A programming utility for the Spartan-6 LX16 Evaluation Kit Author: Yaman Umuroglu firstname.lastname@example.org
DISCLAIMER: Neither the author nor this utility are connected to or endorsed by Avnet. Use at your own risk.
This is an open-source alternative to the Avnet Programming Utility, which is used for programming Avnet Spartan-6 LX16 Evaluation kits. It supports:
- re-configuring the FPGA with a new bitstream
- text-based serial port RX-TX operation
- sending binary files
The utility is written in Qt and uses UNIX termios functions for serial port access. Currently it has only been tested on 64-bit Ubuntu installations (12.04 and above), though should work in Windows with a small amount of changes.
Use qmake or Qt Creator to open the src/s6lxek-progutil.pro and compile the project.
To ensure that the program has access to the serial port in Linux systems, you have several options:
- Copy the udev-rules/s6lxek.rules to the udev rules folder of your system, e.g:
sudo cp udev-rules/s6lxek.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/
Run the programming utility itself as superuser
Change r/w permissions of the corresponding serial port devnode, e.g:
sudo chmod a+rw /dev/ttyACM0
- code cleanup for the serial port IF code
- code cleanup for handling the programming protocol
- handle errors gracefully
- add ability to stop transmission of large files
- receive binary files
- more send modes
- GUI overhaul