Django ORM Standalone Application
This repository doesn't ship with a django installation. The system must have an existing django installation so that we can safely import required modules. A django app is absolutely not required. Among other requirements is the db backend. If you're planning to use mysql or pgsql - please make sure you have all dependencies met. This code works on Django 1.11.
settings.py - The Django settings module. Contains the database configuration in it. Modify this file to match your database credentials.
manage.py - The famous manage.py script from django projects.
main.py - This where we write codes. This is just a sample file to demonstrate how to import models.
data - The data directory works as a django application and contains the models.py which is where you put your models according to django conventions
How to setup?
- git clone the source as a starting point
- Change to your project directory
- Create a new python3 virtualenv:
python3 -m venv .env
- Activate the virtualenv:
- Install Django:
pip install django
How to use?
- Generate a new
SECRET_KEYfor your settings.py.
- Modify settings.py to add your database connection parameters.
- Open "data/models.py". Modify existing model or add your own.
python manage.py makemigrationsto make migration scripts
python manage.py migrateto create the tables and sync db changes. Feel free to use other manage.py commands available for django orm.
- Every time you make changes to models or change db parameters, don't forget to run the migrations.