McPassword Hasher extension for firefox
This is an updated version of the classic wjjo password hasher updated to work with web extensions and also with a workaround for many sites that use frameworks that prevented the old extension from finding password blanks.
How to use
- Open the hasher
- by pressing Ctrl+F6 (linux, mac) or Ctrl+Shift+F6 (windows and all else)
- or by clicking the icon in your toolbar.
- Enter a master password
- Adjust the site tag if necessary
- Click options and adjust your preferences for this site
- Confirm by
- clicking Fill in Blank, then clicking the red bordered blanks in your page
- or by clicking the site password blank and copying the password to your clipboard
- Your settings will be saved for this site moment you do either of the above actions.
Go to the addons page (about:addons) and adjust settings as necessary. These settings will be used in the absence of more specific settings for a particular site that you've created a password for before.
- Many thanks to the original writer of the password hasher extension that I've used for so many years.
- Thanks to the writer of Password Hasher NG for a solid layout and the idea for master password hint.
- npm i
- npm run build
It should be enough to run
npm watch to watch for changes to files in src and automatically recompile them on change, and
npx web-ext run, which opens a clean browser window with debugging enabled, watches all files mentioned in manifest.json, reloading the extension on any detected change. I've found it to be a bit fiddly but it is very helpful.
I've yet to find a site that does not work with the "Fill in the blank" feature in this addon, but I'm sure there are some out there somewhere. While I can't guarantee that I can get every site to work, I can guarantee that I will at least make the attempt.
- Make it possible to shift click password blanks to fill in multiple password blanks in one go.
- Find some way to auto focus the password blank upon opening the popup window. I have yet to find a way to make this happen.