MakerBot Unicorn G-Code Output for Inkscape
This extension is no longer supported or maintained. The last tested version of Inkscape is 0.48.5.
Please feel free to fork and improve this extension for your own needs!
This is an Inkscape extension that allows you to save your Inkscape drawings as G-Code files suitable for plotting with the MakerBot Unicorn Pen Plotter.
Users who use this extension to generate G-Code for a machine other than a MakerBot CupCake CNC with a Unicorn Pen Plotter attachment do so at their own risk.
Author: Marty McGuire
- Marty McGuire pulled this all together into an Inkscape extension.
- Inkscape is an awesome open source vector graphics app.
- Scribbles is the original DXF-to-Unicorn Python script.
- The Egg-Bot Driver for Inkscape provided inspiration and good examples for working with Inkscape's extensions API.
Copy the contents of
src/ to your Inkscape
Typical locations include:
- OS X -
- Linux -
- Windows -
- Size and locate your image appropriately:
- The CupCake CNC build platform size is 100mm x 100mm.
- Setting units to mm in Inkscape makes it easy to size your drawing.
- The extension will automatically attempt to center everything.
- Convert all text to paths:
- Select all text objects.
- Choose Path | Object to Path.
- Save as G-Code:
- File | Save a Copy.
- Select MakerBot Unicorn G-Code (*.gcode).
- Save your file.
- For OS X, Pleasant3D is great for this.
- For other operating systems... I don't know!
- Open your
.gcodefile in ReplicatorG
- Set up your Unicorn and pen.
- Center your build platform.
- Click the Build button!
- Open your
*Pathto be less misleading.
- Formalize "home" to be a reasonable place to change pages/pens.
- Parameterize smoothness for curve approximation.
- Use native curve G-Codes instead of converting to paths?
- Include example templates?