This is a feature release, adding new features while maintaining compatibility with existing 4.0 voices.
New features for expressive TTS
- Prosody control for HMM-based voices. Using the SSML
<prosody>tag, it is now possible to control the intonation generated for HMM-based voices from markup.
Of particular interest is the "contour" attribute, which allows you to change the shape of the intonation curve.
For details and examples, see ProsodySpecificationSupport.
- Expressive vocalizations in certain unit selection voices.
MaryXML now supports a new
<vocalization>tag, with which you can request the generation of non-verbal or para-verbal expressions as they are often produced by the listener in a conversation, such as "yeah", "m-hm", laughter, sigh, etc.
For details and examples, see VocalizationSynthesis.
- For British English, we release HMM-based versions of the four voices Poppy, Spike, Obadiah and Prudence.
- Updated versions of many of the previously existing voices, with improved quality.
Bugfixes and other improvements
- Faster startup times.
MARY 4.1.0 starts nearly twice as fast and needs about 30% less physical memory compared to MARY 4.0.0, due to the use of memory mapping for unit selection voices.
- Quality of German and English components improved.
A number of bugs were fixed which had degraded the quality of the synthesis results in MARY 4.0.0:
- Multiple bugs were also fixed under the surface.
For a full list, see http://mary.opendfki.de/query?status=closed&group=resolution&milestone=4.1
For more background information, please also refer to the Release notes of MARY 4.0.0.