Tantivy is a full text search engine library written in rust.
Tantivy is, in fact, strongly inspired by Lucene's design.
Tantivy is typically faster than Lucene, but the results will depend on the nature of the queries in your workload.
The following benchmark break downs performance for different type of queries / collection.
- Full-text search
- Configurable tokenizer. (stemming available for 17 latin languages. Third party support for Chinese (tantivy-jieba and cang-jie) and Japanese
- Fast (check out the
🐎 ✨benchmark ✨ 🐎)
- Tiny startup time (<10ms), perfect for command line tools
- BM25 scoring (the same as lucene)
- Natural query language
(michael AND jackson) OR "king of pop"
- Phrase queries search (
- Incremental indexing
- Multithreaded indexing (indexing English Wikipedia takes < 3 minutes on my desktop)
- Mmap directory
- SIMD integer compression when the platform/CPU includes the SSE2 instruction set.
- Single valued and multivalued u64 and i64 fast fields (equivalent of doc values in Lucene)
- Text, i64, u64, dates and hierarchical facet fields
- LZ4 compressed document store
- Range queries
- Faceted search
- Configurable indexing (optional term frequency and position indexing)
- Cheesy logo with a horse
- Distributed search is out of the scope of tantivy. That being said, tantivy is meant as a library upon which one could build a distributed search. Serializable/mergeable collector state for instance, are within the scope of tantivy.
Supported OS and compiler
Tantivy works on stable rust (>= 1.27) and supports Linux, MacOS and Windows.
- tantivy's simple search example
- tantivy-cli and its tutorial.
tantivy-cliis an actual command line interface that makes it easy for you to create a search engine, index documents and search via the CLI or a small server with a REST API. It will walk you through getting a wikipedia search engine up and running in a few minutes.
- [reference doc]
Tantivy compiles on stable rust but requires
Rust >= 1.27.
To check out and run tests, you can simply run :
git clone https://github.com/tantivy-search/tantivy.git cd tantivy cargo build
Some tests will not run with just
cargo test because of
To run the tests exhaustively, run
How can I support this project ?
There are many ways to support this project.