JOUR407 Data Visualization
Course materials for a data visualization course taught at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln's College of Journalism and Mass Communications.
About this course
This course is first and foremost an experiment in student learning at a journalism school. It is not an online course. These materials are here to augment the classroom experience. The materials here are being posted publicly and are open for use, reuse or contributions if you so desire.
- Introduce students to data visualization tools and techniques
- Understand the theories of what makes for good data visualization
- Get hands on with gathering, cleaning, refining and analyzing data before visualization
- Get hands on with programmatic tools for analysis and visualization in R
- Learn to apply best practices for good data visualization to each of the data visualization tools
- Get experience using GitHub for version control
- Get experience with other development environments when working with code.