Combines and simplifies several popular automated devops, server orchestration, provisioning, and deployment tools into one.
What makes Borg different?
Popular features that grew out of frustration with Chef are now the foundation of Borg, with improvements:
- Client and command-line driven management similar to knife-solo
- Interactive debugging of both Borg and your scripts
- Test-driven development similar to test-kitchen with Vagrant and VirtualBox
- Define machines, datacenters, and environments in a single DRY CSON format that is always in-scope
- Ruby-inspired scripting simplicity of CoffeeScript
- Speed and asynchronous I/O of Node.JS
- Simple yet more powerful flow control
- Designed to operate on several machines at once in parallel.
- Code execution happens client-side. Remote machine only needs SSH w/ SFTP enabled.
- No remote bootstrap step necessary; experience faster, less frustrating dev-test cycles.
- Organize and
require()equivalent of roles, recipes, attributes, et cetera like any other CommonJS module.
- Manage dependencies with npm and git submodules.
Clever analogous parlance:
Since Chef debuted in 2009, community contributions have saturated the culinary namespace. Before we take over Google for anything Star Trek related, let's agree not to glorify or obfuscate otherwise simple and well-known definitions of things:
- "Chef" inspired "Borg"
- "cookbook" or "recipe" now simply "script"; organize directories how you like
- "site-cookbooks/" now "scripts/". likewise "cookbooks/" is now "scripts/vendor/"
- "node or role" now just "server"; with logic to define conditions.
- "Berkshelf" currently simply "git submodule"
Windows (Cygwin), Linux, Mac OS/X:
npm install borg -g borg help
Copyright (c) 2013, Smullin Design and Development, LLC All rights reserved.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met: * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer. * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution. * Neither the name of the organization nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL COPYRIGHT HOLDER BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.