Skulls - not quite Heads
pre-built coreboot images with an easy installation process
Skulls makes it easy to install an unlocked, up-to-date and easy to use coreboot-based BIOS on your laptop.
- unlocked: software update after first-time flashing / no restrictions for connected hardware
- easy to use: SeaBIOS - simply a boot menu, compatible with Windows and Linux
- up to date: Frequently a new image with the latest versions of all components
When do we do a release?
- There is a new SeaBIOS release,
- There is a new Intel microcode release (for our CPU model),
- There is new coreboot development that affects us, or
- We change the config
How we build
- Everything necessary to build coreboot is included here
- When doing a release, we always try to upload to coreboot's board status project
- If we add out-of-tree patches, we always post them for review upstream
- The scripts to build reproducibly are based on these scripts that use the coreboot-sdk.
We aim to be the easiest possible coreboot distribution - both to install and to use. And since our flash image is unlocked to enable software updates, it's easy to move to alternative systems from it:
- Heads - a coreboot distribution with pre-built (or reproducibly buildable) flash images (for the X230 and others). Heads includes Linux, with tools to create a trusted boot chain using your GPG key and the TPM.
- libreboot - a coreboot distribution with pre-built image releases. The X230 is currently not supported (the X200 is) - libreboot images are built from free software only and include the GRUB bootloader.