Movieapp: example app for Rails Girls workshop
This is an example Rails application for the Rails Girls workshop. Each git
commit represents a single step, and those that start with
$ indicate a
command to be run in the terminal (usually generators, migrations).
Features of the application:
- You can enter movies that you've watched.
- A movie is represented by title and year.
- You can assign a 1-5 rating to each movie.
- A movie has runtime information.
- Movies have poster images.
Concepts visited in the development of this app (directly or indirectly):
- Creating a new Rails application
- Starting and stopping the local server
- Top-down development by creating a mockup of the interface we want
- Including external stylesheets (Twitter Bootstrap)
- CSS styling
- Generating a Rails scaffold
- Active Record validations
- Making view templates render records from database
- Active Record result ordering
- Database migrations
- Whitelisting attributes with
- Conditionals in view templates
- Time arithmetic
- Extracting logic to helper modules
- Extract Active Record sum of all values
- Adding images to web pages