This is a python port of a ruby port of arc90's readability project
Given a html document, it pulls out the main body text and cleans it up. It also can clean up title based on latest readability.js code.
- Latest readability.js ( https://github.com/MHordecki/readability-redux/blob/master/readability/readability.js )
- Ruby port by starrhorne and iterationlabs
- Python port by gfxmonk ( https://github.com/gfxmonk/python-readability , based on BeautifulSoup )
- Decruft effort to move to lxml ( http://www.minvolai.com/blog/decruft-arc90s-readability-in-python/ )
- "BR to P" fix from readability.js which improves quality for smaller texts.
- Github users contributions.
Try it out!
You can try out the parser by entering your test urls on the following test service.
$ easy_install readability-lxml # or $ pip install readability-lxml
Command Line Client
$ readability http://pypi.python.org/pypi/readability-lxml $ readability /home/rharding/sampledoc.html
As a Library
from readability.readability import Document import urllib html = urllib.urlopen(url).read() readable_article = Document(html).summary() readable_title = Document(html).short_title()
You can also use the get_summary_with_metadata method to get back other metadata such as the confidence score found while processing the input.
doc = Document(html).summary_with_metadata() print doc.html print doc.confidence
Optional Document keyword argument:
- debug: output debug messages
- url: will allow adjusting links to be absolute
Test and BUild Status
Tests are run against the package at:
You can view it for build history and test status.
- 0.2.5 Update setup.py for uploading .tar.gz to pypi