Django Local Library
Tutorial "Local Library" website written in Django.
For detailed information about this project see the associated MDN tutorial home page.
This web application creates an online catalog for a small local library, where users can browse available books and manage their accounts.
The main features that have currently been implemented are:
- There are models for books, book copies, genre, language and authors.
- Users can view list and detail information for books and authors.
- Admin users can create and manage models. The admin has been optimised (the basic registration is present in admin.py, but commented out).
- Librarians can renew reserved books
To get this project up and running locally on your computer:
- Set up the Python development environment. We recommend using a Python virtual environment.
- Assuming you have Python setup, run the following commands (if you're on Windows you may use
py -3instead of
pythonto start Python):
pip3 install -r requirements.txt python3 manage.py makemigrations python3 manage.py migrate python3 manage.py collectstatic python3 manage.py test # Run the standard tests. These should all pass. python3 manage.py createsuperuser # Create a superuser python3 manage.py runserver
- Open a browser to
http://127.0.0.1:8000/admin/to open the admin site
- Create a few test objects of each type.
- Open tab to
http://127.0.0.1:8000to see the main site, with your new objects.