boltons should be builtins.
Boltons is a set of pure-Python utilities in the same spirit as — and yet conspicuously missing from — the standard library, including:
- :func:`Atomic file saving <boltons.fileutils.atomic_save>`, bolted on with :mod:`~boltons.fileutils`
- A highly-optimized :class:`~boltons.dictutils.OrderedMultiDict`, in :mod:`~boltons.dictutils`
- Two types of :class:`~boltons.queueutils.PriorityQueue`, in :mod:`~boltons.queueutils`
- :func:`Chunked <boltons.iterutils.chunked>` and :func:`windowed <boltons.iterutils.windowed>` iteration, in :mod:`~boltons.iterutils`
- A full-featured :class:`~boltons.tbutils.TracebackInfo` type, for representing stack traces, in :mod:`~boltons.tbutils`
- A lightweight :class:`UTC timezone <boltons.timeutils.UTC>` available in :mod:`~boltons.timeutils`.
- Recursive mapping for nested data transforms, with :func:`remap <boltons.iterutils.remap>`
Installation and Integration
Boltons can be added to a project in a few ways. There's the obvious one:
pip install boltons
Then dozens of boltons are just an import away:
from boltons.cacheutils import LRU lru_cache = LRU() lru_cache['result'] = 'success'
Due to the nature of utilities, application developers might want to consider other integration options. See the :ref:`Integration <arch_integration>` section of the architecture document for more details.
Boltons is tested against Python 2.6, 2.7, 3.4, 3.5, and PyPy.
The majority of boltons strive to be "good enough" for a wide range of
basic uses, leaving advanced use cases to Python's myriad specialized
3rd-party libraries. In many cases the respective
will describe 3rd-party alternatives worth investigating when use
boltons. If you've found a natural "next-step"
library worth mentioning, :ref:`consider filing an issue <Gaps>`!
Found something missing in the standard library that should be in
boltons? Found something missing in
boltons? First, take a
moment to read the very brief :doc:`architecture` statement to make
sure the functionality would be a good fit.
.. toctree:: :maxdepth: 2 architecture cacheutils debugutils dictutils ecoutils fileutils formatutils funcutils gcutils ioutils iterutils jsonutils listutils mathutils mboxutils namedutils queueutils setutils socketutils statsutils strutils tableutils tbutils timeutils typeutils urlutils