Stanton Scs.3M Mixxx User Guide
Mixxx is a free and open-source DJ software.
Clone this wiki locally
This guide explains how the SCS.3m is mapped by default in Mixxx.
The left side of the controller controls deck 1. The right side is for deck 2. We'll walk through the controller from top to bottom and explain the features.
These are used only as modifier buttons in Mixxx for now. Hold them down to access different functions for that side of the controller (Deck A/C for the left side virtual deck 1, Deck B/D for the right side, deck 2,) detailed for each control below.
These adjust the pitch control.
- Touching near the edges will do a temporary pitch bend in that direction.
- Hold the current mode button down (EQ/FX) and touch the slider on that side to reset it to 0%.
- Hold the applicable Deck select button down when using these sliders to perform fine-grained pitch adjustment.
When the Master button is held down:
- The left slider adjusts the Pre/Main headphone mix
- The right slider adjusts Master Balance
- Also hold the current mode button and touch the slider on that side to reset it to center
From left to right, for each side:
- in EQ mode these adjust Low, Mid, and High frequency filters
- in FX mode these adjust Depth, Delay, and LFO for the flanging effect
Hold down the current mode button (FX/EQ) and touch one of these sliders to reset it to center.
Press these to choose what the sliders above them control. (See above.)
- Hold Deck and press FX to toggle the flange effect for that deck
- Hold Deck and press EQ to auto-adjust the pitch to sync the BPM on this deck with the other one (assuming it was detected correctly on both)
These adjust the channel volume as on a traditional mixer.
- Holding Deck causes these to adjust the pre-fader gain for the deck
When the Master button is held down:
- The left slider adjusts the Headphone volume
- The right slider adjusts Master volume
From top to bottom on both sides:
- Fast forward
Headphone buttons toggle that deck in the headphone mix.
Adjusts the cross-fade between the virtual decks
- Needle drop function: Hold a Deck button to use the cross-fader strip to search through the track loaded on that deck
These normally show the pre-fader signal for the respective deck. When holding down the Master button, they show the stereo master output meters: left side for the left channel, right side for the right channel.
NOTE: The LEDs are calibrated to the VU meters on-screen. If you see a red LED flicker, you are clipping and need to reduce the volume or gain to avoid distorted sound and/or speaker damage.
This section explains the extensions proposed for Mixxx 1.12.
When touching the "A C" or "B D" buttons, the mixer switches between decks. On the left side, touching "A C" will switch between decks 1 and 3. On the right side, touching "B D" will switch between decks 2 and 4. All controls except for the crossfader then control the selected deck.
Connected SCS.3d modules will follow deck changes. For example if you switch from deck 1 to deck 3 on a SCS.3m, all connected SCS.3d modules who are on deck 1 will also switch to deck 3.
This is the standard mixing mode where the three EQ sliders control low/mid/high. The top slider controls the filter knob.
Touching EQ will return to EQ mode from the FX modes. Holding EQ and touching a slider will reset it to its preset position. (Unfortunately this doesn't work for MASTER modes.)
In FX mode you can control an effect unit. The three vertical sliders control the first three effect parameters and the top slider controls dry/wet mix. The four buttons below EQ refer to the four effect units, we'll call them FX1, FX2, FX3, and FX4. Top button (FX1) selects first effect chain and so forth.
To enter FX mode you can either press FX to switch to the preselected effect unit, or press FX1 through FX4 to switch directly to the desired effect unit. You can assign FX chains to the deck by holding FX and pressing FX1 through FX4 to assign these effects to the deck. So to assign FX unit 1 to the current deck, hold FX and press the top button (right below EQ).
You can change the effect loaded into an effect unit by holding its button (FX1 through FX4) and tapping left/right on the top slider to cycle through the effects.
When holding the central MASTER button, the left side controls the headphone channel, while the right side controls the master channel.
- Left top slider: Pre/main mix on headphone
- Right top slider: main balance
- Left slider: head gain
- Right slider: master gain
- Buttons: The buttons assign effects to head and master
Images courtesy of Stanton Magnetics, Inc.