What is Doctor
- Doctor is a Documentation Server for all your project docs.
- Doctor beautifully decouples document serving and document contents.
- Create your docs in markdown. Store them anywhere (github/dropbox/google drive/ anywhere really).
- Login to Doctor's Dashboard. Setup links to your doc files in Doctor's Dashboard.
- You are done!
- Doctor's website is a site hosted on doctor using this very Readme.MD file. Yeah very meta.
- Minio Docs has a doctor server running that pulls together MD files that reside across a number of github repos : Eg:
You may use the
Suggest Edits feature in Doctor to submit changes to any of the MD files in github. Doctor relies on github workflow to accept PRs for changes.
docker pull minio/doctor
Using Docker Pull
> git clone https://github.com/minio/doctor.git > cd doctor > docker-compose up
- Documents are organized under Categories.
- Login to the dashboard
- Step 1 : Use the Dashboard to create a new Category : http://localhost:3000/categories/new
- Step 2 : Use the Dashboard to create a link to a new Document : http://localhost:3000/docs/new
- Step 3: Paste the raw URL to the md file when linking a new document. The "Raw" button is on the top of the MD file in github.
- Required : All documents need to be associated under a Category
Quickstart: Setup on OSX
- Install Ruby 2.2.2 using the instructions here.
- Install Rails 4.2.4 using the instructions here.
- Install Postgres using the command
brew install postgres. Configure Launch Agent to start it automatically or use the command
pg_ctl -D /usr/local/var/postgres -l /usr/local/var/postgres/server.log startto start it manually.
Quickstart: Setup on Ubuntu
Clone and start doctor
> git clone https://github.com/minio/doctor.git > cd doctor > bundle install > rake db:drop > rake db:setup > rails s
Now visit http://localhost:3000
email@example.com with password
Doctor!23 to login. Visit http://localhost:3000 to navigate the docs. This can be changed anytime via the Dashboard. We highly recommend that you do if you use Doctor in deployment.
Note - Ping us on our gitter channel to report any installation issues on your platform.