Home Assistant configuration with home automations.
Home Assistant Version: 0.80.2
I utilize Home Assistant to bridge and automate all my home automation products. It was quickly realized as I expanded beyond some smart bulbs and a Wink hub, that nothing integrated into a single system for control, automation, and communication. Home Assistant originally was run on a Raspberry Pi 3 but I have since moved it to run as a docker container leveraging a MySQL docker backend. Those looking to start out with Home Assistant should leverage a Raspberry Pi 3 and hass.io image to get started very simply.
My configuration started from an early version of geekofweek's configuration and much of the automation and config is pulled from examples in his configuration. Home Assistant has many example configurations to leverage and I have published my configuration to share or reference for others.
Typical Automations in use include
- Turn on / off outside lights at sunset
- Turn on / off pantry light when door opens / closes
- Turn off lights after no activity / motion
- Grouping of lights for use with Alexa for commands
- Perform actions based on people leaving home / arriving home
- Update location for user based on geolocation zones (Work, School, Church, Home)
- Enable holiday color lights on outside lights via scenes
- Turn on lights based on motion / ring front door and return to previous theme after
- Send Text notification and flash lights if water detected in basement
- Send Text notification and flash lights if water detected by washing machine
- Cut power to washing machine if water detected by washing machine
- Send Text notification and flash lights if CO / Smoke detectors go off
- Send alert if Eth miner hashrate drops
- Send alert if power is lost at the house
- Enhance security system through extra sensors and motion reading
- Send alert if auxiliary / emergency heat is activated
- Send long term data to InfluxDB for Grafana configuration
|Phillips Hue Hub v2
||Used to control Phillips Hue Color, Lux, and White bulbs
|Wink Hub v1
||Used as a dumb hub to connect various Z-Wave and Lutron devices. No Wink Robots or schedules being utilized
Relevant hub configurations can be found within configuration.yaml
Phillips Hue hub connected via home-assistant integrations.
Wink hub connected with developer API account.
Lights are grouped via light_group.yaml
All Roomba related automations can be found in roomba.yaml
||Used as Home Assistant interface on mobile devices, not actively using for presence detection
|Locative iOS App
||Primary method of presence detection. App is no longer under active development but has been the most reliable solution with no battery impact
||Primary method of text notification for emergency alerting. SNS queues are subscribed by phones that require notification.
||Installation on Docker
||Home Assistant install runs as a Docker Container utilizing MySQL docker database
||Ad blocking. Primary instance runs within a Docker container and the secondary runs on a Raspberry-pi 3
||Long Term data retention for select metrics. Instance runs within a Docker container with Grafana.
||Display of long term data from InfluxDB feeds. Instance runs within a Docker container with InfluxDB.
|Home Assistant Management Tool
||Custom Shell script for managing Home Assistant. Modified from geekofweek version found here.