An editable combobox with multiple selection that uses the ARIA 1.2 pattern. Supports autoselect and filtering. Selected options show up as a list of buttons above the input, and clicking or activating any of the buttons de-selects that option.
Custom dropdown selection widgets have historically been difficult to implement in an accessible way. The ARIA combobox pattern altered quite a bit from ARIA 1.0 to ARIA 1.1 to ARIA 1.2, and browser and assistive tech support is still imperfect.
Another element of confusion comes from the ambiguity of needing to choose between a button/listbox implementation and a combobox implementation. The native
<select> maps to the former on both macOS and iOS, and to the latter on Windows machines. The semantics and behavior in this custom implementation were chosen based on the results of a user study where multiple implementations were testing against eachother. The tested components are in the
draft-components directory, and links to the test setup and results will be added soon.
All the usual requirements for form fields apply: label, visible focus state, perceivable control boundaries, etc.
- Enter expands the dropdown when closed, and toggles selection of the current option when open
- Up/Down arrows expand the dropdown and move the highlighted option up or down
- Home/End highlights the first or last option when open
- Escape closes the dropdown
- Printable characters change the value of the input, open the dropdown (if closed), and highlight the first matching option
- Each selected button is in the tab order, and activating one de-selects that option
||--||Array of name/value options||
||Emit a custom select event on value change||
Built with StencilJS