"We have no nation, no philosophy, no ideology. We go where we're needed, chucking not for country, not for government, but for ourselves. We need no reason to chuck. We chuck because we are needed. We will be the deterrent for those with no other recourse. We are chuckers without borders, our purpose defined by the era we live in."
― Big Boss
What is chuckpad-social?
chuckpad-social is an upload-download service for ChucK patches in the MiniAudicle for iPad app. The service is designed to help people learn more about ChucK through examples and encourage people to build and share their own creations with the world. Visit chuckpad-social on Heroku. chuckpad-social has an iOS library that wraps its API. Although originally designed with ChucK and MiniAudicle in mind, you can use chuckpad-social to share anything and the service supports hosting different types of data! chuckpad-social is built using lots of stuff including Sinatra, ActiveRecord, Postgres, and lots of gems developed by the vibrant Ruby community.
- Install RVM:
\curl -sSL https://get.rvm.io | bash
- When you cd into the chuckpad-social directory, you may be prompted to install the right version of Ruby. Do so if needed. Example:
rvm install ruby-2.5.1
- If you just installed a new version of Ruby, you'll likely need to get the bundler gem first:
gem install bundle
- Install the rest of the gems:
ARCHFLAGS="-arch x86_64" bundle installIf you are getting errors running this, try running
xcode-select --installas this has cleared up issues for other people.
- Install Postgres and create the database if you have not yet. On the command-line, run
CREATE DATABASE "chuckpad-social";
bundle exec rake db:migrateto run all migrations on the database.
- Run the service locally:
bundle exec rerun 'rackup -p 9292'.
- Locally visit localhost:9292. If you see connection errors when you visit this page, you need to lanuch the Postgres app! As files are changed the rerun gem will automatically reload the app.
- If you need to reset database on Heroku:
heroku pg:reset DATABASE --app chuckpad-social --confirm chuckpad-socialand then
heroku run rake db:migrate --app chuckpad-social. If you need to reset the database locally, run
DROP DATABASE chuckpad-social;.
Improvements are appreciated and always welcome! If you'd like to work on features on the roadmap, feel free to view our project task page on Asana. You'll need to log into your Asana account.
- hello-chuckpad is a "Hello, World" project that uses this service with a suite of unit tests to verify the interactions between this iOS library and the service.
- chuckpad-social-ios is the iOS API that interacts with this service.
- miniAudicle is the first iOS app that uses the chuckpad-social service.
Heroku Config Variables
If you deploy your own instance of chuckpad-social on Heroku, you'll need to set a few config variables to get everything working nicely.
- RACK_COOKIE_SECRET - random string used to ensure integrity of cookie data when logging in on web
- RACK_ENV - should be
- SENDGRID_API_KEY - API key from the Sendgrid service which is used to send confirmation and password reset emails
- EMAIL_FROM_ADDRESS - Email address shown on emails sent via Sendgrid (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org)
- EMAIL_FROM_NAME - Name shown on emails sent via Sendgrid (e.g. ChuckPad Mailer)
These are automatically set by Heroku and can be left alone:
- DATABASE_URL - database URL that you can use to connect directly to the database (format of URL is postgres://user:password@host:port/database)
- Add SPF record to avoid Gmail's "message is authenticated" warning
- Publish config/env.rb to Heroku with
- You need a
config/env.rbfile to get cookies and email sending working properly locally.
Links and Resources