Localize-Swift is a simple framework that improves i18n and localization in Swift iOS apps - providing cleaner syntax and in-app language switching.
- Keep the Localizable.strings file your app already uses.
- Allow your users to change the app's language without changing their device language.
- Use .localized() instead of NSLocalizedString(key,comment) - a more Swifty syntax.
- Generate your strings with a new genstrings swift/python script that recognises .localized().
Import Localize at the top of each Swift file that will contain localized text.
If CocoaPods -
.localized() following any
String object you want translated:
textLabel.text = "Hello World".localized()
To get an array of available localizations:
To change the current language:
To update the UI in the view controller where a language change can take place, observe LCLLanguageChangeNotification:
NotificationCenter.default.addObserver(self, selector: #selector(setText), name: NSNotification.Name(LCLLanguageChangeNotification), object: nil)
To reset back to the default app language:
To support this new i18n syntax, Localize-Swift includes custom genstrings swift script.
Copy the genstrings.swift file into your project's root folder and run with
This will print the collected strings in the terminal. Select and copy to your default Localizable.strings.
The script includes the ability to specify excluded directories and files (by editing the script).
The Swift Package Manager is now the preferred tool for distributing Localize-Swift.
From Xcode 11+ :
- Select File > Swift Packages > Add Package Dependency. Enter
https://github.com/marmelroy/Localize-Swift.gitin the "Choose Package Repository" dialog.
- In the next page, specify the version resolving rule as "Up to Next Major" with "3.2.0".
- After Xcode checked out the source and resolving the version, you can choose the "Localize-Swift" library and add it to your app target.
For more info, read Adding Package Dependencies to Your App from Apple.
Alternatively, you can also add Localize-Swift to your
dependencies: [ .package(url: "https://github.com/marmelroy/Localize-Swift.git", .upToNextMajor(from: "3.2.0")) ]
Setting up with Carthage
Carthage is a decentralized dependency manager that automates the process of adding frameworks to your Cocoa application.
You can install Carthage with Homebrew using the following command:
$ brew update $ brew install carthage
To integrate Localize-Swift into your Xcode project using Carthage, specify it in your
source 'https://github.com/CocoaPods/Specs.git' pod 'Localize-Swift', '~> 3.2'