folder to compile the tables (tables.tex) and figures (figures.tex).
- Some additional information on our research team's coding decisions and on the RttT application is available in the Additional Information folder.
- leghist_nagg.dta: states' legislative histories with respect to Race to the Top policies (and some controls), at the policy-state-year level
- leghist_agg.dta: states' legislative histories with respect to Race to the Top policies (and some controls), aggregated to the Rttt application section level
- scores_apps12.dta: states' official scores on their last submitted RttT application
- speeches_long.dta: State of the State speeches coded for mentions of RttT and other education policies
- survey.dta: results from survey of state legislators about impact of RttT on state policy climate
- an1.csv, an2.csv, an3.csv: subsets of the leghist_agg dataset, merged with RttT application scores, for the matching analysis