Django REST framework
Django REST framework makes it easy to build well-connected, self-describing RESTful Web APIs.
- Creates awesome self-describing web browse-able APIs.
- Clean, modular design, using Django's class based views.
- Easily extended for custom content types, serialization formats and authentication policies.
- Stable, well tested code-base.
- Active developer community.
Full documentation for the project is available at http://django-rest-framework.org
- Python (2.5, 2.6, 2.7 supported)
- Django (1.2, 1.3 supported)
To clone the project from GitHub using git:
git clone email@example.com:tomchristie/django-rest-framework.git
To clone the project from Bitbucket using mercurial:
hg clone https://firstname.lastname@example.org/tomchristie/django-rest-framework
To install django-rest-framework in a virtualenv environment:
cd django-rest-framework virtualenv --no-site-packages --distribute --python=python2.6 env source env/bin/activate pip install -r requirements.txt # django, coverage
To run the tests:
export PYTHONPATH=. # Ensure djangorestframework is on the PYTHONPATH python djangorestframework/runtests/runtests.py
To run the test coverage report:
export PYTHONPATH=. # Ensure djangorestframework is on the PYTHONPATH python djangorestframework/runtests/runcoverage.py
To run the examples:
pip install -r examples/requirements.txt # pygments, httplib2, markdown cd examples export PYTHONPATH=.. python manage.py syncdb python manage.py runserver
To build the documentation:
pip install -r docs/requirements.txt # sphinx sphinx-build -c docs -b html -d docs/build docs html
To run the tests against the full set of supported configurations:
deactivate # Ensure we are not currently running in a virtualenv tox
To create the sdist packages:
python setup.py sdist --formats=gztar,zip
- Fix some throttling bugs.
X-Throttleheader on throttling.
- Support for nesting resources on related models.
- Throttling support complete.
- Couple of simple bugfixes over 0.2.0
- Big refactoring changes since 0.1.0, ask on the discussion group if anything isn't clear. The public API has been massively cleaned up. Expect it to be fairly stable from here on in.
Resourcebecomes decoupled into
Resource, your views should now inherit from
- The handler functions on views
.get() .put() .post()etc, no longer have the
self.CONTENTinside a view to access the deserialized, validated content. Use
self.userinside a view to access the authenticated user.
anon_allowed_methodsare now defunct. if a method is defined, it's available. The
permissionsattribute on a
Viewis now used to provide generic permissions checking. Use permission classes such as
IsUserOrIsAnonReadOnlyto set the permissions.
authentication. Class names change to
renderers. Class names change to
- The mixin classes have been nicely refactored, the basic mixins are now
ResourceMixinYou can reuse these mixin classes individually without using the
- Final build before pulling in all the refactoring changes for 0.2, in case anyone needs to hang on to 0.1.
- Initial release.