USB-Backup is a free backup solution for creating encrypted backups to external USB media.
For the compression and the backup format itself the proven and very stable software 7-Zip is used.
- local disks, such as the system disk C: can be backed up by using shadow copies (warning, this requires administrator privileges)
- the use of the program is user-friendly and has been developed in cooperation with users
- Network drives and UNC paths can also be backed up
- Installation: no setup, just one AutoIT script (put together into one executable)
- during the initial backup, a password is set - without a password, you can not back up!
- when the external disk will be lost, a stranger can not really see what was backed up
- only username@pc are stored plaintext, but this is used to distinguish the backups in case of emergency
- an encrypted index is stored on the external disk, so that a restore at any time and on any computer is possible
- to each directory, you can create exception lists
- after a setable time, USB-Backup reminds the user to update the existing backup
- the degree of compression and other 7-Zip parameters can be completely adapted in the USB Backup.ini
- Automatic updates of program and help file are possible, but you can disable this also
- the help file is currently not finished, sorry about that :(
- you can help me with that :)
- Intel Pentium III, 500MHz, 512MB RAM, 2MB Harddisk
- Operation System:
- Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10
- Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2012
- for restoring the backups, 7-Zip Zstd is needed
- the program does not require installation and is run under default user privileges
- USB-Backup should be put into the Startup folder, so that it starts with windows - it is seen then in the system tray
- the per user configuration can be found in this folder: %APPDATA%\USB-Backup