Next version (Unreleased)
- providers/hyperv: Support packaging of Hyper-V boxes [GH-7867]
- util/subprocess: Add #stop and #running? methods [GH-8270]
- commands/expunge: Display default value on prompt and validate input [GH-8192, GH-8171]
- communicator/winrm: Refactor WinRM communicator to use latest WinRM gems and V2 API [GH-8102]
- providers/hyperv: Prefer VMCX over XML configuration when VMCX is supported [GH-8119]
- command/package: Fix SecureRandom constant error [GH-8159]
- core/bundler: Prevent pristine warning messages [GH-8191, GH-8190, GH-8147]
- core/bundler: Fix local installations of pre-release plugins [GH-8252, GH-8253]
- core/environment: Prevent persisting original environment variable if name is empty [GH-8198, GH-8126]
- core/environment: Fix gems_path location [GH-8248]
- guests/arch: Fix configuring multiple network interfaces [GH-8165]
- guests/linux: Fix guest detection for names with spaces [GH-8092]
- guests/redhat: Fix network interface configuration [GH-8148]
1.9.1 (December 7, 2016)
- core: Disable Vagrantfile loading when running plugin commands [GH-8066]
- guests/redhat: Detect and restart NetworkManager service if in use [GH-8052, GH-7994]
- core: Detect load failures within install solution sets and retry [GH-8068]
- core: Prevent interactive shell on plugin uninstall [GH-8086, GH-8087]
- core: Remove bundler usage from Util::Env [GH-8090, GH-8094]
- guests/linux: Prevent stderr output on init version check for synced folders [GH-8051]
1.9.0 (November 28, 2016)
- commands/box: Add
prunesubcommand for removing outdated boxes [GH-7978]
- core: Remove Bundler integration for handling internal plugins [GH-7793, GH-8000, GH-8011, GH-8031]
- providers/hyperv: Add support for Hyper-V binary configuration format [GH-7854, GH-7706, GH-6102]
- provisioners/shell: Support MD5/SHA1 checksum validation of remote scripts [GH-7985, GH-6323]
- commands/plugin: Retain name sorted output when listing plugins [GH-8028]
- communicator/ssh: Support custom environment variable export template [GH-7976, GH-6747]
- provisioners/ansible(both): Add
config_fileoption to point the location of an
ansible.cfgfile via ANSIBLE_CONFIG environment variable [GH-7195, GH-7918]
- synced_folders: Support custom naming and disable auto-mount [GH-7980, GH-6836]
- guests/linux: Do not match interfaces with special characters when sorting [GH-7989, GH-7988]
- provisioner/salt: Fix Hash construction for constant [GH-7986, GH-7981]
1.8.7 (November 4, 2016)
- guests/linux: Place ethernet devices at start of network devices list [GH-7848]
- guests/linux: Provide more consistent guest detection [GH-7887, GH-7827]
- guests/openbsd: Validate guest rsync installation success [GH-7929, GH-7898]
- guests/redhat: Include Virtuozzo Linux 7 within flavor identification [GH-7818]
- guests/windows: Allow vagrant to start Windows Nano without provisioning [GH-7831]
- provisioners/ansible_local: Change the Ansible binary detection mechanism [GH-7536]
- provisioners/ansible(both): Add the
- provisioners/puppet: Support custom environment variables [GH-7931, GH-7252, GH-2270]
- util/safe_exec: Use subprocess for safe_exec on Windows [GH-7802]
- util/subprocess: Allow closing STDIN [GH-7778]
- communicators/winrm: Prevent connection leakage [GH-7712]
- core: Prevent duplicate provider priorities [GH-7756]
- core: Allow Numeric type for box version [GH-7874, GH-6960]
- core: Provide friendly error when user environment is too large [GH-7889, GH-7857]
- guests: Remove
set -eusage for better shell compatibility [GH-7921, GH-7739]
- guests/linux: Fix incorrectly configured private network [GH-7844, GH-7848]
- guests/linux: Properly order network interfaces [GH-7866, GH-7876, GH-7858, GH-7876]
- guests/linux: Only emit upstart event if initctl is available [GH-7813]
- guests/netbsd: Fix rsync installation [GH-7922, GH-7901]
- guests/photon: Fix networking setup [GH-7808, GH-7873]
- guests/redhat: Properly configure network and restart service [GH-7751]
- guests/redhat: Prevent NetworkManager from managing devices on initial start [GH-7926]
- hosts/linux: Fix race condition in writing /etc/exports file for NFS configuration [GH-7947, GH-7938] - Thanks to Aron Griffis (@agriffis) for identifying this issue
- plugins/rsync: Escape exclude paths [GH-7928, GH-7910]
- providers/docker: Remove --interactive flag when pty is true [GH-7688]
- provisioners/ansible_local: Use enquoted path for file/directory existence checks
- provisioners/salt: Synchronize configuration defaults with documentation [GH-7907, GH-6624]
- pushes/atlas: Fix atlas push on Windows platform [GH-6938, GH-7802]
1.8.6 (September 27, 2016)
- Add detection for DragonFly BSD [GH-7701]
- Implement auto_start and auto_stop actions for Hyper-V [GH-7647]
- communicators/ssh: Remove any content prepended to STDOUT [GH-7676, GH-7613]
- commands/package: Provide machine data directory for base box package [GH-5070, GH-7725]
- core: Fix windows path formatting [GH-6598]
- core: Fixes for ssh-agent interactions [GH-7703, GH-7621, GH-7398]
- core: Support VAGRANT_DOTFILE_PATH relative to the Vagrantfile [GH-7623]
- guests: Prevent ssh disconnect errors on halt command [GH-7675]
- guests/bsd: Remove Darwin matching [GH-7701]
- guests/linux: Fix SSH key permissions [GH-7610, GH-7611]
- guests/linux: Always sort discovered network interfaces [GH-7705, GH-7668]
- guests/linux: Fixes for user and group ID lookups for virtualbox shared folders [GH-7616, GH-7662, GH-7720]
- guests/openbsd: Add custom halt capability [GH-7701]
- guests/ubuntu: Fix detection on older guests [GH-7632, GH-7524, GH-7625]
- hosts/arch: Detect NFS server by service name on arch [GH-7630, GH-7629]
- hosts/darwin: Fix generated RDP configuration file [GH-7698]
- provisioners/ansible: Add support for
- synced_folders/nfs: Display warning when configured for NFSv4 and UDP [GH-7740]
- synced_folders/rsync: Properly ignore excluded files within synced directory
chowncommand. [GH-5256, GH-7726]
1.8.5 (July 18, 2016)
- core: Provide a way to globally disable box update checks with the
VAGRANT_BOX_UPDATE_CHECK_DISABLE. Setting this to any non-empty value will instruct Vagrant to not look for box updates when running
vagrant up. Setting this environment variable has no effect on the
- guests/arch: Support installing synced folder clients [GH-7519]
- guests/darwin: Allow ipv6 static networks [GH-7491]
- providers/virtualbox: Add support for 5.1 [GH-7574]
- core: Bump listen gem and Ruby version to improve rsync performance [GH-7453, GH-7441]
- core: Check process stdout when detecting if a hyperv admin [GH-7465, GH-7467]
- core: Ensure removal of temporary directory when box download fails [GH-7496, GH-7499]
- core: Fix regression for installing plugins from path [GH-7505, GH-7493]
- core: Skip checking conflicts on disabled ports [GH-7587]
- core: Idempotent write-out for state file [GH-7550]
- core/guests: Create common BSD guest for shared logic
- core/guests: Ignore empty output from
/sbin/ip[GH-7539, GH-7537, GH-7533, GH-7605]
- synced_folders/nfs: Shellescape rsync paths [GH-7540, GH-7605]
- synced_folders/nfs: Ensure retries take place [GH-6360, GH-7605]
- synced_folders/rsync: Shellescape rsync paths [GH-7580, GH-6690, GH-7579, GH-7605]
- synced_folders/rsync: Translate Windows paths [GH-7012, GH-6702, GH-6568, GH-7046]
- guests/bsd: Consolidate core logic for mounting NFS folders [GH-7480, GH-7474, GH-7466]
- guests/bsd: Consolidate core logic for public key management [GH-7481]
- guests/bsd: Consolidate core logic for halting [GH-7484]
- guests/centos: Use
ifconfigto detect network interfaces [GH-7460]
- guests/debian: Ensure newline when inserting public key [GH-7456]
- guests/linux: Ensure NFS retries during mounting [GH-7492]
- guests/redhat: Use
/sbin/ipto list and configure networks for compatability with older versions of CentOS [GH-7482]
- guests/redhat: Ensure newline when inserting public key [GH-7598, GH-7605]
- guests/ubuntu: Use /etc/os-release to detech [GH-7524]
- guests/ubuntu: Use short hostname [GH-7488, GH-7605]
- providers/hyperv: Fix version check and catch statement [GH-7447, GH-7487]
1.8.4 (June 13, 2016)
- core: Fix bundler plugin issue and version constraint [GH-7418, GH-7415]
- providers/virtualbox: Use 8 network interfaces (due to Windows limitation) [GH-7417, GH-7419]
- provisioners/ansible(both): Honor "galaxy_roles_path" option when running ansible-playbook [GH-7269, GH-7420]
- provisioners/ansible_local: Add quotes around "ansible-galaxy" arguments [GH-7420]
- guests/redhat: Add CloudLinux detection [GH-7428, GH-7427]
1.8.3 (June 10, 2016)
winrmcommunicator now shares the same upload behavior as the
sshcommunicator. This change should have no impact to most vagrant operations but may break behavior when uploading directories to an existing destination target. The
fileprovisioner should be the only builtin provisioner affected by this change. When uploading a directory and the destination directory exists on the endpoint, the source base directory will be created below the destination directory on the endpoint and the source directory contents will be unzipped to that location. Prior to this release, the contents of the source directory would be unzipped to an existing destination directory without creating the source base directory. This new behavior is more consistent with SCP and other well known shell copy commands.
- The Chef provisioner's
channeldefault value has changed from "current" to "stable". The "current" channel includes nightly releases and should be opt-in only. Note that users wishing to download the Chef Development Kit will need to opt into the "current" channel until Chef Software promotes into the "stable" channel.
- The Arch Linux host capability for NFS removed support for rc.d in favor or systemd which has been present since 2012. Please see GH-7181 for more information.
- provider/docker: Allow non-linux users to opt-out of the host VM to run
Docker containers by setting
config.force_host_vm = falsein the Vagrantfile. This is especially useful for customers who wish to use the beta builds for Mac and Windows, dlite, or a custom provider. [GH-7277, GH-7298, 8c11b53]
- provider/docker: New command:
docker-execallows attaching to an already-running container. [GH-7377, GH-6566, GH-5193, GH-4904, GH-4057, GH-4179, GH-4903]
- core/downloader: increase box resume download limit to 24h [GH-7352, GH-7272]
- core/package: run validations prior to packaging [GH-7353, GH-7351]
- core/action: make
start("vagrant up") run provisioners [GH-4467, GH-4421]
- commands/all: Make it clear that machine IDs can be specified [GH-7356, GH-7228]
- commands/init: Add support for specifying the box version [GH-7363, GH-5004]
- commands/login: Print a warning with both the environment variable and local login token are present [GH-7206, GH-7219]
- communicators/winrm: Upgrade to latest WinRM gems [GH-6922]
- provisioners/ansible_local: Allow to install Ansible from pip, with version selection capability [GH-6654, GH-7167]
- provisioners/ansible_local: Use
provisioning_pathas working directory for
- provisioners/ansible(both provisioners): Add basic config
- provisioners/chef: Add the ability to install on SUSE [GH-6806]
- provisioners/chef: Support legacy solo mode [GH-7327]
- provisioners/docker: Restart container if newer image is available [GH-7358, GH-6620]
- hosts/arch: Remove sysvinit and assume systemd [GH-7181]
- hosts/linux: Do not use a pager with systemctl commands [GH-7270]
- hosts/darwin: Add
extra_argssupport for RDP [GH-5523, GH-6602]
- hosts/windows: Use SafeExec to capture history in Powershell [GH-6749]
- guests/amazon: Add detection [GH-7395, GH-7254]
- guests/freebsd: Add quotes around hostname [GH-6867]
- guests/fedora: Add support for ipv6 static networks [GH-7275, GH-7276]
- guests/tinycore: Add support for shared folders [GH-6977, GH-6968]
- guests/trisquel: Add initial support [GH-6842, GH-6843]
- guests/windows: Add support for automatic login (no password prompting) [GH-5670]
- core: Add
--no-deleteand provisioning flags to snapshot restore/pop [GH-6879]
- providers/docker: Allow TCP and UDP ports on the same number [GH-7365, GH-5527]
- providers/hyperv: Add support for differencing disk [GH-7090]
- providers/hyperv: Add support for snapshots [GH-7110]
- providers/hyperv: Reinstate compatibility with PS 4 [GH-7108]
- providers/virtualbox: Add linked clone support for Virtualbox 1.4 [GH-7050]
- synced_folders/nfs: Read static and dynamic IPs [GH-7290, GH-7289]
- core: Bump nokogiri version to fix windows bug [GH-6766, GH-6848]
- core: Revert a change made to the output of the identify file [GH-6962, GH-6929, GH-6589]
- core: Fix login command behind a proxy [GH-6898, GH-6899]
- core: Fix support for regular expressions on multi-machine
- core: Allow boxes to use pre-release versions [GH-6892, GH-6893]
- core: Rescue
Errno:ENOTCONNwaiting for port to be open [GH-7182, GH-7184]
- core: Properly authenticate metadata box URLs [GH-6776, GH-7158]
- core: Do not run provisioners if already run on resume [GH-7059, GH-6787]
- core: Implement better tracking of tempfiles and tmpdirs to identify file leaks [GH-7355]
- core: Allow SSH forwarding on Windows [GH-7287, GH-7202]
- core: Allow customizing
keys_onlySSH option [GH-7360, GH-4275]
- core: Allow customizing
paranoidSSH option [GH-7360, GH-4275]
- command/box_update: Do not update the same box twice [GH-6042, GH-7379]
- command/init: Remove unnecessary
sudofrom generated Vagrantfile [GH-7369, GH-7295]
- docs & core: Be consistent about the "2" in the Vagrantfile version [GH-6961, GH-6963]
- guests/all: Refactor guest capabilities to run in a single command - please see GH-7393 for the complete list of changes!
- guests/arch: Restart network after configuration [GH-7120, GH-7119]
- guests/debian: Do not return an error if ifdown fails [GH-7159, GH-7155, GH-6871]
- guests/freebsd: Use
pkgto install rsync [GH-6760]
- guests/freebsd: Use
netifto configure networks [GH-5852, GH-7093]
- guests/coreos: Detect all interface names [GH-6608, GH-6610]
- providers/hyperv: Only specify Hyper-V if the parameter is support [GH-7101, GH-7098]
- providers/virtualbox: Set maximum network adapters to 36 [GH-7293, GH-7286]
- providers/virtualbox: Do not fail when master VM from linked clone is missing [GH-7126, GH-6742]
- providers/virtualbox: Use scoped overrides in preparring NFS [GH-7387, GH-7386]
- provisioners/ansible: Fix a race condition in the concurrent generations of
the ansible inventory file, while running
vagrant up --parallel[GH-6526, GH-7190]
- provisioners/ansible_local: Don't quote the Ansible arguments defined in the
- provisioners/ansible_local: Format json
extra_varswith double quotes [GH-6726, GH-7103]
- provisioners/ansible_local: Fix errors in absolute paths to playbook or galaxy resources when running on a Windows host [GH-6740, GH-6757]
- provisioners/ansible_local: Change the way to verify
ansible-galaxypresence, to avoid a non-zero status code with Ansible 2.0 [GH-6793]
- provisioners/ansible(both provisioners): The Ansible configuration files
detection is only executed by the
provisionaction [GH-6763, GH-6984]
- provisioners/chef: Do not use double sudo when installing [GGH-6805, GH-6804]
- provisioners/chef: Change the default channel to "stable" (previously it was "current") [GH-7001, GH-6979]
- provisioners/chef: Default node_name to hostname if present [GH-7063, GH-7153]
- provisioners/docker: Fix -no-trunc command option [GH-7085]
- provisioners/docker: Allow provisioning when container name is specified [GH-7074, GH-7086]
- provisioners/puppet: Use
where.exeto locate puppet binary [GH-6912, GH-6876]
- provisioners/salt: Move masterless config to apply to all platforms [GH-7207, Gh-6924, GH-6915]
- pushes/ftp: Create parent directories when uploading [GH-7154, GH-6316]
- synced_folders/smb: Do not interpolate configuration file [GH-6906]
1.8.1 (December 21, 2015)
- core: Don't create ".bundle" directory in pwd [GH-6717]
- core: Fix exception on installing VirtualBox [GH-6713]
- core: Do not convert standalone drive letters such as "D:" to UNC paths [GH-6598]
- core: Fix a crash in parsing the config in some cases with network configurations [GH-6730]
- core: Clean up temporarily files created by bundler [GH-7354, GH-6301, GH-3469, GH-6231]
- commands/up: Smarter logic about what provider to install, avoiding situations where VirtualBox was installed over the correct provider [GH-6731]
- guests/debian: Fix Docker install [GH-6722]
- provisioners/chef: convert chef version to a string before comparing for the command builder [GH-6709, GH-6711]
- provisioners/shell: convert env var values to strings [GH-6714]
1.8.0 (December 21, 2015)
- New Command:
vagrant powershell: For machines that support it, this will open a PowerShell prompt.
- New Command:
vagrant port: For machines that support it, this will display the list of forwarded ports from the guest to the host.
- Linked Clones: VirtualBox and VMware providers now support linked clones for very fast (millisecond) imports on up. [GH-4484]
- Snapshots: The
vagrant snapshotcommand can be used to checkpoint and restore point-in-time snapshots.
- IPv6 Private Networks: Private networking now supports IPv6. This only works with VirtualBox and VMware at this point. [GH-6342]
- New provisioner:
ansible_localto execute Ansible from the guest machine. [GH-2103]
ansibleprovisioner now can override the effective ansible remote user (i.e.
ansible_ssh_usersetting) to always correspond to the vagrant ssh username. This change is enabled by default, but we expect this to affect only a tiny number of people as it corresponds to the common usage. If you however use multiple remote usernames in your Ansible plays, tasks, or custom inventories, you can simply set the option
force_remote_userto false to make Vagrant behave the same as before.
- provisioners/salt: the "config_dir" option has been removed. It has no effect in Vagrant 1.8. [GH-6073]
- core: allow removal of all box versions with
- core: prune entries from global status on non-existent cwd [GH-6535]
- core: networking: allow specifying a DHCP IP [GH-6325]
- core: run provisioner cleanup tasks before powering off the VM [GH-6553]
- core: only run provisioner cleanup tasks if they're implemented [GH-6603] This improves UX, but wasn't a bug before.
- command/plugin: Add
--plugin-clean-sourcesflag to reset plugin install sources, primarily for corp firewalls. [GH-4738]
- command/rsync-auto: SSH connection is cached for faster sync times [GH-6399]
- command/up: provisioners are run on suspend resume [GH-5815]
- communicators/ssh: allow specifying host environment variables to forward to guests [GH-4132, GH-6562]
- communicators/winrm: Configurable execution time limit [GH-6213]
- providers/virtualbox: cache version lookup, which caused significant slowdown on some Windows hosts [GH-6552]
- providers/virtualbox: add
public_addresscapability for virtualbox [GH-6583, GH-5978]
- provisioners/chef: perform cleanup tasks on the guest instead of the host
- provisioners/chef: automatically generate a node_name if one was not given [GH-6555]
- provisioners/chef: install Chef automatically on Windows [GH-6557]
- provisioners/chef: allow the user to specify the Chef product (such as the Chef Development Kit) [GH-6557]
- provisioners/chef: allow data_bags_path to be an array [GH-5988, GH-6561]
- provisioners/shell: Support interactive mode for elevated PowerShell scripts [GH-6185]
- provisioners/shell: add
envoption [GH-6588, GH-6516]
- provisioners/ansible+ansible_local: add support for ansible-galaxy [GH-2718]
- provisioners/ansible+ansible_local: add support for group and host variables in the generated inventory [GH-6619]
- provisioners/ansible+ansible_local: add support for alphanumeric patterns for groups in the generated inventory [GH-3539]
- provisioners/ansible: add support for WinRM settings [GH-5086]
- provisioners/ansible: add new
force_remote_useroption to control whether
ansible_ssh_userparameter should be applied or not [GH-6348]
- provisioners/ansible: show a warning when running from a Windows Host [GH-5292]
- pushes/local-exec: add support for specifying script args [GH-6661, GH-6660]
- guests/slackware: add support for networking [GH-6514]
- core: Ctrl-C weirdness fixed where it would exit parent process before Vagrant finished cleaning up [GH-6085]
- core: DHCP network configurations don't warn on IP addresses ending in ".1" [GH-6150]
- core: only append
access_tokenwhen it does not exist in the URL [GH-6395, GH-6534]
- core: use the correct private key when packaging a box [GH-6406]
- core: fix crash when using invalid box checksum type [GH-6327]
- core: don't check for metadata if the download URL is not HTTP [GH-6540]
- core: don't make custom dotfile path if there is no Vagrantfile [GH-6542]
- core: more robust check for admin privs on Windows [GH-5616]
- core: properly detect when HTTP server doesn't support byte ranges and retry from scratch [GH-4479]
- core: line numbers show properly in Vagrantfile syntax errors on Windows [GH-6445]
- core: catch errors setting env vars on Windows [GH-6017]
- core: remove cached synced folders when they're removed from the Vagrantfile [GH-6567]
- core: use case-insensitive comparison for box checksum validations [GH-6648, GH-6650]
- commands/box: add command with
~paths on Windows works [GH-5747]
- commands/box: the update command supports CA settings [GH-4473]
- commands/box: removing all versions and providers of a box will properly
clean all directories in
- commands/box: outdated global won't halt on metadata download failure [GH-6453]
- commands/login: respect environment variables in
vagrant logincommand [GH-6590, GH-6422]
- commands/package: when re-packaging a packaged box, preserve the generated SSH key [GH-5780]
- commands/plugin: retry plugin install automatically a few times to avoid network issues [GH-6097]
- commands/rdp: prefer
xfreerdpif it is available on Linux [GH-6475]
- commands/up: the
--provision-withflag works with provisioner names [GH-5981]
- communicator/ssh: fix potential crash case with PTY [GH-6225]
- communicator/ssh: escape IdentityFile path [GH-6428, GH-6589]
- communicator/winrm: respect
- communicator/winrm: execute scheduled tasks immediately on Windows XP since elevation isn't required [GH-6195]
- communicator/winrm: Decouple default port forwarding rules for "winrm" and "winrm-ssl" [GH-6581]
- communicator/winrm: Hide progress bars from PowerShell v5 [GH-6309]
- guests/arch: enable network device after setting it up [GH-5737]
- guests/darwin: advanced networking works with more NICs [GH-6386]
- guests/debian: graceful shutdown works properly with newer releases [GH-5986]
- guests/fedora: Preserve
localhostentry when changing hostname [GH-6203]
- guests/fedora: Use dnf if it is available [GH-6288]
- guests/linux: when replacing a public SSH key, use POSIX-compliant sed flags [GH-6565]
- guests/suse: DHCP network interfaces properly configured [GH-6502]
- hosts/slackware: Better detection of NFS [GH-6367]
- providers/hyper-v: support generation 2 VMs [GH-6372]
- providers/hyper-v: support VMs with more than one NIC [GH-4346]
- providers/hyper-v: check if user is in the Hyper-V admin group if they're not a Windows admin [GH-6662]
- providers/virtualbox: ignore "Unknown" status bridge interfaces [GH-6061]
- providers/virtualbox: only fix ipv6 interfaces that are in use [GH-6586, GH-6552]
- provisioners/ansible: use quotes for the
ansible_ssh_private_key_filevalue in the generated inventory [GH-6209]
- provisioners/ansible: use quotes when passing the private key files via
-icommand line arguments [GH-6671]
- provisioners/ansible: don't show the
ansible-playbookcommand when verbose option is an empty string
- provisioners/chef: fix
nodes_pathfor Chef Zero [GH-6025, GH-6049]
- provisioners/chef: do not error when the
node_nameis unset [GH-6005, GH-6064, GH-6541]
- provisioners/chef: only force the formatter on Chef 11 or higher [GH-6278, GH-6556]
- provisioners/chef: require
nodes_pathto be set for Chef Zero [GH-6110, GH-6559]
- provisioners/puppet: apply provisioner uses correct default manifests with environments. [GH-5987]
- provisioners/puppet: remove broken backticks [GH-6404]
- provisioners/puppet: find Puppet binary properly on Windows [GH-6259]
- provisioners/puppet-server: works with Puppet Collection 1 [GH-6389]
- provisioners/salt: call correct executables on Windows [GH-5999]
- provisioners/salt: log level and colorize works for masterless [GH-6474]
- push/local-exec: use subprocess on windows when fork does not exist [GH-5307, GH-6563]
- push/heroku: use current branch [GH-6554]
- synced_folders/rsync: on Windows, replace all paths with Cygwin paths since all rsync implementations require this [GH-6160]
- synced_folders/smb: use credentials files to allow for more characters in password [GH-4230]
PLUGIN AUTHOR CHANGES:
- installer: Upgrade to Ruby 2.2.3
1.7.4 (July 17, 2015)
- communicators/winrm: catch timeout errors [GH-5971]
- communicators/ssh: use the same SSH args for
vagrant sshwith and without a command [GH-4986, GH-5928]
- guests/fedora: networks can be configured without nmcli [GH-5931]
- guests/fedora: biosdevname can return 4 or 127 [GH-6139]
- guests/redhat: systemd detection should happen on guest [GH-5948]
- guests/ubuntu: setting hostname fixed in 12.04 [GH-5937]
- hosts/linux: NFS can be configured without
$TMPset on the host [GH-5954]
- hosts/linux: NFS will sudo copying back to
- providers/docker: Add
pullsetting, default to false [GH-5932]
- providers/virtualbox: remove UNC path conversion on Windows since it caused mounting regressions [GH-5933]
- provisioners/puppet: Windows Puppet 4 paths work correctly [GH-5967]
- provisioners/puppet: Fix config merging errors [GH-5958]
- provisioners/salt: fix "dummy config" error on bootstrap [GH-5936]
1.7.3 (July 10, 2015)
- *New guest:
atomic- Project Atomic is supported as a guest
- providers/virtualbox: add support for 5.0 [GH-5647]
- core: add password authentication to rdp_info hash [GH-4726]
- core: improve error message when packaging fails [GH-5399]
- core: improve message when adding a box from a file path [GH-5395]
- core: add support for network gateways [GH-5721]
- core: allow redirecting stdout and stderr in the UI [GH-5433]
- core: update version of winrm-fs to 0.2.0 [GH-5738]
- core: add option to enabled trusted http(s) redirects [GH-4422]
- core: capture additional information such as line numbers during Vagrantfile loading [GH-4711, GH-5769]
- core: add .color? to UI objects to see if they support color [GH-5771]
- core: ignore hidden directories when searching for boxes [GH-5748, GH-5785]
- core: use
config.ssh.sudo_commandto customize the sudo command format [GH-5573]
- core: add
Vagrant.original_envfor Vagrant and plugins to restore or inspect the original environment when Vagrant is being run from the installer [GH-5910]
- guests/darwin: support inserting generated key [GH-5204]
- guests/darwin: support mounting SMB shares [GH-5750]
- guests/fedora: support Fedora 21 [GH-5277]
- guests/fedora: add capabilities for nfs and flavor [GH-5770, GH-4847]
- guests/linux: specify user's domain as separate parameter [GH-3620, GH-5512]
- guests/redhat: support Scientific Linux 7 [GH-5303]
- guests/photon: initial support [GH-5612]
- guests/solaris,solaris11: support inserting generated key [GH-5182] [GH-5290]
- providers/docker: images are pulled prior to starting [GH-5249]
- provisioners/ansible: store the first ssh private key in the auto-generated inventory [GH-5765]
- provisioners/chef: add capability for checking if Chef is installed on Windows [GH-5669]
- provisioners/docker: restart containers if arguments have changed [GH-3055, GH-5924]
- provisioners/puppet: add support for Puppet 4 and configuration options [GH-5601]
- provisioners/puppet: add support for
synced_folder_argsin apply [GH-5359]
- provisioners/salt: add configurable
- provisioners/salt: add support for masterless configuration [GH-3235]
- provisioners/salt: provider path to missing file in errors [GH-5637]
- provisioners/salt: add ability to run salt orchestrations [GH-4371]
- provisioners/salt: update to 2015.5.2 [GH-4152, GH-5437]
- provisioners/salt: support specifying version to install [GH-5892]
- provisioners/shell: add :name attribute to shell provisioner [GH-5607]
- providers/docker: supports file downloads with the file provisioner [GH-5651]
- providers/docker: support named Dockerfile [GH-5480]
- providers/docker: don't remove image on reload so that build cache can be used fully [GH-5905]
- providers/hyperv: select a Hyper-V switch based on a
- providers/hyperv: allow configuring VladID [GH-5539]
- providers/virtualbox: regexp supported for bridge configuration [GH-5320]
- providers/virtualbox: handle a list of bridged NICs [GH-5691]
- synced_folders/rsync: allow showing rsync output in debug mode [GH-4867]
- synced_folders/rsync: set
rsync__rsync_pathto specify the remote command used to execute rsync [GH-3966]
- core: push configurations are validated with global configs [GH-5130]
- core: remove executable permissions on internal file [GH-5220]
- core: check name and version in
- core: do not create duplicates when defining two private network addresses [GH-5325]
- core: update ssh to check for Plink [GH-5604]
- core: do not report plugins as installed when plugins are disabled [GH-5698, GH-5430]
- core: Only take files when packaging a box to avoid duplicates [GH-5658, GH-5657]
- core: escape curl urls and authentication [GH-5677]
- core: fix crash if a value is missing for CLI arguments [GH-5550]
- core: retry SSH key generation for transient RSA errors [GH-5056]
ssh.private_key_pathwill override the insecure key [GH-5632]
- core: restore the original environment when shelling out to subprocesses outside of the installer [GH-5912]
- core/cli: fix box checksum validation [GH-4665, GH-5221]
- core/windows: allow Windows UNC paths to allow more than 256 characters [GH-4815]
- command/rsync-auto: don't crash if rsync command fails [GH-4991]
- communicators/winrm: improve error handling significantly and improve the error messages shown to be more human-friendly. [GH-4943]
- communicators/winrm: remove plaintext passwords from files after provisioner is complete [GH-5818]
- hosts/nfs: allow colons (
:) in NFS IDs [GH-5222]
- guests/darwin: remove dots from LocalHostName [GH-5558]
- guests/debian: Halt works properly on Debian 8. [GH-5369]
- guests/fedora: recognize future fedora releases [GH-5730]
- guests/fedora: reload iface connection by NetworkManager [GH-5709]
- guests/fedora: do not use biosdevname if it is not installed [GH-5707]
- guests/freebsd: provide an argument to the backup file [GH-5516, GH-5517]
- guests/funtoo: fix incorrect path in configure networks [GH-4812]
- guests/linux: fix edge case exception where no home directory is available on guest [GH-5846]
- guests/linux: copy NFS exports to tmpdir to do edits to guarantee permissions are available [GH-5773]
- guests/openbsd: output newline after inserted public key [GH-5881]
- guests/tinycore: fix change hostname functionality [GH-5623]
- guests/ubuntu: use
hostnamectlto set hostname on Ubuntu Vivid [GH-5753]
- guests/windows: Create rsync folder prior to rsync-ing. [GH-5282]
- guests/windows: Changing hostname requires reboot again since the non-reboot code path was crashing Windows server. [GH-5261]
- guests/windows: ignore virtual NICs [GH-5478]
- hosts/windows: More accurately get host IP address in VPNs. [GH-5349]
- plugins/login: allow users to login with a token [GH-5145]
- providers/docker: Build image from
/var/lib/dockerfor more disk space on some systems. [GH-5302]
- providers/docker: Fix crash that could occur in some scenarios when the host VM path changed.
- providers/docker: Fix crash that could occur on container destroy with VirtualBox shared folders [GH-5143]
- providers/hyperv: allow users to configure memory, cpu count, and vmname [GH-5183]
- providers/hyperv: import respects secure boot. [GH-5209]
- providers/hyperv: only set EFI secure boot for gen 2 machines [GH-5538]
- providers/virtualbox: read netmask from dhcpservers [GH-5233]
- providers/virtualbox: Fix exception when VirtualBox version is empty. [GH-5308]
- providers/virtualbox: Fix exception when VBoxManage.exe can't be run on Windows [GH-1483]
- providers/virtualbox: Error if another user is running after a VM is created to avoid issue with VirtualBox "losing" the VM [GH-5895]
- providers/virtualbox: The "name" setting on private networks will choose an existing hostonly network [GH-5389]
- provisioners/ansible: fix SSH settings to support more than 5 ssh keys [GH-5017]
- provisioners/ansible: increase ansible connection timeout to 30 seconds [GH-5018]
- provisioners/ansible: disable color if Vagrant is not colored [GH-5531, GH-5532]
- provisioners/ansible: only show ansible-playbook command when
verboseoption is enabled [GH-5803]
- provisioners/ansible: fix a race condition in the inventory file generation [GH-5551]
- provisioners/docker: use
serviceto restart Docker instad of upstart [GH-5245, GH-5577]
- provisioners/docker: Only add docker user to group if exists. [GH-5315]
- provisioners/docker: Use https for repo [GH-5749]
apt-get updatebefore installing linux kernel images to get the correct version [GH-5860]
- provisioners/chef: Fix shared folders missing error [GH-5199]
- provisioners/chef: Use
command -vto check for binary instead of
whichsince that doesn't exist on some systems. [GH-5170]
- provisioners/chef-zero: support more chef-zero/local mode attributes [GH-5339]
- provisioners/chef: use windows-specific paths in Chef provisioners [GH-5913]
- provisioners/docker: use docker.com instead of docker.io [GH-5216]
- provisioners/docker: use
-ron daemon [GH-4477]
- provisioners/file: validation of source is relative to Vagrantfile [GH-5252]
- pushes/atlas: send additional box metadata [GH-5283]
- pushes/local-exec: fix "text file busy" error for inline [GH-5695]
- pushes/ftp: improve check for remote directory existence [GH-5549]
- synced_folders/rsync: add
IdentitiesOnly=yesto the rsync command. [GH-5175]
- synced_folders/smb: use correct
- synced_folders/smb: prever IPv4 over IPv6 address to mount [GH-5798]
- virtualbox/config: fix misleading error message for private_network [GH-5536, GH-5418]
1.7.2 (January 6, 2015)
- If you depended on the paths that Chef/Puppet provisioners use to
store cookbooks (ex. "/tmp/vagrant-chef-1"), these will no longer be
correct. Without this change, Chef/Puppet didn't work at all with
vagrant provision. We expect this to affect only a minor number of people, since it's not something that was ever documented or recommended by Vagrant, or even meant to be supported.
- provisioners/salt: add support for grains [GH-4895]
- core: private boxes still referencing vagrantcloud.com will have their vagrant login access token properly appended
- core: push plugin configuration is properly validated
- core: restore box packaging functionality
- commands/package: fix crash
- commands/push: push lookups are by user-defined name, not push strategy name [GH-4975]
- commands/push: validate the configuration
- communicators/winrm: detect parse errors in PowerShell and error
- guests/arch: fix network configuration due to poor line breaks. [GH-4964]
- guests/solaris: Merge configurations properly so configs can be set in default Vagrantfiles. [GH-5092]
- installer: SSL cert bundle contains 1024-bit keys, fixing SSL verification for a lot of sites.
- installer: vagrant executable properly
cygpathsthe SSL bundle path for Cygwin
- installer: Nokogiri (XML lib used by Vagrant and dependencies) linker dependencies fixed, fixing load issues on some platforms
- providers/docker: Symlinks in shared folders work. [GH-5093]
- providers/hyperv: VM start errors turn into proper Vagrant errors. [GH-5101]
- provisioners/chef: fix missing shared folder error [GH-4988]
- provisioners/chef: remove Chef version check from solo.rb generation and
- provisioners/chef: fix bad invocation of
- pushes/atlas: support more verbose logging
- pushes/ftp: expand file paths relative to the Vagrantfile
- pushes/ftp: improved debugging output
- pushes/ftp: create parent directories if they do not exist on the remote server
1.7.1 (December 11, 2014)
- provisioners/ansible: Use Docker proxy if needed. [GH-4906]
- providers/docker: Add support of SSH agent forwarding. [GH-4905]
1.7.0 (December 9, 2014)
raw_argumentshas now highest priority
- provisioners/ansible: only the
sshconnection transport is supported (
paramikocan be enabled with
raw_argumentsat your own risks)
- Vagrant Push: Vagrant can now deploy!
vagrant pushis a single command to deploy your application. Deploy to Heroku, FTP, or HashiCorp's commercial product Atlas. New push strategies can be added with plugins.
- Named provisioners: Provisioners can now be named. This name is used
for output as well as
--provision-withfor better control.
- Default provider logic improved: Providers in
config.vm.providerblocks in your Vagrantfile now have higher priority than plugins. Earlier providers are chosen before later ones. [GH-3812]
- If the default insecure keypair is used, Vagrant will automatically replace
it with a randomly generated keypair on first
vagrant up. [GH-2608]
- Vagrant Login is now part of Vagrant core
- Chef Zero provisioner: Use Chef 11's "local" mode to run recipes against an in-memory Chef Server
- Chef Apply provisioner: Specify inline Chef recipes and recipe snippets using the Chef Apply provisioner
has_plugin?function now takes a second argument which is a version constraint requirement. [GH-4650]
- core: ".vagrantplugins" file in the same folder as your Vagrantfile will be loaded for defining inline plugins. [GH-3775]
- commands/plugin: Plugin list machine-readable output contains the plugin name as the target for versions and other info. [GH-4506]
- env/with_cleanenv: New helper for plugin developers to use when shelling out to another Ruby environment
- guests/arch: Support predictable network interface naming. [GH-4468]
- guests/suse: Support NFS client install, rsync setup. [GH-4492]
- guests/tinycore: Support changing host names. [GH-4469]
- guests/tinycore: Support DHCP-based networks. [GH-4710]
- guests/windows: Hostname can be set without reboot. [GH-4687]
- providers/docker: Build output is now shown. [GH-3739]
- providers/docker: Can now start containers from private repositories more easily. Vagrant will login for you if you specify auth. [GH-4042]
stop_timeoutcan be used to modify the
docker stoptimeout. [GH-4504]
- provisioners/chef: Automatically install Chef when using a Chef provisioner.
- provisioners/ansible: Always show Ansible command executed when Vagrant log level is debug (even if ansible.verbose is false)
- synced_folders/nfs: Won't use
sudoto write to /etc/exports if there are write privileges. [GH-2643]
- synced_folders/smb: Credentials from one SMB will be copied to the rest. [GH-4675]
- core: Fix cases where sometimes SSH connection would hang.
- core: On a graceful halt, force halt if capability "insert public key" is missing. [GH-4684]
- core: Don't share
/vagrantif any "." folder is shared. [GH-4675]
- core: Fix SSH private key permissions more aggressively. [GH-4670]
- core: Custom Vagrant Cloud server URL now respected in more cases.
- core: On downloads, don't continue downloads if the remote server doesn't support byte ranges. [GH-4479]
- core: Box downloads recognize more complex content types that include "application/json" [GH-4525]
- core: If all sub-machines are
autostart: false, don't start any. [GH-4552]
- core: Update global-status state in more cases. [GH-4513]
- core: Only delete machine state if the machine is not created in initialize
--certflag works properly. [GH-4691]
- command/docker-logs: Won't crash if container is removed. [GH-3990]
- command/docker-run: Synced folders will be attached properly. [GH-3873]
- command/rsync: Sync to Docker containers properly. [GH-4066]
- guests/darwin: Hostname sets bonjour name and local host name. [GH-4535]
- guests/freebsd: NFS mounting can specify the version. [GH-4518]
- guests/linux: More descriptive error message if SMB mount fails. [GH-4641]
- guests/rhel: Hostname setting on 7.x series works properly. [GH-4527]
- guests/rhel: Installing NFS client works properly on 7.x [GH-4499]
- guests/solaris11: Static IP address preserved after restart. [GH-4621]
- guests/ubuntu: Detect with
- hosts/windows: RDP client shouldn't map all drives by default. [GH-4534]
- providers/docker: Create args works. [GH-4526]
- providers/docker: Nicer error if package is called. [GH-4595]
- providers/docker: Host IP restriction is forwarded through. [GH-4505]
- providers/docker: Protocol is now honored in direct `ports settings.
- providers/docker: Images built using
build_dirwill more robustly capture the final image. [GH-4598]
- providers/docker: NFS synced folders now work. [GH-4344]
- providers/docker: Read the created container ID more robustly.
vagrant shareuses correct IP of proxy VM if it exists. [GH-4342]
vagrant_vagrantfileexpands home directory. [GH-4000]
- providers/docker: Fix issue where multiple identical proxy VMs would be created. [GH-3963]
- providers/docker: Multiple links with the same name work. [GH-4571]
- providers/virtualbox: Show a human-friendly error if VirtualBox didn't clean up an existing VM. [GH-4681]
- providers/virtualbox: Detect case when VirtualBox reports 0.0.0.0 as IP address and don't allow it. [GH-4671]
- providers/virtualbox: Show more descriptive error if VirtualBox is reporting an empty version. [GH-4657]
- provisioners/ansible: Force
ssh(OpenSSH) connection by default [GH-3396]
- provisioners/ansible: Don't use or modify
~/.ssh/known_hostsfile by default, similarly to native vagrant commands [GH-3900]
- provisioners/ansible: Use intermediate Docker host when needed. [GH-4071]
- provisioners/docker: Get GPG key over SSL. [GH-4597]
- provisioners/docker: Search for docker binary in multiple places. [GH-4580]
- provisioners/salt: Highstate works properly with a master. [GH-4471]
- provisioners/shell: Retry getting SSH info a few times. [GH-3924]
- provisioners/shell: PowerShell scripts can have args. [GH-4548]
- synced_folders/nfs: Don't modify NFS exports file if no exports. [GH-4619]
- synced_folders/nfs: Prune exports for file path IDs. [GH-3815]
PLUGIN AUTHOR CHANGES:
Machine#actioncan be called with the option
lock: falseto not acquire a machine lock.
Machine#reloadwill now properly trigger the
machine_id_changedcallback on providers.
1.6.5 (September 4, 2014)
- core: forward SSH even if WinRM is used. [GH-4437]
- communicator/ssh: Fix crash when pty is enabled with SSH. [GH-4452]
- guests/redhat: Detect various RedHat flavors. [GH-4462]
- guests/redhat: Fix typo causing crash in configuring networks. [GH-4438]
- guests/redhat: Fix typo causing hostnames to not set. [GH-4443]
- providers/virtualbox: NFS works when using DHCP private network. [GH-4433]
- provisioners/salt: Fix error when removing non-existent bootstrap script on Windows. [GH-4614]
1.6.4 (September 2, 2014)
- commands/docker-run: Started containers are now deleted after run.
Specify the new
--no-rmflag to retain the original behavior. [GH-4327]
- providers/virtualbox: Host IO cache is no longer enabled by default since it causes stale file issues. Please enable manually if you require this. [GH-3934]
- core: Added
config.vm.box_server_urlsetting to point at a Vagrant Cloud instance. [GH-4282]
- core: File checksumming performance has been improved by at least 100%. Memory requirements have gone down by half. [GH-4090]
- commands/docker-run: Add the
--no-rmflag. Containers are deleted by default. [GH-4327]
- commands/plugin: Better error output is shown when plugin installation fails.
- commands/reload: show post up messsage [GH-4168]
- commands/rsync-auto: Add
- communicators/winrm: Show stdout/stderr if command fails. [GH-4094]
- guests/nixos: Added better NFS support. [GH-3983]
- providers/hyperv: Accept VHD disk format. [GH-4208]
- providers/hyperv: Support generation 2 VMs. [GH-4324]
- provisioners/docker: More verbose output. [GH-4377]
- provisioners/salt: Get proper exit codes to detect failed runs. [GH-4304]
- core: Downloading box files should resume in more cases since the temporary file is preserved in more cases. [GH-4301]
- core: Windows is not detected as NixOS in some cases. [GH-4302]
- core: Fix encoding issues with Windows. There are still some outlying but this fixes a few. [GH-4159]
- core: Fix crash case when destroying with an invalid provisioner. [GH-4281]
- core: Box names with colons work on Windows. [GH-4100]
- core: Cleanup all temp files. [GH-4103]
- core: User curlrc is not loaded, preventing strange download issues. [GH-4328]
- core: VM names may no longer contain brackets, since they cause issues with some providers. [GH-4319]
- core: Use "-f" to
rmfiles in case pty is true. [GH-4410]
- core: SSH key doesn't have to be owned by our user if we're running as root. [GH-4387]
- core: "vagrant provision" will cause "vagrant up" to properly not reprovision. [GH-4393]
- commands/box/add: "Content-Type" header is now case-insensitive when looking for metadata type. [GH-4369]
- commands/docker-run: Named docker containers no longer conflict. [GH-4294]
- commands/package: base package won't crash with exception [GH-4017]
- commands/rsync-auto: Destroyed machines won't raise exceptions. [GH-4031]
- commands/ssh: Extra args are passed through to Docker container. [GH-4378]
- communicators/ssh: Nicer error if remote unexpectedly disconnects. [GH-4038]
- communicators/ssh: Clean error when max sessions is hit. [GH-4044]
- communicators/ssh: Fix many issues around PTY-enabled output parsing. [GH-4408]
- communicators/winrm: Support
- communicators/winrm: Properly escape double quotes. [GH-4309]
- communicators/winrm: Detect failed commands that aren't CLIs. [GH-4383]
- guests/centos: Fix issues when NFS client is installed by restarting NFS [GH-4088]
- guests/debian: Deleting default route on DHCP networks can fail. [GH-4262]
- guests/fedora: Fix networks on Fedora 20 with libvirt. [GH-4104]
- guests/freebsd: Rsync install for rsync synced folders work on FreeBSD 10. [GH-4008]
- guests/freebsd: Configure vtnet devices properly [GH-4307]
- guests/linux: Show more verbose error when shared folder mount fails. [GH-4403]
- guests/redhat: NFS setup should use systemd for RH7+ [GH-4228]
- guests/redhat: Detect RHEL 7 (and CentOS) and install Docker properly. [GH-4402]
- guests/redhat: Configuring networks on EL7 works. [GH-4195]
- guests/redhat: Setting hostname on EL7 works. [GH-4352]
- guests/smartos: Use
pfexecfor rsync. [GH-4274]
- guests/windows: Reboot after hostname change. [GH-3987]
- hosts/arch: NFS works with latest versions. [GH-4224]
- hosts/freebsd: NFS exports are proper syntax. [GH-4143]
- hosts/gentoo: NFS works with latest versions. [GH-4418]
- hosts/windows: RDP command works without crash. [GH-3962]
- providers/docker: Port on its own will choose random host port. [GH-3991]
- providers/docker: The proxy VM Vagrantfile can be in the same directory as the main Vagrantfile. [GH-4065]
- providers/virtualbox: Increase network device limit to 36. [GH-4206]
- providers/virtualbox: Error if can't detect VM name. [GH-4047]
- provisioners/cfengine: Fix default Yum repo URL. [GH-4335]
- provisioners/chef: Chef client cleanup should work. [GH-4099]
- provisioners/puppet: Manifest file can be a directory. [GH-4169]
- provisioners/puppet: Properly escape facter variables for PowerShell on Windows guests. [GH-3959]
- provisioners/puppet: When provisioning fails, don't repeat all of stdout/stderr. [GH-4303]
- provisioners/salt: Update salt minion version on Windows. [GH-3932]
- provisioners/shell: If args is an array and contains numbers, it no longer crashes. [GH-4234]
- provisioners/shell: If fails, the output/stderr isn't repeated again. [GH-4087]
1.6.3 (May 29, 2014)
- New Guest: NixOS - Supports changing host names and setting networks. [GH-3830]
- core: A CA path can be specified in the Vagrantfile, not just a file, when using a custom CA. [GH-3848]
--capathflag added for custom CA path. [GH-3848]
- commands/halt: Halt in reverse order of up, like destroy. [GH-3790]
- hosts/linux: Uses rdesktop to RDP into machines if available. [GH-3845]
- providers/docker: Support for UDP forwarded ports. [GH-3886]
- provisioners/salt: Works on Windows guests. [GH-3825]
- core: Provider plugins more easily are compatible with global-status and should show less stale data. [GH-3808]
- core: When setting a synced folder, it will assume it is not disabled unless explicitly specified. [GH-3783]
- core: Ignore UDP forwarded ports for collision detection. [GH-3859]
- commands/package: Package with
--basefor VirtualBox doesn't crash. [GH-3827]
- guests/solaris11: Fix issue with public network and DHCP on newer Solaris releases. [GH-3874]
- guests/windows: Private networks with static IPs work when there is more than one. [GH-3818]
- guests/windows: Don't look up a forwarded port for WinRM if we're not accessing the local host. [GH-3861]
- guests/windows: Fix errors with arg lists that are too long over WinRM in some cases. [GH-3816]
- guests/windows: Powershell exits with proper exit code, fixing
- issues where non-zero exit codes weren't properly detected. [GH-3922]
- hosts/windows: Don't execute mstsc using PowerShell since it doesn't exit properly. [GH-3837]
- hosts/windows: For RDP, don't remove the Tempfile right away. [GH-3875]
- providers/docker: Never do graceful shutdown, always use
docker stop. [GH-3798]
- providers/docker: Better error messaging when SSH is not ready direct to container. [GH-3763]
- providers/docker: Don't port map SSH port if container doesn't support SSH. [GH-3857]
- providers/docker: Proper SSH info if using native driver. [GH-3799]
- providers/docker: Verify host VM has SSH ready. [GH-3838]
- providers/virtualbox: On Windows, check
VBOX_MSI_INSTALL_PATHfor VBoxManage path as well. [GH-3852]
- provisioners/puppet: Fix setting facter vars with Windows guests. [GH-3776]
- provisioners/puppet: On Windows, run in elevated prompt. [GH-3903]
- guests/darwin: Respect mount options for NFS. [GH-3791]
- guests/freebsd: Properly register the rsync_pre capability
- guests/windows: Certain executed provisioners won't leave output and exit status behind. [GH-3729]
rsync__chowncan be set to
falseto disable recursive chown after sync. [GH-3810]
- synced_folders/rsync: Use a proper msys path if not in Cygwin. [GH-3804]
- synced_folders/rsync: Don't append args infinitely, clear out arg list on each run. [GH-3864]
PLUGIN AUTHOR CHANGES:
- Providers can now implement the
rdp_infoprovider capability to get proper info for
vagrant rdpto function.
1.6.2 (May 12, 2014)
- core: Automatically forward WinRM port if communicator is WinRM. [GH-3685]
- command/rdp: Args after "--" are passed directly through to the RDP client. [GH-3686]
build_argsconfig to specify extra args for
docker build. [GH-3684]
- providers/docker: Can specify options for the build dir synced folder when a host VM is in use. [GH-3727]
- synced_folders/nfs: Can tell Vagrant not to handle exporting
- core: Hostnames can be one character. [GH-3713]
- core: Don't lock machines on SSH actions. [GH-3664]
- core: Fixed crash when adding a box from Vagrant Cloud that was the same name as a real directory. [GH-3732]
- core: Parallelization is more stable, doesn't crash due to to bad locks. [GH-3735]
- commands/package: Don't double included files in package. [GH-3637]
- guests/linux: Rsync chown ignores symlinks. [GH-3744]
- provisioners/shell: Fix shell provisioner config validation when the
binaryoption is set to false [GH-3712]
- providers/docker: default proxy VM won't use HGFS [GH-3687]
- providers/docker: fix container linking [GH-3719]
- providers/docker: Port settings expose to host properly. [GH-3723]
- provisioners/puppet: Separate module paths with ';' on Windows. [GH-3731]
- synced_folders\rsync: Copy symlinks as real files. [GH-3734]
- synced_folders/rsync: Remove non-portable '-v' flag from chown. [GH-3743]
1.6.1 (May 7, 2014)
- New guest: Linux Mint is now properly detected. [GH-3648]
- core: Global control works from directories that don't have a Vagrantfile.
- core: Plugins that define config methods that collide with Ruby Kernel/Object
- methods are merged properly. [GH-3670]
--baseworks without crashing for VirtualBox.
- commands/reload: If
--provisionis specified, force provisioning. [GH-3657]
- guests/redhat: Fix networking issues with CentOS. [GH-3649]
- guests/windows: Human error if WinRM not in use to configure networks. [GH-3651]
- guests/windows: Puppet exit code 2 doesn't cause Windows to raise an error. [GH-3677]
- providers/docker: Show proper error message when on Linux. [GH-3654]
- providers/docker: Proxy VM works properly even if default provider environmental variable set to "docker" [GH-3662]
- providers/docker: Put sync folders in
/var/lib/dockerbecause it usually has disk space. [GH-3680]
- synced_folders/rsync: Create the directory before syncing.
1.6.0 (May 6, 2014)
halt_check_intervalsettings for SmartOS, Solaris, and Solaris11 guests. These will be fully removed in 1.7. A warning will be shown if they're in use in 1.6.
- New guest: Windows. Vagrant now fully supports Windows as a guest VM. WinRM can be used for communication (or SSH), and the shell provisioner, Chef, and Puppet all work with Windows VMs.
- New command: global-status. This command shows the state of every created Vagrant environment on the system for that logged in user.
- New command: rdp. This command connects to the running machine via the Remote Desktop Protocol.
- New command: version. This outputs the currently installed version as well as the latest version of Vagrant available.
- New provider: Docker. This provider will back your development environments with Docker containers. If you're not on Linux, it will automatically spin up a VM for you on any provider. You can even specify a specific Vagrantfile to use as the Docker container host.
- Control Vagrant environments from any directory. Using the UUIDs given
vagrant global-status, you can issue commands from anywhere on your machine, not just that environment's directory. Example:
vagrant destroy UUIDfrom anywhere.
- Can now specify a
post_up_messagein your Vagrantfile that is shown after a
vagrant up. This is useful for putting some instructions of how to use the development environment.
- Can configure provisioners to run "once" or "always" (defaults to "once"),
so that subsequent
reloadcalls will always run a provisioner. [GH-2421]
- Multi-machine environments can specify an "autostart" option (default
vagrant upstarts all machines that have enabled autostart.
- Vagrant is smarter about choosing a default provider. If
VAGRANT_DEFAULT_PROVIDERis set, it still takes priority, but otherwise Vagrant chooses a "best" provider.
- core: Vagrant locks machine access to one Vagrant process at a time.
This will protect against two simultaneous
upactions happening on the same environment.
- core: Boxes can be compressed with LZMA now as well.
- commands/box/remove: Warns if the box appears to be in use by an
environment. Can be forced with
- commands/destroy: Exit codes changes. 0 means everything succeeded. 1 means everything was declined. 2 means some were declined. [GH-811]
- commands/destroy: Doesn't require box to exist anymore. [GH-1629]
- commands/init: force flag. [GH-3564]
- commands/init: flag for minimal Vagrantfile creation (no comments). [GH-3611]
- commands/rsync-auto: Picks up and syncs provisioner folders if provisioners are backed by rsync.
- commands/rsync-auto: Detects when new synced folders were added and warns
user they won't be synced until
- commands/ssh-config: Works without a target in multi-machine envs [GH-2844]
- guests/freebsd: Support for virtio interfaces. [GH-3082]
- guests/openbsd: Support for virtio interfaces. [GH-3082]
- guests/redhat: Networking works for upcoming RHEL7 release. [GH-3643]
- providers/hyperv: Implement
vagrant ssh -csupport. [GH-3615]
- provisioners/ansible: Support for Ansible Vault. [GH-3338]
- provisioners/ansible: Show Ansible command executed. [GH-3628]
- provisioners/salt: Colorize option. [GH-3603]
- provisioners/salt: Ability to specify log level. [GH-3603]
- synced_folders: nfs: Improve sudo commands used to make them sudoers friendly. Examples in docs. [GH-3638]
- core: Adding a box from a network share on Windows works again. [GH-3279]
- commands/plugin/install: Specific versions are now locked in.
- commands/plugin/install: If insecure RubyGems.org is specified as a source, use that. [GH-3610]
- commands/rsync-auto: Interrupt exits properly. [GH-3552]
- commands/rsync-auto: Run properly on Windows. [GH-3547]
- communicators/ssh: Detect if
config.ssh.shellis invalid. [GH-3040]
- guests/debian: Can set hostname if hosts doesn't contain an entry already for 127.0.1.1 [GH-3271]
- guests/linux: For
LANG=enso it works on international systems. [GH-3029]
- providers/virtualbox: VirtalBox detection works properly again on
Windows when the
VBOX_INSTALL_PATHhas multiple elements. [GH-3549]
- providers/virtualbox: Forcing MAC address on private network works properly again. [GH-3588]
- provisioners/chef-solo: Fix Chef version checking to work with prerelease versions. [GH-3604]
- provisioners/salt: Always copy keys and configs on provision. [GH-3536]
- provisioners/salt: Install args should always be present with bootstrap.
- provisioners/salt: Overwrite keys properly on subsequent provisions [GH-3575]
- provisioners/salt: Bootstrap uses raw GitHub URL rather than subdomain. [GH-3583]
- synced_folders/nfs: Acquires a process-level lock so exports don't collide with Vagrant running in parallel.
- synced_folders/nfs: Implement usability check so that hosts that don't support NFS get an error earlier. [GH-3625]
- synced_folders/rsync: Add UserKnownHostsFile option to not complain. [GH-3511]
- synced_folders/rsync: Proxy command is used properly if set. [GH-3553]
- synced_folders/rsync: Owner/group settings are respected. [GH-3544]
- synced_folders/smb: Passwords with symbols work. [GH-3642]
PLUGIN AUTHOR CHANGES:
- New host capability: "rdp_client". This capability gets the RDP connection info and must launch the RDP client on the system.
- core: The "Call" middleware now merges the resulting middleware stack into the current stack, rather than running it as a separate stack. The result is that ordering is preserved.
- core: The "Message" middleware now takes a "post" option that will output the message on the return-side of the middleware stack.
- core: Forwarded port collision repair works when Vagrant is run in parallel with other Vagrant processes. [GH-2966]
- provider: Providers can now specify that boxes are optional. This lets
you use the provider without a
config.vm.box. Useful for providers like AWS or Docker.
- provider: A new class-level
usable?method can be implemented on the provider implementation. This returns or raises an error when the provider is not usable (i.e. VirtualBox isn't installed for VirtualBox)
- synced_folders: New "disable" method for removing synced folders from a running machine.
1.5.4 (April 21, 2014)
- commands/box/list: Doesn't parse Vagrantfile. [GH-3502]
- providers/hyperv: Implement the provision command. [GH-3494]
- core: Allow overriding of the default SSH port. [GH-3474]
- commands/box/remove: Make output nicer. [GH-3470]
- commands/box/update: Show currently installed version. [GH-3467]
- command/rsync-auto: Works properly on Windows.
- guests/coreos: Fix test for Docker daemon running.
- guests/linux: Fix test for Docker provisioner whether Docker is running.
- guests/linux: Fix regression where rsync owner/group stopped working. [GH-3485]
- provisioners/docker: Fix issue where we weren't waiting for Docker to properly start before issuing commands. [GH-3482]
- provisioners/shell: Better validation of master config path, results in no more stack traces at runtime. [GH-3505]
1.5.3 (April 14, 2014)
- core: 1.5 upgrade code gives users a chance to quit. [GH-3212]
- commands/rsync-auto: An initial sync is done before watching folders. [GH-3327]
- commands/rsync-auto: Exit immediately if there are no paths to watch. [GH-3446]
- provisioners/ansible: custom vars/hosts files can be added in .vagrant/provisioners/ansible/inventory/ directory [GH-3436]
- core: Randomize some filenames internally to improve the parallelism of Vagrant. [GH-3386]
- core: Don't error if network problems cause box update check to fail [GH-3391]
vagranton Windows cmd.exe doesn't always exit with exit code zero. [GH-3420]
- core: Adding a box from a network share has nice error on Windows. [GH-3279]
- core: Setting an ID on a provisioner now works. [GH-3424]
- core: All synced folder paths containing symlinks are fully expanded before sharing. [GH-3444]
- core: Windows no longer sees "process not started" errors rarely.
- commands/box/repackage: Works again. [GH-3372]
- commands/box/update: Update should check for updates from latest version. [GH-3452]
- commands/package: Nice error if includes contain symlinks. [GH-3200]
- commands/rsync-auto: Don't crash if the machine can't be communicated to. [GH-3419]
- communicators/ssh: Throttle connection attempt warnings if the warnings are the same. [GH-3442]
- guests/coreos: Docker provisioner works. [GH-3425]
- guests/fedora: Fix hostname setting. [GH-3382]
- guests/fedora: Support predictable network interface names for public/private networks. [GH-3207]
- guests/linux: Rsync folders have proper group if owner not set. [GH-3223]
- guests/linux: If SMB folder mounting fails, the password will no longer be shown in plaintext in the output. [GH-3203]
- guests/linux: SMB mount works with passwords with symbols. [GH-3202]
- providers/hyperv: Check for PowerShell features. [GH-3398]
- provisioners/docker: Don't automatically generate container name with a forward slash. [GH-3216]
- provisioners/shell: Empty shell scripts don't cause errors. [GH-3423]
- synced_folders/smb: Only set the chmod properly by default on Windows if it isn't already set. [GH-3394]
- synced_folders/smb: Sharing folders with odd characters like parens works properly now. [GH-3405]
1.5.2 (April 2, 2014)
- New guest: SmartOS
- core: Change wording from "error" to "warning" on SSH retry output to convey actual meaning.
- commands/plugin: Listing plugins now has machine-readable output. [GH-3293]
- guests/omnios: Mount NFS capability [GH-3282]
- synced_folders/smb: Verify PowerShell v3 or later is running. [GH-3257]
- core: Vagrant won't collide with newer versions of Bundler [GH-3193]
- core: Allow provisioner plugins to not have a config class. [GH-3272]
- core: Removing a specific box version that doesn't exist doesn't crash Vagrant. [GH-3364]
- core: SSH commands are forced to be ASCII.
- core: private networks with DHCP type work if type parameter is a string and not a symbol. [GH-3349]
- core: Converting to cygwin path works for folders with spaces. [GH-3304]
- core: Can add boxes with spaces in their path. [GH-3306]
- core: Prerelease plugins installed are locked to that prerelease version. [GH-3301]
- core: Better error message when adding a box with a malformed version. [GH-3332]
- core: Fix a rare issue where vagrant up would complain it couldn't check version of a box that doesn't exist. [GH-3326]
- core: Box version constraint can't be specified with old-style box. [GH-3260]
- commands/box: Show versions when listing. [GH-3316]
- commands/box: Outdated check can list local boxes that are newer. [GH-3321]
- commands/status: Machine readable output contains the target. [GH-3218]
- guests/arch: Reload udev rules after network change. [GH-3322]
- guests/debian: Changing host name works properly. [GH-3283]
- guests/suse: Shutdown works correctly on SLES [GH-2775]
- hosts/linux: Don't hardcode
exportfspath. Now searches the PATH. [GH-3292]
- providers/hyperv: Resume command works properly. [GH-3336]
- providers/virtualbox: Add missing translation for stopping status. [GH-3368]
- providers/virtualbox: Host-only networks set cableconnected property to "yes" [GH-3365]
- provisioners/docker: Use proper flags for 0.9. [GH-3356]
- synced_folders/rsync: Set chmod flag by default on Windows. [GH-3256]
- synced_folders/smb: IDs of synced folders are hashed to work better with VMware. [GH-3219]
- synced_folders/smb: Properly remove existing folders with the same name. [GH-3354]
- synced_folders/smb: Passwords with symbols now work. [GH-3242]
- synced_folders/smb: Exporting works for non-english locale Windows machines. [GH-3251]
1.5.1 (March 13, 2014)
- guests/tinycore: Will now auto-install rsync.
- synced_folders/rsync: rsync-auto will not watch filesystem for excluded paths. [GH-3159]
- core: V1 Vagrantfiles can upgrade provisioners properly. [GH-3092]
- core: Rare EINVAL errors on box adding are gone. [GH-3094]
- core: Upgrading the home directory for Vagrant 1.5 uses the Vagrant temp dir. [GH-3095]
- core: Assume a box isn't metadata if it exceeds 20 MB. [GH-3107]
- core: Asking for input works even in consoles that don't support hiding input. [GH-3119]
- core: Adding a box by path in Cygwin on Windos works. [GH-3132]
- core: PowerShell scripts work when they're in a directory with spaces. [GH-3100]
- core: If you add a box path that doesn't exist, error earlier. [GH-3091]
- core: Validation on forwarded ports to make sure they're between 0 and 65535. [GH-3187]
- core: Downloads with user/password use the curl
vagrant helpno longer loads the Vagrantfile. [GH-3180]
- guests/darwin: Fix an exception when configuring networks. [GH-3143]
- guests/linux: Only chown folders/files in rsync if they don't have the proper owner. [GH-3186]
- hosts/linux: Unusual sed delimiter to avoid conflicts. [GH-3167]
- providers/virtualbox: Make more internal interactions with VBoxManage retryable to avoid spurious VirtualBox errors. [GH-2831]
- providers/virtualbox: Import progress works again on Windows.
- provisioners/ansible: Request SSH info within the provision method, when we know its available. [GH-3111]
- synced_folders/rsync: owner/group settings work. [GH-3163]
1.5.0 (March 10, 2014)
- provisioners/ansible: the machine name (taken from Vagrantfile) is now set as default limit to ensure that vagrant provision steps only affect the expected machine.
- provisioners/chef-solo: The "nfs" setting has been replaced by
synced_folder_type. The "nfs" setting will be removed in the next version.
- provisioners/puppet: The "nfs" setting has been replaced by
synced_folder_type. The "nfs" setting will be removed in the next version.
- New provider: Hyper-V. If you're on a Windows machine with Hyper-V enabled, Vagrant can now manage Hyper-V virtual machines out of the box.
- New guest: Funtoo (change host name and networks supported)
- New guest: NetBSD
- New guest: TinyCore Linux. This allows features such as networking, halting, rsync and more work with Boot2Docker.
- New synced folder type: rsync - Does a one-time one-directional sync
to the guest machine. New commands
vagrant rsync-autocan resync the folders.
- New synced folder type: SMB- Allows bi-directional folder syncing using SMB on Windows hosts with any guest.
- Password-based SSH authentication. This lets you use almost any off-the-shelf virtual machine image with Vagrant. Additionally, Vagrant will automatically insert a keypair into the machine.
- Plugin versions can now be constrained to a range of versions. Example:
vagrant plugin install foo --plugin-version "> 1.0, < 1.1"
- Host-specific operations now use a "host capabilities" system much like guests have used "guest capabilities" for a few releases now. This allows plugin developers to create pluggable host-specific capabilities and makes further integrating Vagrant with new operating systems even easier.
- You can now override provisioners within sub-VM configuration and provider overrides. See documentation for more info. [GH-1113]
- providers/virtualbox: Provider-specific configuration
cpuscan be used to set the number of CPUs on the VM [GH-2800]
- provisioners/docker: Can now build images using
docker build. [GH-2615]
- core: Added "error-exit" type to machine-readable output which contains error information that caused a non-zero exit status. [GH-2999]
- command/destroy: confirmation will re-ask question if bad input. [GH-3027]
- guests/solaris: More accurate Solaris >= 11, < 11 detection. [GH-2824]
- provisioners/ansible: Generates a single inventory file, rather than one per machine. See docs for more info. [GH-2991]
- provisioners/ansible: SSH forwarding support. [GH-2952]
- provisioners/ansible: Multiple SSH keys can now be attempted [GH-2952]
- provisioners/ansible: Disable SSH host key checking by default, which improves the experience. We believe this is a sane default for ephemeral dev machines.
- provisioners/chef-solo: New config
nfsoption. This can be used to set the synced folders the provisioner needs to any type. [GH-2709]
roles_pathscan now be an array of paths in Chef 11.8.0 and newer. [GH-2975]
- provisioners/docker: Can start a container without daemonization.
- provisioners/docker: Started containers are given names. [GH-3051]
- provisioners/puppet: New config
nfsoption. This can be used to set the synced folders the provisioner needs to any type. [GH-2709]
vagrant plugin updatewill now update all installed plugins, respecting any constraints set.
vagrant plugin uninstallcan now uninstall multiple plugins.
vagrant plugin installcan now install multiple plugins.
- hosts/redhat: Recognize Korora OS. [GH-2869]
- synced_folders/nfs: If the guest supports it, NFS clients will be automatically installed in the guest.
- core: If an exception was raised while attempting to connect to SSH for the first time, it would get swallowed. It is properly raised now.
- core: Plugin installation does not fail if your local gemrc file has syntax errors.
- core: Plugins that fork within certain actions will no longer hang indefinitely. [GH-2756]
- core: Windows checks home directory permissions more correctly to warn of potential issues.
- core: Synced folders set to the default synced folder explicitly won't be deleted. [GH-2873]
- core: Static IPs can end in ".1". A warning is now shown. [GH-2914]
- core: Adding boxes that have directories in them works on Windows.
- core: Vagrant will not think provisioning is already done if the VM is manually deleted outside of Vagrant.
- core: Box file checksums of large files works properly on Windows. [GH-3045]
- commands/box: Box add
- commands/box: Listing boxes with machine-readable output crash is gone.
- commands/plugin: Plugin installation will fail if dependencies conflict, rather than at runtime.
- commands/ssh: When using
-con Windows, no more TTY errors.
- commands/ssh-config: ProxyCommand is included in output if it is set. [GH-2950]
- guests/coreos: Restart etcd after configuring networks. [GH-2852]
- guests/linux: Don't chown VirtualBox synced folders if mounting as readonly. [GH-2442]
- guests/redhat: Set hostname to FQDN, per the documentation for RedHat. [GH-2792]
- hosts/bsd: Don't invoke shell for NFS sudo calls. [GH-2808]
- hosts/bsd: Sort NFS exports to avoid false validation errors. [GH-2927]
- hosts/bsd: No more checkexports NFS errors if you're sharing the same directory. [GH-3023]
- hosts/gentoo: Look for systemctl in
- hosts/linux: Properly escape regular expression to prune NFS exports, allowing VMware to work properly. [GH-2934]
- hosts/opensuse: Start NFS server properly. [GH-2923]
- providers/virtualbox: Enabling internal networks by just setting "true" works properly. [GH-2751]
- providers/virtualbox: Make more internal interactions with VBoxManage retryable to avoid spurious VirtualBox errors. [GH-2831]
- providers/virtualbox: Config validation catches invalid keys. [GH-2843]
- providers/virtualbox: Fix network adapter configuration issue if using provider-specific config. [GH-2854]
- providers/virtualbox: Bridge network adapters always have their "cable connected" properly. [GH-2906]
- provisioners/chef: When chowning folders, don't follow symlinks.
- provisioners/chef: Encrypted data bag secrets also in Chef solo are now uploaded to the provisioning path to avoid perm issues. [GH-2845]
- provisioners/chef: Encrypted data bag secret is removed from the machine before and after provisioning also with Chef client. [GH-2845]
- provisioners/chef: Set
encrypted_data_bag_secreton the VM to
nilif the secret is not specified. [GH-2984]
- provisioners/chef: Fix loading of the custom configure file. [GH-876]
- provisioners/docker: Only add SSH user to docker group if the user isn't already in it. [GH-2838]
- provisioners/docker: Configuring autostart works properly with the newest versions of Docker. [GH-2874]
- provisioners/puppet: Append default module path to the module paths always. [GH-2677]
- provisioners/salt: Setting pillar data doesn't require
deep_mergeplugin anymore. [GH-2348]
- provisioners/salt: Options can now set install type and install args. [GH-2766]
- provisioners/salt: Fix case when salt would say "options only allowed before install arguments" [GH-3005]
- provisioners/shell: Error if script is encoded incorrectly. [GH-3000]
- synced_folders/nfs: NFS entries are pruned on every
vagrant up, if there are any to prune. [GH-2738]
1.4.3 (January 2, 2014)
vagrant packageworks properly again. [GH-2739]
1.4.2 (December 31, 2013)
- guests/linux: emit upstart event when NFS folders are mounted. [GH-2705]
- provisioners/chef-solo: Encrypted data bag secret is removed from the machine after provisioning. [GH-2712]
- core: Ctrl-C no longer raises "trap context" exception.
- core: The version for
Vagrant.configurecan now be an int. [GH-2689]
Vagrant.has_plugin?tries to use plugin's gem name before registered plugin name [GH-2617]
- core: Fix exception if an EOFError was somehow raised by Ruby while checking a box checksum. [GH-2716]
- core: Better error message if your plugin state file becomes corrupt somehow. [GH-2694]
- core: Box add will fail early if the box already exists. [GH-2621]
- hosts/bsd: Only run
nfsd checkexportsif there is an exports file. [GH-2714]
- commands/plugin: Fix exception that could happen rarely when installing a plugin.
- providers/virtualbox: Error when packaging if the package already exists before the export is done. [GH-2380]
- providers/virtualbox: NFS with static IP works even if VirtualBox guest additions aren't installed (regression). [GH-2674]
- synced_folders/nfs: sudo will only ask for password one at a time when using a parallel provider [GH-2680]
1.4.1 (December 18, 2013)
- hosts/bsd: check NFS exports file for issues prior to exporting
- provisioners/ansible: Add ability to use Ansible groups in generated inventory [GH-2606]
- provisioners/docker: Add support for using the provisioner with RedHat based guests [GH-2649]
- provisioners/docker: Remove "Docker" prefix from Client and Installer classes [GH-2641]
- core: box removal of a V1 box works
vagrant ssh -ccommands are now executed in the context of a login shell (regression). [GH-2636]
- core: specifying
vagrant ssh -cas extra args will properly enable/disable a TTY for OpenSSH. [GH-2618]
- commands/init: Error if can't write Vagrantfile to directory. [GH-2660]
- guests/debian: fix
use_dhcp_assigned_default_routeto work properly. [GH-2648]
- guests/debian,ubuntu: fix change_host_name for FQDNs with trailing dots [GH-2610]
- guests/freebsd: configuring networks in the guest works properly [GH-2620]
- guests/redhat: fix configure networks bringing down interfaces that don't exist. [GH-2614]
- providers/virtualbox: Don't override NFS exports for all VMs when coming up. [GH-2645]
- provisioners/ansible: Array arguments work for raw options [GH-2667]
- provisioners/chef-client: Fix node/client deletion when node_name is not set. [GH-2345]
- provisioners/chef-solo: Force remove files to avoid cases where a prompt would be shown to users. [GH-2669]
- provisioners/puppet: Don't prepend default module path for Puppet in case Puppet is managing its own paths. [GH-2677]
1.4.0 (December 9, 2013)
- New provisioner: Docker. Install Docker, pull containers, and run containers easier than ever.
- Machine readable output. Vagrant now has machine-friendly output by
- New plugin type: synced folder implementation. This allows new ways of syncing folders to be added as plugins to Vagrant.
Vagrant.require_versionfunction can be used at the top of a Vagrantfile to enforce a minimum/maximum Vagrant version.
- Adding boxes via
vagrant box addand the Vagrantfile both support providing checksums of the box files.
--debugflag can be specified on any command now to get debug-level log output to ease reporting bugs.
- You can now specify a memory using
vb.memorysetting with VirtualBox.
- Plugin developers can now hook into
environment_plugins_loaded, which is executed after plugins are loaded but before Vagrantfiles are parsed.
- VirtualBox internal networks are now supported. [GH-2020]
- core: Support resumable downloads [GH-57]
- core: owner/group of shared folders can be specified by integers. [GH-2390]
- core: the VAGRANT_NO_COLOR environmental variable may be used to enable
--no-colormode globally. [GH-2261]
- core: box URL and add date is tracked and shown if
-iflag is specified for
vagrant box list[GH-2327]
- core: Multiple SSH keys can be specified with
config.vm.box_urlcan be an array of URLs. [GH-1958]
- commands/box/add: Can now specify a custom CA cert for verifying certs from a custom CA. [GH-2337]
- commands/box/add: Can now specify a client cert when downloading a box. [GH-1889]
- commands/init: Add
--outputoption for specifying output path, or "-" for stdin. [GH-1364]
- commands/provision: Add
--no-paralleloption to disable provider parallelization if the provider supports it. [GH-2404]
- commands/ssh: SSH compression is enabled by default. [GH-2456]
- commands/ssh: Inline commands specified with "-c" are now executed using OpenSSH rather than pure-Ruby SSH. It is MUCH faster, and stdin works!
- communicators/ssh: new configuration
config.ssh.ptyis a boolean for whether you want ot use a PTY for provisioning.
- guests/linux: emit upstart event
vagrant-mountedif upstart is available. [GH-2502]
- guests/pld: support changing hostname [GH-2543]
- providers/virtualbox: Enable symlinks for VirtualBox 4.1. [GH-2414]
- providers/virtualbox: default VM name now includes milliseconds with a random number to try to avoid conflicts in CI environments. [GH-2482]
- providers/virtualbox: customizations via VBoxManage are retried, avoiding VirtualBox flakiness [GH-2483]
- providers/virtualbox: NFS works with DHCP host-only networks now. [GH-2560]
- provisioners/ansible: allow files for extra vars [GH-2366]
- provisioners/puppet: client cert and private key can now be specified for the puppet server provisioner. [GH-902]
- provisioners/puppet: the manifests path can be in the VM. [GH-1805]
- provisioners/shell: Added
keep_coloroption to not automatically color output based on stdout/stderr. [GH-2505]
- provisioners/shell: Arguments can now be an array of args. [GH-1949]
- synced_folders/nfs: Specify
nfs_udpto false to disable UDP based NFS folders. [GH-2304]
- core: Make sure machine IDs are always strings. [GH-2434]
- core: 100% CPU spike when waiting for SSH is fixed. [GH-2401]
- core: Command lookup works on systems where PATH is not valid UTF-8 [GH-2514]
- core: Human-friendly error if box metadata.json becomes corrupted. [GH-2305]
- core: Don't load Vagrantfile on
vagrant plugincommands, allowing Vagrantfiles that use plugins to work. [GH-2388]
- core: global flags are ignored past the "--" on the CLI. [GH-2491]
- core: provisoining will properly happen if
- guests/freebsd: Mounting NFS folders works. [GH-2400]
- guests/freebsd: Uses
shby default for shell. [GH-2485]
- guests/linux: upstart events listening for
vagrant-mountedwon't wait for jobs to complete, fixing issues with blocking during vagrant up [GH-2564]
DHCP_HOSTNAMEis set to the hostname, not the FQDN. [GH-2441]
- guests/redhat: Down interface before messing up configuration file for networking. [GH-1577]
- guests/ubuntu: "localhost" is preserved when changing hostnames. [GH-2383]
- hosts/bsd: Don't set mapall if maproot is set in NFS. [GH-2448]
- hosts/gentoo: Support systemd for NFS startup. [GH-2382]
- providers/virtualbox: Don't start new VM if VirtualBox has transient
upfrom suspended. [GH-2479]
- provisioners/chef: Chef client encrypted data bag secrets are now uploaded to the provisioning path to avoid perm issues. [GH-1246]
- provisioners/chef: Create/chown the cache and backup folders. [GH-2281]
- provisioners/chef: Verify environment paths exist in config validation step. [GH-2381]
- provisioners/puppet: Multiple puppet definitions in a Vagrantfile work correctly.
- provisioners/salt: Bootstrap on FreeBSD systems work. [GH-2525]
- provisioners/salt: Extra args for bootstrap are put in the proper location. [GH-2558]
1.3.5 (October 15, 2013)
- VirtualBox 4.3 is now supported. [GH-2374]
- ESXi is now a supported guest OS. [GH-2347]
- guests/redhat: Oracle Linux is now supported. [GH-2329]
- provisioners/salt: Support running overstate. [GH-2313]
- core: Fix some places where "no error message" errors were being reported when in fact there were errors. [GH-2328]
- core: Disallow hyphens or periods for starting hostnames. [GH-2358]
- guests/ubuntu: Setting hostname works properly. [GH-2334]
- providers/virtualbox: Retryable VBoxManage commands are properly retried. [GH-2365]
- provisioners/ansible: Verbosity won't be blank by default. [GH-2320]
- provisioners/chef: Fix exception raised during Chef client node cleanup. [GH-2345]
- provisioners/salt: Correct master seed file name. [GH-2359]
1.3.4 (October 2, 2013)
- provisioners/shell: Specify the
binaryoption as true and Vagrant won't automatically replace Windows line endings with Unix ones. [GH-2235]
- guests/suse: Support installing CFEngine. [GH-2273]
- core: Don't output
\e[0Kanymore on Windows. [GH-2246]
- core: Only modify
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATHon Mac when executing commands in the installer context. [GH-2231]
- core: Clear
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATHon Mac if the subprocess is executing a setuid or setgid script. [GH-2243]
- core: Defined action hook names can be strings now. They are converted to symbols internally.
- guests/debian: FQDN is properly set when setting the hostname. [GH-2254]
- guests/linux: Fix poor chown command for mounting VirtualBox folders.
- guests/linux: Don't raise exception right away if mounting fails, allow retries. [GH-2234]
- guests/redhat: Changing hostname changes DHCP_HOSTNAME. [GH-2267]
- hosts/arch: Vagrant won't crash on Arch anymore. [GH-2233]
- provisioners/ansible: Extra vars are converted to strings. [GH-2244]
- provisioners/ansible: Output will show up on a task-by-task basis. [GH-2194]
- provisioners/chef: Propagate disabling color if Vagrant has no color enabled. [GH-2246]
- provisioners/chef: Delete from chef server exception fixed. [GH-2300]
- provisioners/puppet: Work with restrictive umask. [GH-2241]
- provisioners/salt: Remove bootstrap definition file on each run in order to avoid permissions issues. [GH-2290]
1.3.3 (September 18, 2013)
- core: Fix issues with dynamic linker not finding symbols on OS X. [GH-2219]
- core: Properly clean up machine directories on destroy. [GH-2223]
- core: Add a timeout to waiting for SSH connection and server headers on SSH. [GH-2226]
1.3.2 (September 17, 2013)
- provisioners/ansible: Support more verbosity levels, better documentation. [GH-2153]
- provisioners/ansible: Add
- core: Report the proper invalid state when waiting for the guest machine to be ready
Guest#capability?now works with strings as well
- core: Fix NoMethodError in the new
- core: Convert forwarded port parameters to integers. [GH-2173]
- core: Don't spike CPU to 100% while waiting for machine to boot. [GH-2163]
- core: Increase timeout for individual SSH connection to 60 seconds. [GH-2163]
- core: Call realpath after creating directory so NFS directory creation works. [GH-2196]
- core: Don't try to be clever about deleting the machine state directory anymore. Manually done in destroy actions. [GH-2201]
- core: Find the root Vagrantfile only if Vagrantfile is a file, not a directory. [GH-2216]
- guests/linux: Try
id -gin addition to
getentfor mounting VirtualBox shared folders [GH-2197]
- hosts/arch: NFS exporting works properly, no exceptions. [GH-2161]
- hosts/bsd: Use only
sudofor writing NFS exports. This lets NFS exports work if you have sudo privs but not
- hosts/fedora: Fix host detection encoding issues. [GH-1977]
- hosts/linux: Fix NFS export problems with
- installer/mac: Vagrant works properly when a library conflicts from homebrew. [GH-2188]
- installer/mac: deb/rpm packages now have an epoch of 1 so that new installers don't appear older. [GH-2179]
- provisioners/ansible: Default output level is now verbose again. [GH-2194]
- providers/virtualbox: Fix an issue where destroy middlewares weren't being properly called. [GH-2200]
1.3.1 (September 6, 2013)
- core: Fix various issues where using the same options hash in a Vagrantfile can cause errors.
VAGRANT_VAGRANTFILEenv var only applies to the project Vagrantfile name. [GH-2130]
- core: Fix an issue where the data directory would be deleted too quickly in a multi-VM environment.
- core: Handle the case where we get an EACCES cleaning up the .vagrant directory.
- core: Fix exception on upgrade warnings from V1 to V2. [GH-2142]
- guests/coreos: Proper IP detection. [GH-2146]
- hosts/linux: NFS exporting works properly again. [GH-2137]
- provisioners/chef: Work even with restrictive umask on user. [GH-2121]
- provisioners/chef: Fix environment validation to be less restrictive.
- provisioners/puppet: No more "shared folders cannot be found" error. [GH-2134]
- provisioners/puppet: Work with restrictive umask on user by testing for folders with sudo. [GH-2121]
1.3.0 (September 5, 2013)
config.ssh.max_triesis gone. Instead of maximum tries, Vagrant now uses a simple overall timeout value
config.vm.boot_timeoutto wait for the machine to boot up.
config.vm.graceful_halt_retry_*settings are gone. Instead, a single timeout is now used to wait for a graceful halt to work, specified by
- The ':extra' flag to shared folders for specifying arbitrary mount
options has been replaced with the
:mount_optionsflag, which is now an array of mount options.
vagrant upwill now only run provisioning by default the first time it is run. Subsequent
upwill need to explicitly specify the
--provisionflag to provision. [GH-1776]
- New command:
vagrant plugin updateto update specific installed plugins.
- New provisioner: File provisioner. [GH-2112]
- New provisioner: Salt provisioner. [GH-1626]
- New guest: Mac OS X guest support. [GH-1914]
- New guest: CoreOS guest support. Change host names and configure networks on CoreOS. [GH-2022]
- New guest: Solaris 11 guest support. [GH-2052]
- Support for environments in the Chef-solo provisioner. [GH-1915]
- Provisioners can now define "cleanup" tasks that are executed on
vagrant destroy. [GH-1302]
- Chef Client provisioner will now clean up the node/client using
knifeif configured to do so.
vagrant uphas a
--no-destroy-on-errorflag that will not destroy the VM if a fatal error occurs. [GH-2011]
- NFS: Arbitrary mount options can be specified using the
mount_optionsoption on synced folders. [GH-1029]
- NFS: Arbitrary export options can be specified using
- Static IP can now be set on public networks. [GH-1745]
Vagrant.has_plugin?method for use in Vagrantfile to check if a plugin is installed. [GH-1736]
- Support for remote shell provisioning scripts [GH-1787]
- core: add
--colorto any Vagrant command to FORCE color output. [GH-2027]
- core: "config.vm.host_name" works again, just an alias to hostname.
- core: Reboots via SSH are now handled gracefully (without exception).
- core: Mark
disabledas true on forwarded port to disable. [GH-1922]
- core: NFS exports are now namespaced by user ID, so pruning NFS won't remove exports from other users. [GH-1511]
- core: "vagrant -v" no longer loads the Vagrantfile
- commands/box/remove: Fix stack trace that happens if no provider is specified. [GH-2100]
- commands/plugin/install: Post install message of a plugin will be shown if available. [GH-1986]
- commands/status: cosmetic improvement to better align names and statuses [GH-2016]
- communicators/ssh: Support a proxy_command. [GH-1537]
- guests/openbsd: support configuring networks, changing host name, and mounting NFS. [GH-2086]
- guests/suse: Supports private/public networks. [GH-1689]
- hosts/fedora: Support RHEL as a host. [GH-2088]
- providers/virtualbox: "post-boot" customizations will run directly after boot, and before waiting for SSH. [GH-2048]
- provisioners/ansible: Many more configuration options. [GH-1697]
- provisioners/ansible: Ansible
inventory_pathcan be a directory now. [GH-2035]
- provisioners/ansible: Extra verbose option by setting
inventory_pathwill be auto-generated if not specified. [GH-1907]
- provisioners/puppet: Add
nfsoption to puppet provisioner. [GH-1308]
- provisioners/shell: Set the
privilegedoption to false to run without sudo. [GH-1370]
- core: Clean up ".vagrant" folder more effectively.
- core: strip newlines off of ID file values [GH-2024]
- core: Multiple forwarded ports with different protocols but the same host port can be specified. [GH-2059]
:nic_typeoption for private networks is respected. [GH-1704]
- commands/up: provision-with validates the provisioners given. [GH-1957]
- guests/arch: use systemd way of setting host names. [GH-2041]
- guests/debian: Force bring up eth0. Fixes hangs on setting hostname. [GH-2026]
- guests/ubuntu: upstart events are properly emitted again. [GH-1717]
- hosts/bsd: Nicer error if can't read NFS exports. [GH-2038]
- hosts/fedora: properly detect later CentOS versions. [GH-2008]
- providers/virtualbox: VirtualBox 4.2 now supports up to 36 network adapters. [GH-1886]
- provisioners/ansible: Execute ansible with a cwd equal to the path where the Vagrantfile is. [GH-2051]
- provisioners/all: invalid config keys will be properly reported. [GH-2117]
- provisioners/ansible: No longer report failure on every run. [GH-2007]
- provisioners/ansible: Properly handle extra vars with spaces. [GH-1984]
- provisioners/chef: Formatter option works properly. [GH-2058]
- provisioners/chef: Create/chown the provisioning folder before reading contents. [GH-2121]
- provisioners/puppet: mount synced folders as root to avoid weirdness
- provisioners/puppet: Run from the correct working directory. [GH-1967] with Puppet. [GH-2015]
- providers/virtualbox: Use
getentto get the group ID instead of
idin case the name doesn't have a user. [GH-1801]
- providers/virtualbox: Will only set the default name of the VM on
1.2.7 (July 28, 2013)
- On Windows, properly convert synced folder host path to a string so that separator replacement works properly.
--color=falsefor no color in Puppet to support older versions properly. [GH-2000]
- Make sure the hostname configuration is a string. [GH-1999]
- cURL downloads now contain a user agent which fixes some issues with downloading Vagrant through proxies. [GH-2003]
vagrant plugin installwill now always properly show the actual installed gem name. [GH-1834]
1.2.6 (July 26, 2013)
- Box collections with multiple formats work properly by converting the supported formats to symbols. [GH-1990]
1.2.5 (July 26, 2013)
vagrant help <command>now works. [GH-1578]
config.vm.box_download_insecureto allow the box_url setting to point to an https site that won't be validated. [GH-1712]
- VirtualBox VBoxManage customizations can now be specified to run pre-boot (the default and existing functionality, pre-import, or post-boot. [GH-1247]
- VirtualBox no longer destroys unused network interfaces by default.
This didn't work across multi-user systems and required admin privileges
on Windows, so it has been disabled by default. It can be enabled using
the VirtualBox provider-specific
destroy_unused_network_interfacesconfiguration by setting it to true. [GH-1324]
- Remote commands that fail will now show the stdout/stderr of the command that failed. [GH-1203]
- Puppet will run without color if the UI is not colored. [GH-1344]
- Chef supports the "formatter" configuration for setting the formatter. [GH-1250]
- VAGRANT_DOTFILE_PATH environmental variable reintroduces the functionality removed in 1.1 from "config.dotfile_name" [GH-1524]
- Vagrant will show an error if VirtualBox 4.2.14 is running.
- Added provider to BoxNotFound error message. [GH-1692]
- If Ansible fails to run properly, show an error message. [GH-1699]
- Adding a box with the
--providerflag will now allow a box for any of that provider's supported formats.
- NFS mounts enable UDP by default, resulting in higher performance. (Because mount is over local network, packet loss is not an issue) [GH-1706]
box_urlnow handles the case where the provider doesn't perfectly match the provider in use, but the provider supports it. [GH-1752]
- Fix uninitialized constant error when configuring Arch Linux network. [GH-1734]
- Debian/Ubuntu change hostname works properly if eth0 is configured with hot-plugging. [GH-1929]
- NFS exports with improper casing on Mac OS X work properly. [GH-1202]
- Shared folders overriding '/vagrant' in multi-VM environments no longer all just use the last value. [GH-1935]
- NFS export fsid's are now 32-bit integers, rather than UUIDs. This lets NFS exports work with Linux kernels older than 2.6.20. [GH-1127]
- NFS export allows access from all private networks on the VM. [GH-1204]
- Default VirtualBox VM name now contains the machine name as defined in the Vagrantfile, helping differentiate multi-VM. [GH-1281]
- NFS works properly on CentOS hosts. [GH-1394]
- Solaris guests actually shut down properly. [GH-1506]
- All provisioners only output newlines when the provisioner sends a newline. This results in the output looking a lot nicer.
- Sharing folders works properly if ".profile" contains an echo. [GH-1677]
vagrant ssh-configIdentityFile is only wrapped in quotes if it contains a space. [GH-1682]
- Shared folder target path can be a Windows path. [GH-1688]
- Forwarded ports don't auto-correct by default, and will raise an error properly if they collide. [GH-1701]
- Retry SSH on ENETUNREACH error. [GH-1732]
- NFS is silently ignored on Windows. [GH-1748]
- Validation so that private network static IP does not end in ".1" [GH-1750]
- With forward agent enabled and sudo being used, Vagrant will automatically
discover and set
SSH_AUTH_SOCKremotely so that forward agent works properly despite misconfigured sudoers. [GH-1307]
- Synced folder paths on Windows containing '\' are replaced with '/' internally so that they work properly.
- Unused config objects are finalized properly. [GH-1877]
- Private networks work with Fedora guests once again. [GH-1738]
- Default internal encoding of strings in Vagrant is now UTF-8, allowing detection of Fedora to work again (which contained a UTF-8 string). [GH-1977]
1.2.4 (July 16, 2013)
- Chef solo and client provisioning now support a
custom_config_pathsetting that accepts a path to a Ruby file to load as part of Chef configuration, allowing you to override any setting available. [GH-876]
- CFEngine provisioner: you can now specify the package name to install, so CFEngine enterprise is supported. [GH-1920]
vagrant box removeworks with only the name of the box if that box exists only backed by one provider. [GH-1032]
vagrant destroyreturns exit status 1 if any of the confirmations are declined. [GH-923]
- Forwarded ports can specify a host IP and guest IP to bind to. [GH-1121]
- You can now set the "ip" of a private network that uses DHCP. This will change the subnet and such that the DHCP server uses.
file_cache_pathsupport for chef_solo. [GH-1897]
- VBoxManage or any other executable missing from PATH properly reported. Regression from 1.2.2. [GH-1928]
- Boxes downloaded as part of
vagrant upare now done so prior to config validation. This allows Vagrantfiles to references files that may be in the box itself. [GH-1061]
- Chef removes dna.json and encrypted data bag secret file prior to uploading. [GH-1111]
- NFS synced folders exporting sub-directories of other exported folders now works properly. [GH-785]
- NFS shared folders properly dereference symlinks so that the real path is used, avoiding mount errors [GH-1101]
- SSH channel is closed after the exit status is received, potentially eliminating any SSH hangs. [GH-603]
- Fix regression where VirtualBox detection wasn't working anymore. [GH-1918]
- NFS shared folders with single quotes in their name now work properly. [GH-1166]
- Debian/Ubuntu request DHCP renewal when hostname changes, which will fix issues with FQDN detecting. [GH-1929]
- SSH adds the "DSAAuthentication=yes" option in case that is disabled on the user's system. [GH-1900]
1.2.3 (July 9, 2013)
- Puppet provisioner now supports Hiera by specifying a
- Added a
working_directoryconfiguration option to the Puppet apply provisioner so you can specify the working directory when
puppetis called, making it friendly to Hiera data and such. [GH-1670]
- Ability to specify the host IP to bind forwarded ports to. [GH-1785]
- Setting hostnames works properly on OmniOS. [GH-1672]
- Better VBoxManage error detection on Windows systems. This avoids some major issues where Vagrant would sometimes "lose" your VM. [GH-1669]
- Better detection of missing VirtualBox kernel drivers on Linux systems. [GH-1671]
- More precise detection of Ubuntu/Debian guests so that running Vagrant within an LXC container works properly now.
- Allow strings in addition to symbols to more places in V1 configuration as well as V2 configuration.
ARPCHECK=0to RedHat OS family network configuration. [GH-1815]
- Add SSH agent forwarding sample to initial Vagrantfile. [GH-1808]
- VirtualBox: Only configure networks if there are any to configure. This allows linux's that don't implement this capability to work with Vagrant. [GH-1796]
- Default SSH forwarded port now binds to 127.0.0.1 so only local connections are allowed. [GH-1785]
netctlfor Arch Linux network configuration. [GH-1760]
- Improve fedora host detection regular expression. [GH-1913]
- SSH shows a proper error on EHOSTUNREACH. [GH-1911]
- Ignore "guest not ready" errors when attempting to graceful halt and carry on checks whether the halt succeeded. [GH-1679]
- Handle the case where a roles path for Chef solo isn't properly defined. [GH-1665]
- Finding V1 boxes now works properly again to avoid "box not found" errors. [GH-1691]
- Setting hostname on SLES 11 works again. [GH-1781]
config.vm.guestproperly forces guests again. [GH-1800]
read_ip_addresscapability for linux properly reads the IP of only the first network interface. [GH-1799]
- Validate that an IP is given for a private network. [GH-1788]
- Fix uninitialized constant error for Gentoo plugin. [GH-1698]
1.2.2 (April 23, 2013)
DestroyConfirmbuilt-in middleware for providers so they can more easily conform to the
- No longer an error if the Chef run list is empty. It is now a warning. [GH-1620]
- Better locking around handling the
box_urlparameter for parallel providers.
- Solaris guest is now properly detected on SmartOS, OmniOS, etc. [GH-1639]
- Guest addition version detection is more robust, attempting other routes to get the version, and also retrying a few times. [GH-1575]
vagrant package --baseworks again. [GH-1615]
- Box overrides specified in provider config overrides no longer fail to detect the box. [GH-1617]
- In a multi-machine environment, a box not found won't be downloaded multiple times. [GH-1467]
vagrant box addwith a file path now works correctly on Windows when a drive letter is specified.
- DOS line endings are converted to Unix line endings for the shell provisioner automatically. [GH-1495]
1.2.1 (April 17, 2013)
- Add a
vagrant upto enable/disable parallelism. Vagrant will parallelize by default.
- Get rid of arbitrary 4 second sleep when connecting via SSH. The issue it was attempting to work around may be gone now.
- Chef solo run list properly set. [GH-1608]
- Follow 30x redirects when downloading boxes. [GH-1607]
- Chef client config defaults are done properly. [GH-1609]
- VirtualBox mounts shared folders with the proper owner/group. [GH-1611]
- Use the Mozilla CA cert bundle for cURL so SSL validation works properly.
1.2.0 (April 16, 2013)
- WINDOWS USERS: Vagrant now defaults to using the 'USERPROFILE' environmental
variable for the home directory if it is set. This means that the default
location for the Vagrant home directory is now
%USERPROFILE%/.vagrant.d. On Cygwin, this will cause existing Cygwin users to "lose" their boxes. To work around this, either set
VAGRANT_HOMEto your Cygwin ".vagrant.d" folder or move your ".vagrant.d" folder to
USERPROFILE. The latter is recommended for long-term support.
- The constant
Vagrant::Environment::VAGRANT_HOMEwas removed in favor of
- Providers can now parallelize! If they explicitly support it, Vagrant will run "up" and other commands in parallel. For providers such AWS, this means that your instances will come up in parallel. VirtualBox does not support this mode.
- Box downloads are now done via
curlrather than Ruby's built-in HTTP library. This results in massive speedups, support for SSL verification, FTP downloads, and more.
config.vm.providernow takes an optional second parameter to the block, allowing you to override any configuration value. These overrides are applied last, and therefore override any other configuration value. Note that while this feature is available, the "Vagrant way" is instead to use box manifests to ensure that the "box" for every provider matches, so these sorts of overrides are unnecessary.
- A new "guest capabilities" system to replace the old "guest" system. This new abstraction allows plugins to define "capabilities" that certain guest operating systems can implement. This allows greater flexibility in doing guest-specific behavior.
- Ansible provisioner support. [GH-1465]
- Providers can now support multiple box formats by specifying the
- CFEngine provisioner support.
config.ssh.defaultsettings introduced to set SSH defaults that providers can still override. [GH-1479]
- Full Windows support in cmd.exe, PowerShell, Cygwin, and MingW based environments.
- By adding the "disabled" boolean flag to synced folders you can disable them altogether. [GH-1004]
- Specify the default provider with the
VAGRANT_DEFAULT_PROVIDERenvironmental variable. [GH-1478]
- Invalid settings are now caught and shown in a user-friendly way. [GH-1484]
- Detect PuTTY Link SSH client on Windows and show an error. [GH-1518]
vagrant sshin Cygwin won't output DOS path file warnings.
--rtcuseutc onas a sane default for VirtualBox. [GH-912]
- SSH will send keep-alive packets every 5 seconds by default to
keep connections alive. Can be disabled with
- Show a message on
vagrant upif the machine is already running. [GH-1558]
- "Running provisioner" output now shoes the provisioner shortcut name, rather than the less-than-helpful class name.
- Shared folders with the same guest path will overwrite each other. No more shared folder IDs.
- Shell provisioner outputs script it is running. [GH-1568]
- Automatically merge forwarded ports that share the same host port.
:macoption for host-only networks is respected. [GH-1536]
- Don't preserve modified time when untarring boxes. [GH-1539]
- Forwarded port auto-correct will not auto-correct to a port that is also in use.
- Cygwin will always output color by default. Specify
--no-colorto override this.
- Assume Cygwin has a TTY for asking for input. [GH-1430]
- Expand Cygwin paths to Windows paths for calls to VBoxManage and for VirtualBox shared folders.
- Output the proper clear line text for shells in Cygwin when reporting dynamic progress.
- When using
Builderinstances for hooks, the builders will be merged for the proper before/after chain. [GH-1555]
- Use the Vagrant temporary directory again for temporary files since they can be quite large and were messing with tmpfs. [GH-1442]
- Fix issue parsing extra SSH args in
vagrant sshin multi-machine environments. [GH-1545]
- Networks come back up properly on RedHat systems after reboot. [GH-921]
config.sshsettings override all detected SSH settings (regression). [GH-1479]
ssh-configwon't raise an exception if the VirtualBox machine is not created. [GH-1562]
- Multiple machines defined in the same Vagrantfile with the same name will properly merge.
- More robust hostname checking for RedHat. [GH-1566]
- Cookbook path existence for Chef is no longer an error, so that things like librarian and berkshelf plugins work properly. [GH-1570]
- Chef solo provisioner uses proper SSH username instead of hardcoded config. [GH-1576]
- Shell provisioner takes ownership of uploaded files properly so that they can also be manually executed later. [GH-1576]
1.1.6 (April 3, 2013)
- Fix SSH re-use connection logic to drop connection if an error occurs.
1.1.5 (April 2, 2013)
- More robust SSH connection close detection.
- Don't load
vagrant plugininstalled plugins when in a Bundler environment. This happens during plugin development. This will make Vagrant errors much quieter when developing plugins.
- Vagrant will detect Bundler environments, make assumptions that you're developing plugins, and will quiet its error output a bit.
- More comprehensive synced folder configuration validation.
- VBoxManage errors now show the output from the command so that users can potentially know what is wrong.
- Proper error message if invalid provisioner is used. [GH-1515]
- Don't error on graceful halt if machine just shut down very quickly. [GH-1505]
- Error message if private key for SSH isn't owned by the proper user. [GH-1503]
- Don't error too early when
config.vm.boxis not properly set.
- Show a human-friendly error if VBoxManage is not found (exit status 126). [GH-934]
- Action hook prepend/append will only prepend or append once.
- Retry SSH on Errno::EACCES.
- Show an error if an invalid network type is used.
- Don't share Chef solo folder if it doesn't exist on host.
1.1.4 (March 25, 2013)
- Default forwarded port adapter for VirtualBox should be 1.
1.1.3 (March 25, 2013)
- Puppet apply provisioner now retains the default module path even while specifying custom module paths. [GH-1207]
- Re-added DHCP support for host-only networks. [GH-1466]
- Ability to specify a plugin version, plugin sources, and
pre-release versions using
- Move VirtualBox guest addition checks to after the machine boots. [GH-1179]
Vagrant::TestHelpersbecause it doesn't really work anymore.
- Add PLX linux guest support. [GH-1490]
- Attempt to re-establish SSH connection on
- Allow any value that can convert to a string for
- Chef solo
recipe_urlworks properly again. [GH-1467]
- Port collision detection works properly in VirtualBox with auto-corrected ports. [GH-1472]
- Fix obscure error when temp directory is world writable when adding boxes.
- Improved error handling around network interface detection for VirtualBox [GH-1480]
1.1.2 (March 18, 2013)
- When not specifying a cookbooks_path for chef-solo, an error won't be shown if "cookbooks" folder is missing.
- Fix typo for exception when no host-only network with NFS. [GH-1448]
- Use UNSET_VALUE/nil with args on shell provisioner by default since
was too truthy. [GH-1447]
1.1.1 (March 18, 2013)
- Don't load plugins on any
vagrant plugincommand, so that errors are avoided. [GH-1418]
- An error will be shown if you forward a port to the same host port multiple times.
- Automatically convert network, provider, and provisioner names to symbols internally in case people define them as strings.
- Using newer versions of net-ssh and net-scp. [GH-1436]
- Quote keys to StringBlockEditor so keys with spaces, parens, and so on work properly.
- When there is no route to host for SSH, re-establish a new connection.
vagrant packageonce again works, no more nil error. [GH-1423]
- Human friendly error when "metadata.json" is missing in a box.
- Don't use the full path to the manifest file with the Puppet provisioner because it exposes a bug with Puppet path lookup on VMware.
- Fix bug in VirtualBox provider where port forwarding just didn't work if you attempted to forward to a port under 1024. [GH-1421]
- Fix cross-device box adds for Windows. [GH-1424]
- Fix minor issues with defaults of configuration of the shell provisioner.
- Fix Puppet server using "host_name" instead of "hostname" [GH-1444]
- Raise a proper error if no hostonly network is found for NFS with VirtualBox. [GH-1437]
1.1.0 (March 14, 2013)
- Vagrantfiles from 1.0.x that do not use any plugins are fully backwards compatible. If plugins are used, they must be removed prior to upgrading. The new plugin system in place will avoid this issue in the future.
- Lots of changes introduced in the form of a new configuration version and format, but this is opt-in. Old Vagrantfile format continues to be supported, as promised. To use the new features that will be introduced throughout the 1.x series, you'll have to upgrade at some point.
- Groundwork for providers, alternate backends for Vagrant that allow Vagrant to power systems other than VirtualBox. Much improvement and change will come to this throughout the 1.x lifecycle. The API will continue to change, features will be added, and more. Specifically, a revamped system for handling shared folders gracefully across providers will be introduced in a future release.
- New plugin system which adds much more structure and stability to the overall API. The goal of this system is to make it easier to write powerful plugins for Vagrant while providing a backwards-compatible API so that plugins will always load (though they will almost certainly not be functional in future versions of Vagrant).
- Plugins are now installed and managed using the
- Allow "file://" URLs for box URLs. [GH-1087]
- Emit "vagrant-mount" upstart event when NFS shares are mounted. [GH-1118]
- Add a VirtualBox provider config
auto_nat_dns_proxywhich when set to false will not attempt to automatically manage NAT DNS proxy settings with VirtualBox. [GH-1313]
vagrant provisionaccepts the
- Set the name of VirtualBox machines with
virtualbox.namein the VirtualBox provider config. [GH-1126]
vagrant sshwill execute an
sshbinary on Windows if it is on your PATH. [GH-933]
- The environmental variable
VAGRANT_VAGRANTFILEcan be used to specify an alternate Vagrantfile filename.
IMPROVEMENTS / BUG FIXES:
- Vagrant works much better in Cygwin environments on Windows by properly resolving Cygwin paths. [GH-1366]
- Improve the SSH "ready?" check by more gracefully handling timeouts. [GH-841]
- Human friendly error if connection times out for HTTP downloads. [GH-849]
- Detect when the VirtualBox installation is incomplete and error. [GH-846]
- Detect when kernel modules for VirtualBox need to be installed on Gentoo systems and report a user-friendly error. [GH-710]
vagrantcommands that can take a target VM name can take one even if you're not in a multi-VM environment. [GH-894]
- Hostname is set before networks are setup to avoid very slow
sudospeeds on CentOS. [GH-922]
config.ssh.shellnow includes the flags to pass to it, such as
- The check for whether a port is open or not is more complete by catching ENETUNREACH errors. [GH-948]
- SSH uses LogLevel FATAL so that errors are still shown.
- Sending a SIGINT (Ctrl-C) very early on when executing
vagrantno longer results in an ugly stack trace.
- Chef JSON configuration output is now pretty-printed to be human readable. [GH-1146] that SSHing succeeds when booting a machine.
- VMs in the "guru meditation" state can be destroyed now using
- Fix issue where changing SSH key permissions didn't properly work. [GH-911]
- Fix issue where Vagrant didn't properly detect VBoxManage on Windows if VBOX_INSTALL_PATH contained multiple paths. [GH-885]
- Fix typo in setting host name for Gentoo guests. [GH-931]
- Files that are included with
vagrant package --includenow properly preserve file attributes on earlier versions of Ruby. [GH-951]
- Multiple interfaces now work with Arch linux guests. [GH-957]
- Fix issue where subprocess execution would always spin CPU of Ruby process to 100%. [GH-832]
- Fix issue where shell provisioner would sometimes never end. [GH-968]
- Fix issue where puppet would reorder module paths. [GH-964]
- When console input is asked for (destroying a VM, bridged interfaces, etc.), keystrokes such as ctrl-D and ctrl-C are more gracefully handled. [GH-1017]
- Fixed bug where port check would use "localhost" on systems where "localhost" is not available. [GH-1057]
- Add missing translation for "saving" state on VirtualBox. [GH-1110]
- Proper error message if the remote end unexpectedly resets the connection while downloading a box over HTTP. [GH-1090]
- Human-friendly error is raised if there are permission issues when using SCP to upload files. [GH-924]
- Box adding doesn't use
/tmpanymore which can avoid some cross-device copy issues. [GH-1199]
- Vagrant works properly in folders with strange characters. [GH-1223]
- Vagrant properly handles "paused" VirtualBox machines. [GH-1184]
- Better behavior around permissions issues when copying insecure private key. [GH-580]
1.0.7 (March 13, 2013)
- Detect if a newer version of Vagrant ran and error if it did, because we're not forward-compatible.
- Check for guest additions version AFTER booting. [GH-1179]
- Quote IdentityFile in
ssh-configso private keys with spaces in the path work. [GH-1322]
- Fix issue where multiple Puppet module paths can be re-ordered [GH-964]
- Shell provisioner won't hang on Windows anymore due to unclosed tempfile. [GH-1040]
- Retry setting default VM name, since it sometimes fails first time. [GH-1368]
- Support setting hostname on Suse [GH-1063]
1.0.6 (December 21, 2012)
- Shell provisioner outputs proper line endings on Windows [GH-1164]
- SSH upload opens file to stream which fixes strange upload issues.
- Check for proper exit codes for Puppet, since multiple exit codes can mean success. [GH-1180]
- Fix issue where DNS doesn't resolve properly for 12.10. [GH-1176]
- Allow hostname to be a substring of the box name for Ubuntu [GH-1163]
puppet agentinstead of
puppetdto be Puppet 3.x compatible. [GH-1169]
- Work around bug in VirtualBox exposed by bug in OS X 10.8 where VirtualBox executables couldn't handle garbage being injected into stdout by OS X.
1.0.5 (September 18, 2012)
- Work around a critical bug in VirtualBox 4.2.0 on Windows that causes Vagrant to not work. [GH-1130]
- Plugin loading works better on Windows by using the proper file path separator.
- NFS works on Fedora 16+. [GH-1140]
- NFS works with newer versions of Arch hosts that use systemd. [GH-1142]
1.0.4 (September 13, 2012)
- VirtualBox 4.2 driver. [GH-1120]
ssh-confighelp to use
- Use "127.0.0.1" instead of "localhost" for port checking to fix problem where "localhost" is not properly setup. [GH-1057]
- Disable read timeout on Net::HTTP to avoid
- Retry SSH on
- Add missing translation for "saving" state. [GH-1110]
1.0.3 (May 1, 2012)
- Don't enable NAT DNS proxy on machines where resolv.conf already points to localhost. This allows Vagrant to work once again with Ubuntu 12.04. [GH-909]
1.0.2 (March 25, 2012)
- Provisioners will still mount folders and such if
--no-provisionis used, so that
vagrant provisionworks. [GH-803]
- Nicer error message if an unsupported SSH key type is used. [GH-805]
- Gentoo guests can now have their host names changed. [GH-796]
- Relative paths can be used for the
vagrant sshnow works on Solaris, where
IdentitiesOnlywas not an available option. [GH-820]
- Output works properly in the face of broken pipes. [GH-819]
- Enable Host IO Cache on the SATA controller by default.
- Chef-solo provisioner now supports encrypted data bags. [GH-816]
- Enable the NAT DNS proxy by default, allowing your DNS to continue working when you switch networks. [GH-834]
- Checking for port forwarding collisions also checks for other applications that are potentially listening on that port as well. [GH-821]
- Multiple VM names can be specified for the various commands now. For
vagrant up web db service. [GH-795]
- More robust error handling if a VM fails to boot. The error message is much clearer now. [GH-825]
1.0.1 (March 11, 2012)
- Installers are now bundled with Ruby 1.9.3p125. Previously they were bundled with 1.9.3p0. This actually fixes some IO issues with Windows.
- Windows installer now outputs a
vagrantbinary that will work in msys or Cygwin environments.
- Fix crashing issue which manifested itself in multi-VM environments.
- Add missing
environment.rbto avoid possible load errors. [GH-781]
vagrant destroyshows a nice error when called without a TTY (and hence can't confirm). [GH-779]
- Fix an issue with the
Vagrant::Environmentnot working properly. [GH-778]
VAGRANT_CWDenvironmental variable can be used to set the CWD to something other than the current directory.
- Downloading boxes from servers that don't send a content-length now works properly. [GH-788]
:facteroption now works for puppet server. [GH-790]
--provision-withflags are available to
:openbsdguest which supports only halting at the moment. [GH-773]
ssh-config -hnow shows help, instead of assuming a host is being specified. For host, you can still use
1.0.0 (March 6, 2012)
vagrant gemshould now be used to install Vagrant plugins that are gems. This installs the gems to a private gem folder that Vagrant adds to its own load path. This isolates Vagrant-related gems from system gems.
- Plugin loading no longer happens right when Vagrant is loaded, but when a Vagrant environment is loaded. I don't anticipate this causing any problems but it is a backwards incompatible change should a plugin depend on this (but I don't see any reason why they would).
vagrant destroynow asks for confirmation by default. This can be overridden with the
- Fix issue with Puppet config inheritance. [GH-722]
- Fix issue where starting a VM on some systems was incorrectly treated as failing. [GH-720]
- It is now an error to specify the packaging
outputas a directory. [GH-730]
- Unix-style line endings are used properly for guest OS. [GH-727]
- Retry certain VirtualBox operations, since they intermittently fail. [GH-726]
- Fix issue where Vagrant would sometimes "lose" a VM if an exception occurred. [GH-725]
vagrant destroydestroys virtual machines in reverse order. [GH-739]
- Add an
fsidoption to Linux NFS exports. [GH-736]
- Fix edge case where an exception could be raised in networking code. [GH-742]
- Add missing translation for the "guru meditation" state. [GH-745]
- Check that VirtualBox exists before certain commands. [GH-746]
- NIC type can be defined for host-only network adapters. [GH-750]
- Fix issue where re-running chef-client would sometimes cause problems due to file permissions. [GH-748]
- FreeBSD guests can now have their hostnames changed. [GH-757]
- FreeBSD guests now support host only networking and bridged networking. [GH-762]
VM#run_actionis now public so plugin-devs can hook into it.
- Fix crashing bug when attempting to run commands on the "primary" VM in a multi-VM environment. [GH-761]
- With puppet you can now specify
:facteras a dictionary of facts to override what is generated by Puppet. [GH-753]
- Automatically convert all arguments to
- openSUSE host system. [GH-766]
- Fix subprocess IO deadlock which would occur on Windows. [GH-765]
- Fedora 16 guest support. [GH-772]
0.9.7 (February 9, 2012)
- Fix regression where all subprocess IO simply didn't work with Windows. [GH-721]
0.9.6 (February 7, 2012)
- Fix strange issue with inconsistent childprocess reads on JRuby. [GH-711]
vagrant sshdoes a direct
exec()syscall now instead of going through the shell. This makes it so things like shell expansion oddities no longer cause problems. [GH-715]
- Fix crashing case if there are no ports to forward.
- Fix issue surrounding improper configuration of host only networks on RedHat guests. [GH-719]
- NFS should work properly on Gentoo. [GH-706]
0.9.5 (February 5, 2012)
- Fix crashing case when all network options are
:auto_config false. [GH-689]
- Type of network adapter can be specified with
- The NFS version can be specified with the
:nfs_versionoption on shared folders. [GH-557]
- Greatly improved FreeBSD guest and host support. [GH-695]
- Fix instability with RedHat guests and host only and bridged networks. [GH-698]
- When using bridged networking, only list the network interfaces that are up as choices. [GH-701]
- More intelligent handling of the
certnameoption for puppet server. [GH-702]
- You may now explicitly set the network to bridge to in the Vagrantfile
0.9.4 (January 28, 2012)
- Important internal changes to middlewares that make plugin developer's lives much easier. [GH-684]
- Match VM names that have parens, brackets, etc.
- Detect when the VirtualBox kernel module is not loaded and error. [GH-677]
:auto_configto false on any networking option to not automatically configure it on the guest. [GH-663]
- NFS shared folder guest paths can now contain shell expansion characters
- NFS shared folders with a
:createflag will have their host folders properly created if they don't exist. [GH-667]
- Fix the precedence for Arch, Ubuntu, and FreeBSD host classes so they are properly detected. [GH-683]
- Fix issue where VM import sometimes made strange VirtualBox folder layouts. [GH-669]
- Call proper
idcommand on Solaris. [GH-679]
- More accurate VBoxManage error detection.
- Shared folders can now be marked as transient using the
0.9.3 (January 24, 2012)
- Proper error handling for not enough arguments to
- Fix issue causing crashes with bridged networking. [GH-673]
- Ignore host only network interfaces that are "down." [GH-675]
- Use "printf" instead of "echo" to determine shell expanded files paths which is more generally POSIX compliant. [GH-676]
0.9.2 (January 20, 2012)
- Support shell expansions in shared folder guest paths again. [GH-656]
- Fix issue where Chef solo always expected the host to have a "cookbooks" folder in their directory. [GH-638]
forward_agentnot working when outside of blocks. [GH-651]
- Fix issue causing custom guest implementations to not load properly.
- Filter clear screen character out of output on SSH.
- Log output now goes on
stderr, since it is utility information.
- Get rid of case where a
NoMethodErrorcould be raised while determining VirtualBox version. [GH-658]
- Debian/Ubuntu uses
ifdownagain, instead of
ifconfig xxx down, since the behavior seems different/wrong.
- Give a nice error if
:vagrantis used as a JSON key, since Vagrant uses this. [GH-661]
- If there is only one bridgable interface, use that without asking the user. [GH-655]
- The shell will have color output if ANSICON is installed on Windows. [GH-666]
0.9.1 (January 18, 2012)
ifconfig device downinstead of
- Clearer invalid log level error. [GH-645]
- Fix exception raised with NFS
NoMethodErrorexception in puppet server.
vagrant box helpon Ruby 1.8.7. [GH-647]
0.9.0 (January 17, 2012)
- VirtualBox 4.0 support backported in addition to supporting VirtualBox 4.1.
config.vm.networksyntax changed so that the first argument is now the type of argument. Previously where you had
config.vm.network "184.108.40.206"you should now put
config.vm.network :hostonly, "220.127.116.11". This is in order to support bridged networking, as well.
config.vm.forward_portno longer requires a name parameter.
- Bridged networking.
:bridgedas the option will setup a bridged network.
- Host only networks can be configured with DHCP now. Specify
:dhcpas the IP and it will be done.
config.vm.customizenow takes a command to send to
VBoxManage, so any arbitrary command can be sent. The older style of passing a block no longer works and Vagrant will give a proper error message if it notices this old-style being used.
config.ssh.forwarded_port_keyis gone. Vagrant no longer cares about forwarded port names for any reason. Please use
config.ssh.forwarded_port_destinationhas been replaced by
config.ssh.guest_portwhich more accurately reflects what it is used for. Vagrant will automatically scan forwarded ports that match the guest port to find the SSH port.
- Logging. The entire Vagrant source has had logging sprinkled throughout to make debugging issues easier. To enable logging, set the VAGRANT_LOG environmental variable to the log level you wish to see. By default, logging is silent.
guestthroughout the source. Any
config.vm.systemconfigurations must be changed to
- Puppet provisioner no longer defaults manifest to "box.pp." Instead, it is now "default.pp"
- All Vagrant commands that take a VM name in a Multi-VM environment can now be given a regular expression. If the name starts and ends with a "/" then it is assumed to be a regular expression. [GH-573]
- Added a "--plain" flag to
vagrant sshwhich will cause Vagrant to not perform any authentication. It will simply
sshinto the proper IP and port of the virtual machine.
- If a shared folder now has a
:createflag set to
true, the path on the host will be created if it doesn't exist.
box add, which will overwite any existing boxes if they exist. [GH-631]
upwhich configures what provisioners run, by shortcut. [GH-367]
- Arbitrary mount options can be passed with
:extrato any shared folders. [GH-551]
- Options passed after a
vagrant sshare now passed directly to
- Ubuntu guests will now emit a
vagrant-mountedupstart event after shared folders are mounted.
attemptsis a new option on chef client and chef solo provisioners. This will run the provisioner multiple times until erroring about failing convergence. [GH-282]
- Removed Thor as a dependency for the command line interfaces. This resulted in general speed increases across all command line commands.
- Linux uses
shutdown -hinstead of
haltto hopefully more consistently power off the system. [GH-575]
- Tweaks to SSH to hopefully be more reliable in coming up.
- Helpful error message when SCP is unavailable in the guest. [GH-568]
- Error message for improperly packaged box files. [GH-198]
- Copy insecure private key to user-owned directory so even
sudoinstalled Vagrant installations work. [GH-580]
- Provisioner stdout/stderr is now color coded based on stdout/stderr. stdout is green, stderr is red. [GH-595]
- Chef solo now prompts users to run a
reloadif shared folders are not found on the VM. [GH-253]
- "--no-provision" once again works for certain commands. [GH-591]
- Resuming a VM from a saved state will show an error message if there would be port collisions. [GH-602]
vagrant ssh -cwill now exit with the same exit code as the command run. [GH-598]
vagrant ssh -cwill now send stderr to stderr and stdout to stdout on the host machine, instead of all output to stdout.
vagrant box addpath now accepts unexpanded shell paths such as
~/fooand will properly expand them. [GH-633]
- Vagrant can now be interrupted during the "importing" step.
- NFS exports will no longer be cleared when an expected error occurs. [GH-577]
0.8.10 (December 10, 2011)
- Revert the SSH tweaks made in 0.8.8. It affected stability
0.8.8 (December 1, 2011)
- Mount shared folders shortest to longest to avoid mounting subfolders first. [GH-525]
- Support for basic HTTP auth in the URL for boxes.
- Solaris support for host only networks. [GH-533]
vagrantcommands will not output color when stdout is not a TTY.
- Fix issue where
box_urlset with multiple VMs could cause issues. [GH-564]
- Chef provisioners no longer depend on a "v-root" share being available. [GH-556]
- NFS should work for FreeBSD hosts now. [GH-510]
- SSH executed methods respect
vagrant box addnow respects the "no_proxy" environmental variable. [GH-502]
- Tweaks that should make "Waiting for VM to boot" slightly more reliable.
- Add comments to Vagrantfile to make it detected as Ruby file for
- More correct guest addition version checking. [GH-514]
- Chef solo support on Windows is improved. [GH-542]
- Put encrypted data bag secret into
/tmpby default so that permissions are almost certainly guaranteed. [GH-512]
0.8.7 (September 13, 2011)
- Fix regression with remote paths from chef-solo. [GH-431]
- Fix issue where Vagrant crashes if
.vagrantfile becomes invalid. [GH-496]
- Issue a warning instead of an error for attempting to forward a port <= 1024. [GH-487]
0.8.6 (August 28, 2011)
- Fix issue with download progress not properly clearing the line. [GH-476]
- NFS should work properly on Fedora. [GH-450]
- Arguments can be specified to the
shellprovisioner via the
- Vagrant behaves much better when there are "inaccessible" VMs. [GH-453]
0.8.5 (August 15, 2011)
Note: 0.8.3 and 0.8.4 was yanked due to RubyGems encoding issue.
- Fix SSH
exec!to inherit proper
- Chef client now accepts an empty (
nil) run list again. [GH-429]
- Fix incorrect error message when running
provisionon halted VM. [GH-447]
- Checking guest addition versions now ignores OSE. [GH-438]
- Chef solo from a remote URL fixed. [GH-431]
- Arch linux support: host only networks and changing the host name. [GH-439] [GH-448]
- Chef solo
data_bags_pathcan only be single paths. [GH-446]
virtualbox_not_detectederror message to require 4.1.x. [GH-458]
- Add shortname (
hostname -s) for hostname setting on RHEL systems. [GH-456]
vagrant ssh -coutput no longer has a prefix and respects newlines from the output. [GH-462]
0.8.2 (July 22, 2011)
- Fix issue with SSH disconnects not reconnecting.
- Fix chef solo simply not working with roles/data bags. [GH-425]
- Multiple chef solo provisioners now work together.
- Update Puppet provisioner so no deprecation warning is shown. [GH-421]
- Removed error on "provisioner=" in config, as this has not existed for some time now.
- Add better validation for networking.
0.8.1 (July 20, 2011)
- Repush of 0.8.0 to fix a Ruby 1.9.2 RubyGems issue.
0.8.0 (July 20, 2011)
- VirtualBox 4.1 support only. Previous versions of VirtualBox are supported by earlier versions of Vagrant.
- Performance optimizations in
virtualboxgem. Huge speed gains.
:chef_serverprovisioner is now
- SSH connection is now cached after first access internally,
reload, etc. quite a bit.
- Actions which modify the VM now occur much more quickly,
greatly speeding up
- SUSE host only networking support. [GH-369]
- Show nice error message for invalid HTTP responses for HTTP downloader. [GH-403]
:inlineoption for shell provisioner to provide inline scripts as a string. [GH-395]
- Host only network now properly works on multiple adapters. [GH-365]
- Can now specify owner/group for regular shared folders. [GH-350]
ssh_confighost name will use VM name if given. [GH-332]
-eflag changed to
-cto align with
sshstandard behavior. [GH-323]
- Forward agent and forward X11 settings properly appear in
- Chef JSON can now be set with
chef.json =instead of the old
- Provisioner configuration is no longer cleared when the box
needs to be downloaded during an
- Multiple Chef provisioners no longer overwrite cookbook folders. [GH-407]
packagewon't delete previously existing file. [GH-408]
- Vagrantfile can be lowercase now. [GH-399]
- Only one copy of Vagrant may be running at any given time. [GH-364]
- Default home directory for Vagrant moved to
- Specify a
forwarded_port_destinationfor SSH configuration and SSH port searching will fall back to that if it can't find any other port. [GH-375]
0.7.8 (July 19, 2011)
- Make sure VirtualBox version check verifies that it is 4.0.x.
0.7.7 (July 12, 2011)
- Fix crashing bug with Psych and Ruby 1.9.2. [GH-411]
0.7.6 (July 2, 2011)
- Run Chef commands in a single command. [GH-390]
nfsoption for Chef to mount Chef folders via NFS. [GH-378]
- Add translation for
abortedstate in VM. [GH-371]
- Use full paths with the Chef provisioner so that restart cookbook will work. [GH-374]
- Add "--no-color" as an argument and no colorized output will be used. [GH-379]
- Added DEVICE option to the RedHat host only networking entry, which allows host only networking to work even if the VM has multiple NICs. [GH-382]
- Touch the network configuration file for RedHat so that the
sedworks with host only networking. [GH-381]
- Load prerelease versions of plugins if available.
- Do not load a plugin if it depends on an invalid version of Vagrant.
- Encrypted data bag support in Chef server provisioner. [GH-398]
- Use the
-Hflag to set the proper home directory for
0.7.5 (May 16, 2011)
config.ssh.portcan be specified and takes highest precedence if specified. Otherwise, Vagrant will still attempt to auto-detect the port. [GH-363]
- Get rid of RubyGems deprecations introduced with RubyGems 1.8.x
- Search in pre-release gems for plugins as well as release gems.
- Support for Chef-solo
- Can specify path to Chef binary using
- Can specify additional environment data for Chef using
0.7.4 (May 12, 2011)
- Chef environments support (for Chef 0.10) [GH-358]
- Suppress the "added to known hosts" message for SSH [GH-354]
- Ruby 1.8.6 support [GH-352]
- Chef proxy settings now work for chef server [GH-335]
0.7.3 (April 19, 2011)
- Retry all SSH on Net::SSH::Disconnect in case SSH is just restarting. [GH-313]
- Add NFS shared folder support for Arch linux. [GH-346]
- Fix issue with unknown terminal type output for sudo commands.
- Forwarded port protocol can now be set as UDP. [GH-311]
- Chef server file cache path and file backup path can be configured. [GH-310]
- Setting hostname should work on Debian now. [GH-307]
0.7.2 (February 8, 2011)
- Update JSON dependency to 1.5.1, which works with Ruby 1.9 on Windows.
- Fix sudo issues on sudo < 1.7.0 (again).
- Fix race condition in SSH, which specifically manifested itself in the chef server provisioner. [GH-295]
- Change sudo shell to use
- Can now set mac address of host only network. [GH-294]
- NFS shared folders with spaces now work properly. [GH-293]
- Failed SSH commands now show output in error message. [GH-285]
0.7.1 (January 28, 2011)
- Change error output with references to VirtualBox 3.2 to 4.0.
- Internal SSH through net-ssh now uses
IdentitiesOnlythanks to upstream net-ssh fix.
- Fix issue causing warnings to show with
forwardx11enabled for SSH. [GH-279]
- FreeBSD support for host only networks, NFS, halting, etc. [GH-275]
- Make SSH commands which use sudo compatible with sudo < 1.7.0. [GH-278]
- Fix broken puppet server provisioner which called a nonexistent method.
- Default SSH host changed from
localhostis not always loopback.
shellprovisioner which simply uploads and executes a script as root on the VM.
- Gentoo host only networking no longer fails if already setup. [GH-286]
- Set the host name of your guest OS with
vagrant ssh-confignow outputs the configured
0.7.0 (January 19, 2011)
- VirtualBox 4.0 support. Support for VirtualBox 3.2 is dropped, since the API is so different. Stay with the 0.6.x series if you have VirtualBox 3.2.x.
- Puppet server provisioner. [GH-262]
- Use numeric uid/gid in mounting shared folders to increase portability. [GH-252]
- HTTP downloading follows redirects. [GH-163]
- Downloaders have clearer output to note what they're doing.
- Shared folders with no guest path are not automounted. [GH-184]
- Boxes downloaded during
vagrant upreload the Vagrantfile config, which fixes a problem with box settings not being properly loaded. [GH-231]
config.ssh.forward_x11to enable the ForwardX11 SSH option. [GH-255]
- Vagrant source now has a
contribdirectory where contributions of miscellaneous addons for Vagrant will be added.
- Vagrantfiles are now loaded only once (instead of 4+ times) [GH-238]
- Ability to move home vagrant dir (~/.vagrant) by setting VAGRANT_HOME environmental variable.
- Removed check and error for the "OSE" version of VirtualBox, since with VirtualBox 4 this distinction no longer exists.
- Ability to specify proxy settings for chef. [GH-169]
- Helpful error message shown if NFS mounting fails. [GH-135]
- Gentoo guests now support host only networks. [GH-240]
- RedHat (CentOS included) guests now support host only networks. [GH-260]
- New Vagrantfile syntax for enabling and configuring provisioners. This change is not backwards compatible. [GH-265]
- Provisioners are now RVM-friendly, meaning if you installed chef or puppet with an RVM managed Ruby, Vagrant now finds then. [GH-254]
- Changed the unused host only network destroy mechanism to check for uselessness after the VM is destroyed. This should result in more accurate checks.
- Networks are no longer disabled upon halt/destroy. With the above change, its unnecessary.
- Puppet supports
module_pathconfiguration to mount local modules directory as a shared folder and configure puppet with it. [GH-270]
127.0.0.1as the host instead of
0.6.9 (December 21, 2010)
- Puppet provisioner. [GH-223]
- Solaris system configurable to use
- Solaris system registered, so it can be set with
vagrant packageinclude can be a directory name, which will cause the contents to be recursively copied into the package. [GH-241]
- Arbitrary options to puppet binary can be set with
- BSD hosts use proper GNU sed syntax for clearing NFS shares. [GH-243]
- Enumerate VMs in a multi-VM environment in order they were defined. [GH-244]
- Check for VM boot changed to use
timeoutlibrary, which works better with Windows.
- Show special error if VirtualBox not detected on 64-bit Windows.
- Show error to Windows users attempting to use host only networking since it doesn't work yet.
0.6.8 (November 30, 2010)
- Network interfaces are now up/down in distinct commands instead of just restarting "networking." [GH-192]
- Add missing translation for chef binary missing. [GH-203]
- Fix default settings for Opscode platform and comments. [GH-213]
- Blank client name for chef server now uses FQDN by default, instead of "client" [GH-214]
- Run list can now be nil, which will cause it to sync with chef server (when chef server is enabled). [GH-214]
- Multiple NFS folders now work on linux. [GH-215]
- Add translation for state "stuck" which is very rare. [GH-218]
- virtualbox gem dependency minimum raised to 0.7.6 to verify FFI < 1.0.0 is used.
- Fix issue where box downloading from
vagrant updidn't reload the box collection. [GH-229]
0.6.7 (November 3, 2010)
- Added validation to verify that a box is specified.
- Proper error message when box is not found for
- Fix output of
vagrant statuswith multi-vm to be correct. [GH-196]
0.6.6 (October 14, 2010)
vagrant status NAMEworks once again. [GH-191]
- Conditional validation of Vagrantfile so that some commands don't validate. [GH-188]
- Fix "junk" output for ssh-config. [GH-189]
- Fix port collision handling with greater than two VMs. [GH-185]
- Fix potential infinite loop with root path if bad CWD is given to environment.
0.6.5 (October 8, 2010)
- Validations on base MAC address to avoid situation described in GH-166, GH-181 from ever happening again.
- Properly load sub-VM configuration on first-pass of config loading. Solves a LOT of problems with multi-VM. [GH-166] [GH-181]
- Configuration now only validates on final Vagrantfile proc, so multi-VM validates correctly.
- A nice error message is given if ".vagrant" is a directory and therefore can't be accessed. [GH-172]
- Fix plugin loading in a Rails 2.3.x project. [GH-176]
0.6.4 (October 4, 2010)
- Default VM name is now properly the parent folder of the working directory of the environment.
- Added method to
TestHelpersto assist with testing new downloaders.
up --no-provisionworks again. This disables provisioning during the boot process.
- Action warden doesn't do recovery process on
SystemExitexceptions, allowing the double ctrl-C to work properly again. [related to GH-166]
- Initial Vagrantfile is now heavily commented with various available options. [GH-171]
- Box add checks if a box already exists before the download. [GH-170]
- NFS no longer attempts to clean exports file if VM is not created, which was causing a stack trace during recovery. [related to GH-166]
- Basic validation added for Chef configuration (both solo and server).
- Top config class is now available in all
Vagrant::Config::Basesubclasses, which is useful for config validation.
- Subcommand help shows proper full command in task listing. [GH-168]
- SSH gives error message if
sshbinary is not found. [GH-161]
- SSH gives proper error message if VM is not running. [GH-167]
- Fix some issues with undefined constants in command errors.
0.6.1, 0.6.2, 0.6.3 (September 27, 2010)
A lot of quick releases which all were to fix issues with Ruby 1.8.7 compatibility.
0.6.0 (September 27, 2010)
- VM name now defaults to the name of the containing folder, plus a timestamp. This should make it easier to identify VMs in the VirtualBox GUI.
- Exposed Vagrant test helpers in
Vagrant::TestHelpersfor plugins to easily test themselves against Vagrant environments.
- Plugins have landed. Plugins are simply gems which have a
vagrant_init.rbfile somewhere in their load path. Please read the documentation on vagrantup.com before attempting to create a plugin (which is very easy) for more information on how it all works and also some guidelines.
vagrant packagenow takes a
--vagrantfileoption to specify a Vagrantfile to package. The
--includeapproach for including a Vagrantfile no longer works (previously built boxes will continue to work).
vagrant packagehas new logic with regards to the
--includeoption depending on if the file path is relative or absolute (they can be intermixed):
- Relative paths are copied directly into the box, preserving
their path. So
--include lib/foowould be in the box as "lib/foo"
- Absolute paths are simply copied files into the root of the
--include /lib/foowould be in the box as "foo"
- Relative paths are copied directly into the box, preserving their path. So
- "vagrant_main" is no longer the default run list. Instead, chef run list starts empty. It is up to you to specify all recipes in the Vagrantfile now.
- Fixed various issues with certain action middleware not working if the VM was not created.
- SSH connection is retried 5 times if there is a connection refused. Related to GH-140.
http_proxyenvironmental variable is set, it will be used as the proxy box adding via http.
config.ssh.password. It hasn't been used for a few versions now and was only kept around to avoid exceptions in Vagrantfiles.
- Configuration is now validated so improper input can be found in Vagrantfiles.
- Fixed issue with not detecting Vagrantfile at root directory ("/").
- Vagrant now gives a nice error message if there is a syntax error in any Vagrantfile. [GH-154]
- The format of the ".vagrant" file which stores persisted VMs has changed. This is backwards incompatible. Will provide an upgrade utility prior to 0.6 launch.
- Every [expected] Vagrant error now exits with a clean error message and a unique exit status, and raises a unique exception (if you're scripting Vagrant).
- Added I18n gem dependency for pulling strings into clean YML files. Vagrant is now localizable as a side effect! Translations welcome.
- Fixed issue with "Waiting for cleanup" message appearing twice in some cases. [GH-145]
- Converted CLI to use Thor. As a tradeoff, there are some backwards
vagrant package- The
--includeflag now separates filenames by spaces, instead of by commas. e.g.
vagrant package --include x y z
vagrant ssh- If you specify a command to execute using the
--executeflag, you may now only specify one command (before you were able to specify an arbitrary amount). e.g.
vagrant ssh -e "echo hello"
vagrant ssh-confighas become
vagrant ssh_configdue to a limitation in Thor.
0.5.4 (September 7, 2010)
- Fix issue with the "exec failed" by running on Tiger as well.
- Give an error when downloading a box which already exists prior to actually downloading the box.
0.5.3 (August 23, 2010)
- Add erubis as a dependency since its rendering of
- Fixed poorly formatted Vagrantfile after
vagrant init. [GH-142]
- Fixed NFS not working properly with multiple NFS folders.
- Fixed chef solo provision to work on Windows. It was expanding a linux path which prepended a drive letter onto it.
0.5.2 (August 3, 2010)
vagrant upcan be used as a way to resume the VM as well (same as
vagrant resume). [GH-134]
- Sudo uses "-E" flag to preserve environment for chef provisioners. This fixes issues with CentOS. [GH-133]
- Added "IdentitiesOnly yes" to options when
vagrant sshis run to avoid "Too Many Authentication Failures" error. [GH-131]
- Fix regression with
packagenot working. [GH-132]
- Added ability to specify box url in
init, which populates the Vagrantfile with the proper
0.5.1 (July 31, 2010)
- Allow specifying cookbook paths which exist only on the VM in
config.chef.cookbooks_path. This is used for specifying cookbook paths when
config.chef.recipe_urlis used. [GH-130] See updated chef solo documentation for more information on this.
- No longer show "Disabling host only networks..." if no host only networks
are destroyed. Quiets
halt, etc output a bit.
- Updated getting started guide to be more up to date and generic. [GH-125]
- Fixed error with doing a
vagrant upwhen no Vagrantfile existed. [GH-128]
- Fixed NFS erroring when NFS wasn't even enabled if
/etc/exportsdoesn't exist. [GH-126]
vagrant resumeto properly resume a suspended VM. [GH-122]
reloadto where they failed if the VM was in a saved state. [GH-123]
config.chef.recipe_urlwhich allows you to specify a URL to a gzipped tar file for chef solo to download cookbooks. See the chef-solo docs for more information. [GH-121]
vagrant box repackagewhich repackages boxes which have been added. This is useful in case you want to redistribute a base box you have but may have lost the actual "box" file. [GH-120]
The changelog began with version 0.5.1 so any changes prior to that can be seen by checking the tagged releases and reading git commit messages.