Summary: Countering the spreading of an alleged 9GB of “leaked”, fake documents of Macron campaign
Year started: 2017.0
From country / To country: Russia / France
Found via: OII
Date added: 2019-02-24
|Technique||Description given for this incident|
|T0007 Create fake Social Media Profiles / Pages / Groups||I00022T004 Fake FB groups/pages/profiles + dark content|
|T0025 Leak altered documents||I00022T001 hack/leak/manipulate/distort|
|T0053 Twitter trolls amplify and manipulate||I00022T003 Twitter trolls amplify & manipulate|
|T0054 Twitter bots amplify||I00022T002 Twitter bots amplify & manipulate|
DO NOT EDIT ABOVE THIS LINE - PLEASE ADD NOTES BELOW
- 4chan user with Latvian IP address,
- pro-Trump Twitter accounts
Timeframe: a few days
Date: Two days before the second round of French 2017 election (May 5, 2017)
Presumed goals: sabotaging Macron campaign in the last stage of the election.
- Hashtag campaign: #MacronLeaks with use of bots.
- Hashtags initially launched in the US, then got publicized by alt-right influencer, Le Pen’s supporters, Wikileaks.
- French agencies that monitor cybersecurity, electoral integrity.
- Technical precautions: ending e-voting.
- Facebook removed 70,000 suspicious accounts in France 10 days before the vote.
- Campaign staff responding to social media posts and comments.
- Technically, placing traps along the way, using fake passwords, email addresses, documents to trap hackers.
- Stop offering press credentials to propaganda outlets.
- Use encrypted apps for confidential communication.
- Requesting the media not to report false information.