Git your map right here! on GitHub!
Everyone's introduction to making a web map, run it locally on your own machine and publish it to the Internet.
Follow along the presentations:
Check out the map:
- Map: http://maptimela.github.io/git_your_map_here/
- Data Source: City of LA - Neighborhood Council Office Location Map (Updated May 30, 2014)
Thank yous: The data was converted from Socrata’s
- Open the Terminal/Powershell app and a web browser. Get a GitHub account and fork the repository.
- Move into that specific folder:
cd git_your_map_here(Pro tip: Remember to use tab completion - click tab and then enter) and click Enter
- Run a local server by typing into Terminal/Powershell:
python -m SimpleHTTPServer 8000and click Enter. This runs the Leaflet-powered map with marker and boundary data from two
.geojsonfiles in the
- Open your browser (Chrome, Firefox preferred) and open
- To open on your phone, find your IP address and open
http://[YOUR-IP-ADDRESS]:8000/in your phone’s mobile browser
- To see what is pushed up to the
- Stand up with your laptop and say “Git your map right here!”
Other steps to consider
- Geocoding with QGIS (an open-source GUI GIS app) or command line geoprocessing tools