Writing for Azure Tips and Tricks
Got an awesome Azure Tip or Trick that you'd like to share with the internet? Not sure how to go about sharing it? Well, I think you should write for Azure Tips and Tricks! Here’s how to get started ...
Who can contribute?
Anyone! It doesn't matter if you have never blogged before or a veteran blogger.
How often can I contribute?
2 posts a month. Write more frequently if you want to increase your visibility and build your personal brand.
What should I write about?
- Topics that matter to you, your clients, colleagues, etc.
- A specific niche within Azure.
- A personal experience that taught you a lesson or two.
- A valuable insight no one else can offer.
- The pros and cons about a feature or service.
- Educate your colleagues about a new process, practice or technology that solved an issue for you.
What is the blog engine that your site runs under?
I use Jekyll and the Minimal Mistake theme. The entire site is hosted on GitHub in a public repo
What do you expect posts to be written in?
I use Markdown and you can use this file as a template.
Tips for writers
- Articles should be 200-400 words (The average time spent on a tip or trick is less than 2 minutes).
- Start with a headline and follow with an outline.
- Limit your introduction; get to the point.
- Offering advice? Provide three action items or takeaways.
- Anecdotes help provide color and make your article unique.
- Use simple, direct prose and active verbs.
- No blatant commercials for you or your company. A one-liner is OK though.
- Every writer needs an editor. Ask a colleague to review your article to make sure the points you make are clear before you submit it.
How do I submit an article?
Send the markdown file and images to email@example.com
Do I need to provide images?
YES! but please do not send copyrighted material. I typically use .PNG images at a high resolution (think 1080p or better)
What happens after I submit my article?
I'll review it for content and determine an available slot. Often I'll ask you to make some edits, such as elaborating on aspects of the piece that I think readers will find interesting. When the article is ready for publication, you’ll be notified so that you’ll know when to visit and see your byline!
Do you edit my article?
I hope that I won't have to as this is being run by 1 person. :) I reserve the right to edit all article headlines and other content to ensure that contributed articles are read by as many of our community members as possible.
Do you publish archival content?
Submissions should be written or recorded specifically for publication in Azure Tips and Tricks. If you have previously published content that seems particularly well suited for our audience, I'd be happy to review it.
What about publication rights?
All submissions become the property of Azure Tips and Tricks upon publication.
Do you take paid contributions?
No, I do not take money for contributed tips and tricks, and any contributors who are paid to insert links should disclose or risk the end of our relationship and their stories being removed from our site.
Who do I contact if I have additional questions?
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about contributing. I'm here to help!