Clone this wiki locally
No real “installation” is required.
- Download the fm command (a Python script) to the computer you will use to launch computations.
- Create a filemap.conf file describing the nodes you are using.
- Run “fm init” once to prepare necessary directory structures on each node.
- Copy “fm” to each node in the computation and make sure it is in your PATH on each node.
- Python >= 2.4 (requires subprocess module)
If you’re using ssh (the default) to communicate between nodes, you will need to setup some form of authentication that doesn’t prompt you for a password each time. There are several options:
- Use an ssh keypair (private public key). Spread the private key all worker hosts as well as the “master”. Add the public key to all hosts’ `authorized_keys` file.
- As root, configure HostbasedAuthentication.
- Use a single sign-on infrastructure like Kerberos.
Also, for best performance, reconfigure your nodes’ sshd_config file to set MaxStartups to a number larger than the number of nodes in your cluster configuration. Otherwise, sshd rate-limiting may hurt the performance of replication and shuffle operations.