All releases in the 3.x series are named after types of toothpaste.
3.1.0 "Tartar Control" (?? ???? 2014)
This release is still in development.
frontend: Ported API to
djangorestframework >=2.0.0(upstream incompatible changes). (Issue #55)
frontend: Migrate to Django 1.5. (Issue #56)
frontend: Add more device icons (Issues #48, #49)
scripts: Fix issue with OUI and protocol number scraper no longer working owing to upstream changes. (Issue #57)
3.0.2 "Cavity Protection" (20 July 2012)
This release includes security fixes, and is recommended for all users.
- Commenced cleanup of PEP8 warnings, wrote style guide documentation.
docs: Documented permissions.
frontend: Added extra reason why "cannot find MAC" page would display on the page.
frontend: Added labels to IPv4 port forwards. (Issue #15)
frontend: Added support for DHCP servers (dnsmasq and ISC) to notify when hosts come online / go offline. (Issue #32)
frontend: Default protocol of IPv4 port forwards is now TCP. (Issue #17)
frontend: Fix a bug where non-superusers could not sign in other users that are new, when they had the permission they would require.
frontend: New permissions:
frontend: New user profile flags to control the number of times a user may reset another user's quota, and the maximum amount of quota they may grant a user at sign-in.
frontend: Permission names are now much shorter.
frontend: Security: Fix a CSRF issue where a malicious user could trick an administrative user into toggling or revoking internet access for other users, toggling internet access for all users, and where it could trick a regular user into toggling their own internet access or (dis)owning hosts.
frontend: Usage graph now shows usage in the local time of the user, rather than UTC.
scripts: Added new OUI vendors, improved detection of Cisco. OUI scraper now grabs all vendors, even if it doesn't recognise them. Fixed some encoding issues when handling non-ASCII vendor names.
3.0.1 "Cavity Protection" (13th May 2012)
This is the first point release, intended for some bug fixing.
- Improve daemon behaviours so they write PID files, fix Debian init scripts so that you can stop the daemons properly. (Issue #29)
backend: Fix DBus service not working when run as a daemon.
backend: Fix integer overflow in get_all_users_quota_remaining for users who had used more than 4GB quota.
backend: Fix regression when
TPROXY-based captivity was introduced that broke port forwarding functionality.
backend: Fix backend continuing to count rejected connection attempts after quota has been exceeded. Quota will continue to be counted if it has been allowed through the standard mechanisms (so CARP setups may continue to show negative amounts). (Issue #20)
frontend: Added scraper detection for Foxconn, HTC, Murata, RIM and Samsung.
frontend: Added workaround for MySQL stopping accounting for quota at 4GB (
mysql_bigint_patch), migrated all byte counters to use bigger integers (limit is now about 8.16 EiB).
frontend: Fix missing CSRF toden on captive landing page, which would prevent you logging in using that view. (Issue #28)
frontend: Fix port forward user online colour always being red (no).
frontend: Fix template syntax error on internet-login-success page.
frontend: Fix template error on "my devices and quota" page when being offered a free reset (Issue #21)
frontend: Fix usage graph so that it shows the correct speed used (in KiB/s rather than KiB/ms). (Issue #30)
frontend: Improve display of quota when internet access has been revoked so it makes a bit more sense. (Issue #27)
frontend: Internet usage report now shows when quota is unmetered for a user. (Issue #22)
frontend: Port forward creator field is now filled in automatically, and no longer allows user changes of it. (Issue #16)
frontend: Prevented creation of new events with overlapping times, start times after the end date, or non-unique event names. (Issue #23)
3.0.0 "Cavity Protection" (5th May 2012)
This represents the first public stable release of tollgate (formerly portal2). Changes from 2.8.3 (September 2010):
- Added basic IPv4 port/protocol forwarding ability.
- Application migrated to
setuptools-based deployment, and can be hosted inside of another Django project in typical deployment. (Issue #7)
- Implemented proper rollover handling, so when there is no current event or the event changes, access is revoked appropriately. (Issue #13)
- Improved documentation.
- License changed to Affero GPL v3.
- Major repository shuffle and cleanups.
api: NetworkHost objects now report a bit more information about the vendor (not just the type of console), match many non-console items. Consoles are now identified by a new
backend: Tollgate backend daemonised, renamed files. Created init scripts.
backend: Configuration file absence now handled better. (Issue #10)
backend: Default configuration location is now
TPROXY-based captivity handler backported from experimental IPv6 branch.
builder: Added new
tollgatebuilderscript for experimental deployment documentation. ;)
frontend: Absence of
python-dbusis handled more gracefully, allowing testing and development of the frontend on non-DBUS systems (Windows).
frontend: Added system for automatically downloading and parsing MAC OUIs for system identification.
frontend: All StreetGeek and SAGA-specific authentication code has been removed, as well as all external authentication code.
frontend: All sign-ins and events are now handled locally, and locally administerable with sign-in wizard.
frontend: Platform-specific code has been abstracted out, and moved into seperate modules, with a dummy fallback module for non-supported platforms (non-Linux).
frontend: Use django.contrib.staticfiles. (Issue #8)
iplibis not available, also attempt to use
IPy. (David B)
frontend: Security: Fixed issue where arbitrary protocols would be included on the captive landing page, leading to XSS issue. (Reported by David B)
2.x Series (portal2)
These are changes which happened before the public source release of tollgate, when the project was still named "portal2".
2.8.3 (September 2010)
- Updated internal documentation.
- Removed documentation that isn't used anymore in favour of the wiki.
- "My devices and quota" now only updates the information from the kernel space if it hasn't happened in the last 2 minutes.
- API allows cookie-based authentication for faster authentication and better browser integration.
- Clustering support.
- UserProfile objects returned by the API now return the user's Forum UID, so username changes can be handled by API callers, and better integrate with the website.
- API now implements new
pythonoutput method, which is the output from the repr function.
2.8.2 (July 2010)
- A user's first and last name is no longer returned by any API call except for
whoami(). Other methods which request a UserProfile object will have empty strings instead of the user's name.
2.8.1 (May 2010)
- Clarified the "no api" login error message reasons, because there are more reasons why it can occur than were listed.
- Added a test version of the 'modern' and 'platinum' themes. These are incomplete.
- Out-of-subnet error page was not added to version control, now it is.
libiptc-pythonremoved, as it is no longer required.
- Fixed captivity bug where a user with unlimited quota would be forever stuck captive.
2.8.0 (January 2010)
- Fixed an exploit that would allow an attacked user to gain unlimited internet quota through an issue with external authentication.
- Fixed an issue where calls to the Django-side API would not convert the user_id to a string. This is now done in the API, so these calls will now (implicitly) succeed. This fixes an issue where quota wasn't automatically being recorded as part of the crontab job.
- Quota data is now automatically recorded every 10 minutes with history.
- There is a bandwidth graph showing a 10-minute average of metered internet usage over time.
- 'cake' and 'terminal' themes now have text boxes fully enclosed, rather than just an underline.
- Removed some duplicate code relating to quota reporting to backend.
- Reworked backend to use
xt_quota2instead of the normal iptables quota module.
- tollgate is now finally captive! YAY!
- Fixed an error in the "internet login success" page where it would either not display at all or still show the survey banner on some browsers.
- Fixed an issue where external IP addresses could be logged into tollgate.
- Fixed an issue where IP changes might not be taken into account because expired entries in the ARP cache were not ignored.
- Admin: Internet usage report now defaults to being sorted by username alphabetically instead of by user ID.
- Admin: Internet usage report includes current speed of user's traffic.
- i18n: Started adding internationalisation hooks.
- API: Added HTTP GET API with json, pickle and csv output modes.
- Removed support for
2.6.6 (November 2009)
- LANdit backend also grabs whether a user has ordered unlimited coffee.
coffee_ipAPI call added.
- Added option to manually change whether a user is allowed to use the coffee notification system, and extra ACL added to determine whether an administrator is allowed to change that value.
- Internet connectivity is no longer switched on on login if you have previously disabled internet connectivity and haven't selected to sign the current computer on in your name.
- Backend not running will no longer cause EventAttendance migration failure on login.
- Clarified the meaning of "structure" in the API help to mean a dict(ionary).
*_macversions of the API calls were removed.
2.6.5 (October 2009)
- ACL fixes.
- New version of the reset lecture.
- Warning added that the "logout" button logs you out of the web interface, not internet access.
- You can now "disown" a host.
- Host scanning changed from
- Hosts names are now grabbed from DNS rather than NetBIOS.
2.6.4 (September 2009)
- You can now only reset your quota once you have used 70% of it.
- Reset lecture added.
- Reset logging implemented.
- Network host changes now logged.
- You can now choose different themes, including using the old (green) 'terminal' theme. The default theme is the same as from 2.6.2, the 'cake' theme.
- The 'cake' theme now has underlines on submit buttons.
libiptc-pythoncreated (a libiptc module for python)
- Backend ported to allow the use of libiptc-python. Currently disabled due to bugs.
- The automated host scan now also synchronises kernel-level counters with the database at that time.
2.6.3 (July 2009)
- Internal organisational changes to program structure.
- Backend API framework changed from XMLRPC to DBUS.
2.6.2 (June 2009)
- New backend authentication API for LANbru.
- Improved administration interface.
- New theme.
- Better error handling system.
2.6.1 (May 2009)
- Fixed whoami() API call so that it works.
- Added usage() API call.
- Fixed an issue where ownership would not be reassigned locally where it should have been allowed to be.
2.6.0 (April 2009)
- Resynced the two versions of v2.5 of the code in use.
- When there is an external authentication failure (such as attendance not registered, or forum password change) on an already-migrated account, you are no longer kept logged in.
- Offline hosts are now marked as being offline properly.
- Added API for interacting with tollgate.
- Version numbering changed
2.5 (March 2009)
- Fixed an issue where an automated task to find active hosts was failing and not marking offline ones as offline.
2.4 (February 2009)
- Added additional administrative controls.
- Added standalone portal mode.
- Menu links are now much clearer.
- Security: Improved handling of offline hosts that could allow a user to gain additional quota.
2.3 (January 2009)
- Lots more error handling code
First versions 2.0 - 2.2 were from October - December 2008. These were often pulled shortly after the start of the LAN due to bugs. It was later found that many of these problems were related to faulty networking equipment. The equipment has since been replaced.
The system was implemented due to issues with the previous WiFiDog-based setup (GLaDOS).
- Quota limits are now done kernel level so it is much more accurate and cut-offs are instant (previously a 10 minute window).
- Can now log in to more than two consoles at once.
- Logout timeouts removed.