Clone this wiki locally
Mapnik Code Sprint 02
The Mapnik community is gathering for another code sprint to improve Mapnik, set the path for the future and to enjoy the company of other Mapnik users and developers.
You are invited. Be part of it.
Saturday/Sunday, 16 - 17 June 2012.
Development Seed's HQ, Washington, DC:
Map: Location on OSM
Development Seed 1714 14th Street NW _Rear Entrance_ Washington, DC 20009
If you can't make it in person, join remotely: https://github.com/mapnik/mapnik/issues/1237
- Friday evening (15th)
- Pub meetup if you are around - Meet at DevSeed office at 8pm, we'll walk from there.
- 9:45 AM - Doors open to DevSeed office.
- 10 AM start - Introductions in the large conference room
- 11 AM - Skype line opens for remote participants to introduce themselves, share current Mapnik projects and future ideas for features. This is at 15:00 UTC. Request contact for Dane (my skype username is
d.springmeyer) beforehand. We will keep the line open for the remainder of the day.
- 12:30 PM - Lunch break
- Afternoon - Whiteboarding, coding, docs, fun, foosball
- 10 AM - doors open
- 11 AM - skype line is opened again
- 1-2:30 PM - Skype call on CSS and Cartography - status of https://github.com/nvkelso/carto-css-map-styling
- 3-3:30 PM - break
- Remainder of day: Lots of coding and breaks to play foosball in the DevSeed garage
Coding, documentation and fun. The previous Mapnik code sprint in September 2010 was both great fun and a great success. Docs were written, Bugs were squashed, capabilities were added, performance was improved and new friends and colleagues were discovered. Proof
This time, we'll tackle some more bugs, some of the lingering Top ten Cartography Wishes from last time, and perhaps knock out some awesome new Mapnik documentation for the ever-increasing user community.
Last time, the Top Ten Advanced Cartography Wishes looked a bit like this: Ideas. Those that have been completed in the interim are struck-through.
Remote coordination will be via this issue]
Attending in DC
- Artem Pavlenko (UK)
- Dane Springmeyer (Seattle)
- Richard Weait (Ontario)
- Lars Ahlzen (Boston)
- Tom MacWright (DC)
- AJ Ashton (DC)
- Will White (DC)
- add your name (and origin) here
More tasks and interests
Add your personal tasks and interests here.
- Interested in Docs, testing, carto styling, 2.1 release (Dane)
- Mapnik documentation and tutorials (Richard)
- High level symbolizers, e.g. "choropleth", Carto (Manel)
- Transition from old version (0.7.1 -> 2.0) (Manel)
- Data-driven symbolizer properties
- Compositing, "advanced" symbolizers (Lars)
- add your tasks and goals