Clone this wiki locally
WordPhone - a WordPress plugin to add voice calling to your WordPress site
WordPhone provides a widget that you can add to your theme and allow visitors to simply click the button and call you directly or to call any voice application hosted on a service such as Tropo.com. Visitors do not need any extra program - the plugin uses Phono to launch the call directly in the visitor's browser using a Flash plugin.
The widget is skinnable so that you can make it fit with your theme and site.
This plugin has been tested with WordPress 3.0, 2.8.5 and WordPress MU 2.9.2.
Note that as this plugin provides a widget for use in your theme, the theme you are using does need to support widgets!
Copyright 2010 Mark Silverberg
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
- DOWNLOAD THE PLUGIN - Click the "Downloads" button on the Github page.
INSTALL THE PLUGIN - Copy it into your
- ACTIVATE PLUGIN - From your "Plugins" page in the WordPress admin area, activate the "WordPhone" plugin.
ADD THE WIDGET TO YOUR THEME - In your WordPress admin, click on "Appearance" and then "Widgets". You will now be able to drag the "WordPhone" widget to the sidebar or other area of your theme that supports widgets.
CONFIGURE THE WIDGET - After you drop the widget in a sidebar, you will see options that you can configure:
- Title - appears above the button in most themes
- Phono API Key - you need to create a (free) Phono account and get an API key to paste in here.
- Connect To: - this is either the regular phone number or SIP address you want to connect to or the ID of an application on Tropo.com or Voxeo's Evolution platform
- Numeric keypad option - if you are connecting to an application where you want people to make choices based on key presses, you can display this keypad
- Call Button Text - if you want something beyond simply "Call" you can enter the text here (for instance, you could have one button that says "Call Support" and a separate button that said "Call Sales")
- Instructions To Users - blank by default but available if you want to clue users in to the fact that the call will happen through their browser - or any other info. This text shows up between the title and the actual button.
START MAKING CALLS! - After these steps you will now see a button in your sidebar (or other widget area) with a call button similar to this:
If you run into any issues with this plugin, please look at existing issues or raise a new issue.
I have a number of ideas for this plugin, including:
- Add chat capability, probably as a second widget
Thank you for using this plugin.