Group Project #2
The Interstellar Universe ------ Check out our application!
Project Description --- A learning platform based on space data in which users can select specific topics to explore. The home page will display space and georgraphical data based on the user's location and allow them the opportunity to take a space quiz on a seperate page, in which they will be added to the database of users who have completed the quiz as well.
Final application screesnshot -
-- created by Team Funtastic 4
APIs and Technologies used
- NASA APOD API - to provide NASA's 'Image of the Day' with description
- Weather API - based on location input
- Ebay's Finding API - to provide product search results on our 'products' page
- spaceDB - created API Get and Post requests to our own MySQL database for the quiz page of the app
- Live Space Station Tracking Map & The Spot The Station widget - shows where the Space Station is right now lets you display ISS
sighting opportunities based on exact location.
Rough Breakdown of Tasks
Use a Node and Express Web Server; Done
Be backed by a MySQL Database an ORM (not necessarily Sequelize); Done with spaceDB
Have both GET and POST routes for retrieving and adding new data; Get routes were created with all API's and Post routes to the spaceDB adds on new user information
Be deployed using Heroku (with Data); Done
Have a polished frontend / UI; Done
Have folder structure that meets MVC Paradigm; Done
Meet good quality coding standards (indentation, scoping, naming). Done
Must not expose sensitive API key information on the server, see Protecting-API-Keys-In-Node.md Utilized process.env in numerous areas to keep our API keys safe