Fast master promotion (historical document)
These commands allow fast promotion of a slave to a master. It is fast because it can be done without restarting the slave. Storage engines with dirty pages, such as InnoDB, can take a long time (more than a minute) to shutdown.
Features in the V1 and V2 patch
- MAKE MASTER REVOKE SESSION
- MAKE MASTER REVOKE SESSION WITH KILL
- MAKE MASTER GRANT SESSION
Features only in the V1 patch
SQL statements include:
- MAKE MASTER MASTER_LOG_FILE=<log_file>, MASTER_SERVER_ID= [WITH BINLOG]
- MAKE MASTER MASTER_LOG_FILE=<log_file>, MASTER_SERVER_ID=, INDEX=<log_file.index> [WITH BINLOG]
MAKE MASTER MASTER_LOG_FILE ...
This enables the use of the binlog on a slave without restarting mysqld.
MAKE MASTER REVOKE SESSION
This prevents non-SUPER users from connecting. When the
WITH KILL option is used, current non-SUPER connections are killed.
MAKE MASTER GRANT SESSION
This allows non-SUPER users to connect.