Ironfan Homebase: Master Plans for a Scalable Architecture
The Infochimps Ironfan project is an expressive toolset for constructing scalable, resilient architectures. It works in the cloud, in the data center, and on your laptop, and it makes your system diagram visible and inevitable. What do we mean by inevitable you ask? Glad you asked. By inevitable we mean that with the information you provide about your system, it can, without additional intervention, attend to your system by directing it in how to attend to itself automatically. ...SYAFLAG:errr way better explanation needed here, but do want to explain "inevitable"
The Ironfan repository is the central home for orchestrating your architecture. It unifies:
- cookbooks, roles, and environments
- cluster descriptions
- your Chef and cloud credentials
- pantries (collections of cookbooks, roles and so forth)
ironfan-homebase works together with the full Ironfan toolset:
- ironfan-homebase: Centralizes the cookbooks, roles and clusters. A solid foundation for any chef user.
- ironfan gem: The core Ironfan models, and Knife plugins to orchestrate machines and coordinate truth among your homebase, cloud and chef server.
- ironfan-pantry: Our collection of industrial-strength, cloud-ready recipes for Hadoop, HBase, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, Zabbix and more.
silverware cookbook: Helps you coordinate discovery of services ("list all the machines for
awesome_webapp, that I might load balance them") and aspects ("list all components that write logs, that I might logrotate them, or that I might monitor the free space on their volumes").
- ironfan-ci: Continuous integration testing of not just your cookbooks, but of your architecture as well. Fancy huh?
- ironfan wiki: High-level documentation and install instructions.
- ironfan issues: Bugs or questions and feature requests for any part of the Ironfan toolset.
- ironfan gem docs: Rdoc docs for Ironfan
Before you start, fork this repo, as you'll be personalizing it for your use.
Clone the repo and all of its submodules:
git clone https://github.com/infochimps-labs/ironfan-homebase homebase cd homebase git submodule foreach git checkout master git submodule update --init
Now follow the detailed install notes in
In the Install notes you'll notice the Git clone instructions again, we just want to make sure you're on the right track.