Clone this wiki locally
Mapnik supports unicode text through ICU and has only very rudimentary support for Right-to-left (RTL) languages.
This page is to document and discuss improvements needed to unicode text handling.
- #364 / #404 - RTL mirroring
- #1154 - Arabic font spacing
- #519 - RTL spacing wrong with numbers (UBIDI_MIXED)
- #112 - Indic RTL font shaping
- #189 / #409 - RTL wrapping (line breaks)
- #550 - line-follow: perhaps made worse by unicode chars, perhaps not, needs closer look
- #558 - Character spacing not correct for nepali text
- #582 - TextSymbolizer bug with Armenian letters
- "State of Text Rendering": http://behdad.org/text/
- pango library
- If used Pango would need to be an optional dependency because we don't want to have to depend on whole GLib/GTK stack.
- Mozilla bug that has good testcases that could be harvested: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=721821