Open Nutrient Lattice
An Open Source Automated Food Production System
NOTE: These hardware designs are subject to rapid hardware and software design changes. This includes changes pushed to "master". Eventually we will move to a git workflow where only production changes will appear in master but we are not yet at that point.
10,000 Foot View
The eventual Goal is to create a low cost system that produces enough food to feed one person for one week every two weeks without any human interaction. This is going to be done via automation, microgreens and horizontally scaling production strategies.
- Minimize human interaction. Humans should pick up a ready to eat product.
- Minimize consumables. The only consumables should be, water, seeds, fertilizer, and electricity.
- Minimize maintenance.
- Follow principals outlined here
State of Development
Plants are now growing!
Plants have been gown to 1.5 weeks old. Harvested was forced when the roots clogged the drainage system.
v0.0.15 seeks to address by adding a 2.5cm buffer between the roots and the nearest drain holes.
Due to a developer travel v0.0.15 testing will be delayed till early December.
Things to be done
- Continue to scale up size and layers.
- Add filter to stop plants from clogging elements of the pump
- Add automated harvesting via "combing" the rows.
- Add automated bundling and packaging of plants.
- Add sensor suite for water management.
- Add sensor suite for uv light management.