Simple, cross platform tool for lossless trimming/cutting of video and audio files. Great for rough processing of large video files taken from a video camera, GoPro, drone, etc. It lets you quickly extract the good parts from your videos and discard GBs of data without losing quality. It doesn't do any decoding / encoding and is therefore extremely fast. This app uses the awesome ffmpeg (included) for doing the grunt work.
- Lossless cutting of common video and audio formats
- Take full-resolution snapshots from videos in JPEG/PNG format
- Change rotation/orientation metadata in videos. Great for rotating phone videos that turns out the wrong way without actually re-encoding the video.
- Manual input range of cutpoints
- Can include more than 2 streams or remove audio track (optional)
Installing / running
- Download latest LosslessCut from releases
- Run LosslessCut app/exe
- On OSX, to open LosslessCut.app, Right Click > Open to bypass the security warning.
- Mac OS X
- Windows (64/32bit)
- Linux (64/32bit, not tested)
Since LosslessCut is based on Chromium and uses the HTML5 video player, not all ffmpeg supported formats will be supported directly. The following formats/codecs should generally work: MP4, MOV, WebM, MKV, OGG, WAV, MP3, AAC, H264, Theora, VP8, VP9 For more information about supported formats / codecs, see https://www.chromium.org/audio-video.
New in v1.11.0: Unsupported files can now be remuxed (fast) or encoded (slow) to a friendly format/codec from the
File menu. A processed version of the file will then be opened in the player. The cut operation will still be performed using the original file as input. This allows for potentially opening any file that ffmpeg is able to decode.
- Drag drop a video file into player to load or use ⌘/CTRL+O.
- Press SPACE to play/pause
- Select the cut start and end time. Press I to select the start time, O to select the end time for the cut.
- Press the rotation button if you want to override orientation metadata
- Press the scissors button to export the slice
- Press the camera button to take a snapshot
The original video files will not be modified. Instead it creates a lossless export in the same directory as the original file with from/to timestamps. Note that the cut is currently not precise around the cutpoints, so video before/after the nearest keyframe will be lost. EXIF data is preserved.
Press h To show/hide list of shortcuts
For old shortcuts see here: https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut/blob/41d6991c11b0a82b08344fd22a1ea094af217417/README.md#keyboard-shortcuts
- Some output videos will have an empty portion in the beginning (you might lose a few seconds after your in-cutpoint). A tip is to set the cutpoint a few extra seconds before the part you want to keep, that way you will not lose anything. See discussion in #13
- If you get an error when cutting any kind of file under Windows, please check your anti-virus. It might be blocking execution of ffmpeg, see #18
Development building / running
This app is built using Electron. Make sure you have at least node v6 and yarn installed. The app uses ffmpeg from PATH when developing.
git clone https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut.git cd lossless-cut npm install
In one terminal:
npm run watch