Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Automatic mininet network creation based on a real network
Example code, documentation, and tutorials for automatically discovering and recreating a hardware topology in Mininet.
To have a component in each controller(POX, Floodlight) that generates a mininet python file for the physical topology.
- Create a module in controller which collects the following information:
Host: IP + MAC
Link: each end's MAC + port no(if possible)
- Using the above information and mininet API, create mininet python file for physical topology.
BL Comments: This sounds good to me. I know I'm not mentoring you officially, but I think that you will want to make a wiki page that explains how to install and use your system, perhaps with instructions and a walkthrough as well as API documentation for people who want to integrate your module into their POX/Floodlight controller. I recommend making it as simple as possible for someone to make use of your mininet topology creation module -> for example it should be as easy as downloading and running a script and then getting a custom topology file which can be used directly from the mininet command line or from another script. Also regarding your plan, I think the best plan is to try to get something which you could demo, at least in some basic form, a couple of weeks from now (now being June 17th.)
BL Feedback July 12th:
- I like the idea of creating a custom topology file which can be used from the command line or in a script.
- I don't actually know offhand how to collect topology information in pox, floodlight, etc..
- I'd like to see a complete walkthrough showing the steps which one might take to
- enable this functionality in an existing controller
- find out when the topology is available
- request that a mininet topology be generated
- examine that generated mininet topology
- re-invoke the controller with the new topology hosted in Mininet
- I believe that pox, floodlight, etc. have messaging/RPC interfaces which can be used to service requests.
Walk through has been update here