Community is a Ruby on Rails 3.1 application which runs on Ruby 1.9.2+ and PostgreSQL databases. Other databases like MySQL or SQLite are not officially supported.
Setting Up a Development Copy: Step by Step
To install a development version of Community, follow these steps:
- Fork our GitHub repository: http://github.com/mendicant-original/community
- Clone the fork to your computer
- If you don't already have bundler installed, get it by running
gem install bundler
bundle installto install all of the project's dependencies
- Finally, run
rake setupto create the required config files, create the database, and seed it with data
To make things even easier, you can copy and paste this into your terminal once you've got the project cloned to your computer
gem install bundler bundle install bundle exec rake setup
Features and bugs are tracked through Github Issues.
Contributors retain copyright to their work but must agree to release their contributions under the Affero GPL version 3.
If you would like to help with developing Community, just file a ticket in our issue tracker and we will find something to keep you busy.
Submitting a Pull Request
- If a ticket doesn't exist for your bug or feature, get in touch with us FIRST
- Create a ticket describing your idea or fix
- Don't start working on your patch until you've heard back from a maintainer
- We are being very picky about what features we're going to support, and it breaks our hearts when we need to turn away perfectly good patches. So please reach out to us first
- Fork the project
- Create a topic branch
- Implement your feature or bug fix
- Add documentation for your feature or bug fix
- Add tests for your feature or bug fix
rake testIf your changes are not 100% covered, go back to step 6
- If your change affects something in this README, please update it
- Commit and push your changes
- Submit a pull request
Community is released under the Affero GPL version 3.
If you wish to contribute to Community, you will retain your own copyright but must agree to license your code under the same terms as the project itself.
Community - a Mendicant University project