SiloZippr aims to be a push-based realtime newsreader. It can combine various timelines into a single one. And if you've read the news, you simply delete them from the database. No need to build another silo...
SiloZippr is realtime in two ways:
- It combines node.js, WebSockets and Apache CouchDB to build a newsreader, where every new entry to the database will get pushed to your browser, which gives you a down-to-zero delay compared to traditional polling.
- Subscription of pubsubhubbub-enabled feeds using the Pubsubhubbub protocol. Services using PubSubHubBub: wordpress.com, feedburner.com, Google Alerts etc
- (experimental) By using superfeedr.com you can get updates pushed to you.
At the moment three different sources can be used to fill SiloZippr with new entries:
- traditional rss/atom feed polling through a builtin feed aggregator.
- Twitter through their streaming-api. You will get new tweets in your timeline with zero delay.
- (experimental) superfeedr.com through their XMPP API. Superfeedr is a really cool service, which handles the feed aggregation in realtime for you. Means: If Superfeedr detects updates for a subscribed feed, SiloZippr gets a push notification from Superfeedr. If the subscribed feed enables Pubsubhubbub the updates will happen in realtime. In fact Superfeedr is a paid service, but new users have 25000 notifications for free at start, so you can test it without any hassle.
- Install node.js. https://github.com/joyent/node/wiki/Installation or https://github.com/joyent/node/wiki/Installing-Node.js-via-package-manager
- Install "libexpat1-dev" for node-xmpp (when using superfeedr)
- Install silozippr:
git clone email@example.com:mborho/silozippr.git silozippr cd silozippr npm install node bin/server.js
Copy config.json.example to config.json. Single services can be enabled/disabled.
- add the credentials for your CouchDb. You can of course use free CouchDB services like IrisCouch or Cloudant!
- add your login data into the app section
- to setup twitter delivery, got to http://dev.twitter.com to create an app and add the required tokens to the twitter part of json.config
- to enable Superfeedr enter your login and password to the Superfeedr part of the config.json
It's recommended to use a process monitor like Supervisord to run SiloZippr.
What's on the TODO list?
- distribe via NPM
- archive function
- share items with the world through a pubsubhubbub enabled feed
- integration of services to share items, like instapaper, bookmark services etc.
more twitter features like posting status updates, retweeting and inline media.
- handling of malicious markup
- rebuild UI with Enyo
- add clients for more silos, like G+ for example
- get it run on PaaS platforms lke http://nodester.com or http://cloudno.de. Problem is node-xmpp dependencies.
- test, tests
css framework / icons used
License (Affero GPL 3)
Copyright (C) 2012 Martin Borho
This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Affero General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU Affero General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU Affero General Public License along with this program. If not, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.