CSC 485A + SENG 480A, 2022, Spring Semester
This course aims to give students the tools and skills to rapidly develop and transform innovative ideas (of their own choosing) into working projects utilizing advanced mobile, social, cloud, and web technologies. In particular, students will experience the style of development activity that is common in a new startup company. The project based course will be augmented by a series of lectures to accelerate learning with new web technologies, product design, agile development practices, user interface design, and project management. During the term, students will work in teams of 5 students. Each team will be closely mentored by several staff members (including the instructors and one or more members from industry). Students will gain valuable technical skills and experience working in small teams, while facing real-world challenges that include a tight schedule, hard deadlines, and self directed learning.
Projects will include designing and developing a live web system. Each team will also maintain a web page with project documentation and design documents.
Please note this is a tentative schedule. The slides and other materials will be available in the resources section.
|1||14 Jan, 2022||2:00-2:30
|2||21 Jan, 2022|
|3||28 Jan, 2022|
|4||4 Feb, 2022|
|5||11 Feb, 2022|
|6||18 Feb, 2022|
|7||25 Feb, 2022|
|8||4 Mar, 2022||
Nicole Smith, Founder & CEO, Flytographer
Brandon Wright, Founder & CEO, BRNKL
Humaira Ahmed, Founder & CEO, Locelle Digital Inc.
Brad van Vugt, Founder & CEO, Battlesnake
David Yarish, Founder & CEO, Tutela Technologies
|9||11 Mar, 2022|
|10||18 Mar, 2022|
|11||25 Mar, 2022|
|12||1 Apr, 2022|
|15 Apr, 2022|
- Rob Bennett, COO and Program Director, ViaTec
- Sam Mod, CEO and Co-Founder, Freshworks Studio
- Steven Myhill-Jones, Entrepreneur/Investor and Founder of Lattitude Geographics
- Brandon Wright, Founder and CEO, BRNKL
- Alessandra Maciel Paz Milani, PhD Student, UVic and Course TA
- Claudia Smith, Professor, School of Business, UVic
- Margaret-Anne Storey, Professor, Computer Science, UVic
- Humaira Ahmed, Locelle Digital Inc.
- Steve Graham, Consulting CTO and Architect
- Juan Orrego, Cuboh
- Aislinn Sirk, Research Partnerships and Innovation Manager, UVic
- Matthew Smith and Nick Addison, Mazumago
- Nicole Smith, Flytographer
- Brad van Vugt, Co Founder & CEO, Battlesnake
- David Yarish, Tutela
Alumni Mentors and Presenters from prior UVic Startup courses:
- Alexey Zagalsky (Founder of the course at UVic and Tel Aviv!)
- Cliff McCollum
- Ian Bull
- Gregory Schier
- Eirini Kalliamvakou
- Arie van Deursen
Teams and Projects:
Office Hour: By appointment and by zoom. Friday 11:00am-12:00pm over zoom (please message on Slack or send email to set an alternative meeting time)
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This doesn't include the students' projects, which are hosted on separate repositories and each have their own license.
Intellectual Property Ownership
Students are asked to consult with the project participant agreement. UVic will agree to waive its interest in such IP under the following conditions:
- A class list and list of associated projects (contained with the attached Project Participant Agreement) is provided to ORS (via RPKM) within 1 month of the start date of the course, and
- That the students make their IP developed during the course freely available to other students taking the course for learning purpose only for the duration of the course
- Each student participating signs the attached “Project Participation Agreement” (PPA) where they acknowledge they will not use any faculty IP/University owned IP in their project.
For projects that may wish to commercialize their projects, a different will be used (and discussed in class). More details will be posted here shortly.