The book currently consists of the following chapters:
- Introduction: Details the lineage of the language Go and shows the types, variables and control structures.
- Functions: How to make and use functions.
- Packages: Functions and data are grouped together in packages. Here you will see how to make your own package. How to unit test your package is also described.
- Beyond the basics: Learn how to create your own data types and define functions on them (called methods in Go).
- Interfaces: Go does not support Object Orientation in the traditional sense. In Go the central concept is interfaces.
- Concurrency: With the go keyword functions can be started in separate routines (called goroutines). Communication with these goroutines is done via channels.
- Communication : How to create/read/write from and to files. And how to do networking.
Each chapter concludes with a number of exercises with answers to help you get some hands-on experience. Currently there are more than 30 exercises.
When building this book from LaTeX sources files you will need the following packages on Ubuntu (tested on 13.04).
You can copy and paste the following code to your vt100 session to kickoff the chains of many packages installation.
# tested on Ubuntu 13.04 for i in inkscape \ gnumeric \ ttf-droid \ ttf-dejavu \ ttf-sazanami-gothic \ ttf-arphic-ukai \ texlive-fonts-recommended \ texlive-extra-utils \ texlive-xetex \ texlive-latex-extra \ texlive-latex-recommended \ latex-cjk-xcjk \ git-core \ make do sudo apt-get install $i -y done
Using http protocol.
me@ubuntu1204:~$git clone https://github.com/miekg/gobook.git Cloning into 'gobook'... remote: Counting objects: 4515, done. remote: Compressing objects: 100% (1385/1385), done. remote: Total 4515 (delta 3106), reused 4512 (delta 3104) Receiving objects: 100% (4515/4515), 1.53 MiB | 1.17 MiB/s, done. Resolving deltas: 100% (3106/3106), done. me@ubuntu1204:~$
Using git protocol if you already have github account setup.
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:tjyang/gobook.git
Latest prebuilt pdf book can be downloaded from http://www.miek.nl/downloads/Go/