Microsoft + Node.js Guidelines
We work hard to contribute to the Node.js community and we want to make sure your experience is as seamless as possible. In particular, our goals here are to:
- make it easier for people using Microsoft services and technologies to get started on the right foot with Node.js
- consolidate Microsoft's Node.js offerings in a centralized place to make it easier for you to find information
- communicate status on key issues we're addressing and collect feedback from the Node.js community on how we can do better.
- provide a forum to connect with various teams at Microsoft working on improving the Node.js experience.
Note that this is not intended to be a comprehensive set of recommendations. Rather it's meant to be a helpful set of content that makes it easier to avoid any potential gotchas, and the beginning of what we expect to be an ongoing conversation on how we can improve the Node.js experience on Microsoft platforms.
💡This is a tip that provides the reader with some additional info that's not necessary, but potentially useful for the task at hand.
🚩TODO This describes a todo item that we'd like some help with.
📈IN PROGRESS This provides awareness about an important issue that we're currently working on resolving.
Getting Started with Node.js
- Hello World
- Working with npm packages
- Using nodemon
- Configuring your Windows development environment
- Building for cross-platform
- Windows services and settings
- Application-specific tips
- Node.js + Microsoft products, services, and contributions
- Node.js and Azure
Node.js + Microsoft products, services, and contributions
- Visual Studio Developer Essentials: The go-to collection of essential free tools and introductory subscriptions.
- Visual Studio Code: Lightweight cross-platform editor for building and debugging modern web and cloud applications.
- Node.js Tools for Visual Studio: Free, open-source extension that turns Visual Studio into a powerful Node.js development environment.
- For existing typings checkout @types from NPM or use Microsoft´s own TypeSearch
- Azure SDK for Node.js: We provide both fine-grained modules for different Microsoft Azure services which you can install separately, and an all-up module which contains everything.
- Azure Mobile Apps SDK: an express middleware package which makes it easy to create a backend for your mobile application
- Application Insights: Monitor your application's performance and usage with just a few lines of code.
- Visual Studio Online
- Docker Tools,
- Node.js Technical Steering Committee and Node.js Foundation Board
🚩TODO Add other Microsoft services related to Node.js.
General Node.js tips, tricks, resources, and more!
- Nodejs.org: Official Node.js website
- Awesome node.js: List of node packages and resources.
- nodeschool.io: Node.js community events, tutorials and meetups
- Anything you want!
This is still a work in progress, an experiment - if you will, and we'd love your help to make it better! Please see our contributing guidelines for details.