Going Serverless with OpenFaaS, Kubernetes, and Python
OpenFaaS (Functions as a Service) is a framework for building serverless, event-driven functions with Docker and Kubernetes.
In this tutorial, you'll learn how to build and deploy a full-stack application that uses Flask (client-facing app) along with OpenFaaS to handle background processes.
By the end of this tutorial, you will be able to...
- Explain what serverless architecture is and why it may be a good option for you
- Discuss the pros and cons of using OpenFaaS over other serverless options like AWS Lambda
- Configure and run services locally with Docker, Docker Compose, and Docker Machine
- Install Flask, Ngnix, Gunicorn, and a serverless backend on a Digital Ocean Droplet
- Manage, deploy, and scale the services via Kubernetes
Introduction (30 minutes - (100% lecture))
- About Me
- Serverless 101
- Kubernetes 101
- Project Setup
Containers and Services (30 minutes (100% lecture))
- Flask web framework + Python
- Code execution back-end powered by OpenFaaS
Deployment (1.5 hours - (30 minute lecture, 1 hour hands-on))
- Digital Ocean Setup
- Deploying Each Service
What's next? (30 minutes)
- Next Steps
A few things...
- This tutorial comes from a modified version of the course at http://testdriven.io/
- You can see my past speaking history at http://mherman.org/talks
- I run the NodeJS Meetup in Denver/Boulder - https://www.meetup.com/Node-js-Denver-Boulder/