This is a template for the excellent Middleman static site generator that incorporates ZURB Foundation 4 and reasonable defaults for building out a blog. As with all Middleman templates, using Bundler and rbenv is recommended.
- middleman-blog 3.2
- Zurb Foundation 4.2
- Font Awesome 3.2
- Many elements and defaults from HTML5 Boilerplate
- A warning overlay presented to older IE browsers (< IE9)
- Google Analytics integration
- Disqus integration
- Automatic XML Sitemap creation on build
- A sensible mobile-first starter layout for a blog. You will most likely want to make numerous changes to the styling - I didn't make any assumptions about the design. Don't judge it on its looks, this isn't a blog theme, it is meant to be a foundation to build on.
~/.middleman (you'll have to create it if it doesn't exist). You can then use it with the
--template flag on
mkdir -p ~/.middleman
git clone git://github.com/mattolson/middleman-zurb-template.git ~/.middleman/zurb-foundation
middleman init my_new_project --template=zurb-foundation
cd my_new_project && bundle install
Removing blog functionality
This template is still a good starting point for sites that don't require blogging functions. To remove blog-specific stuff:
git rm source/blog/*
git rm source/layouts/article.erb
- Remove middleman-blog from Gemfile.
- Remove blog-related styles from source/stylesheets/base.css.scss. They are all at the bottom of the file grouped together under the header "Blog Articles".
- Remove blog-related settings from config.rb. They are all grouped at the top under the header "Blog Settings".
- Update the home page (source/index.html.erb) to do something more relevant to your site.
Two sites that I know of that use this template as a starting point (if there are more, let me know!):