osmdata.xyz | global osm extracts
This project provides global data extracts based on OpenStreetMap data as GeoPackages. Each extract represents its related primary feature respectively key value regarding the OpenStreetMap project. Every GeoPackage contains the four types of geometries: point, line, multilinestring and multipolygon. For each primary feature all prepared tags are always contained in the same way.
Extracts are available on
In a monthly cycle new extracts are provided. The first Planet Dump of each month from openstreetmap.org will be available 3 days later as it takes a while for the data to be processed.
Projection of the geodata: WGS 84 | EPSG 4326 | https://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/4326/
OpenStreetMap (OSM) offers an amazing collection of data. The information contained provides many possibilities to better understand the geogrpahy of the world, e.g. with the use of a geographic information system (GIS). There are many tools to create small extracts from OSM data: overpass-turbo (API) or other tools in QGIS/ArcGIS. A bigger challenge is creating ready to use GIS-compatible data sets from OSM, which cover whole countries, continents or even the whole world.
osmdata.xyz is my hobby and absolutely non-commercial. I'm happy to share open data, knowledge and insights.
Utilized tools to create extracts
- osmium --> https://osmcode.org/osmium-tool/
- gdal / ogr2ogr --> https://gdal.org/programs/ogr2ogr.html
Archive | old workflows
- imposm3 --> https://github.com/omniscale/imposm3 (see since 20190805)
- PostGIS / PostgreSQL --> https://postgis.net/
- osm2pgsql --> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osm2pgsql)
- primary (map) features --> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features
- planet file as osm.pbf --> https://planet.openstreetmap.org/
Recent improvements and changes
- BIG UPDATE will be implemented in March - adressing Issue #25: Switching from imposm/PostgreSQL to gdal/ogr2ogr for processing. Data model stays the same.
- Adding hstore field "other_tags" which contains all keys and tags who are related to the primary mapfeatues but not listed as main keys/tags.
- public_transport with relations included (e.g. routes of buses)
- adressing Issue #16 --> adding tents
- Providing ZIP-Files as Downloads. Switching back from 7zip to ZIP for better compatibility and usability.
- definition of geometrytype improve reading the content of a GeoPackage with QGIS
- new tags: internet_access, wifi
- all geometries of each map feature are stored in one GeoPackage
- new processing chain - imposm3 is used since the extracts from 20190805 - see workflow_scripts.
Copyright and License
Happy about feedback
Let me know, if you are happy or what could be improved. Please post an issue or write to email@example.com