This is a very basic tangent generator, written in C++. The main purpose of this project is to facilitate adoption of, and discussion about, the proper setup of tangent spaces for glTF 2.0 assets.
- Generation of per-corner tangents for triangle data with UVs
- Computation of per-wedge / per-UV-vertex tangent spaces
- Tangent frame orthogonalization
- Encoding of 4-component tangents (with "flip factor") for avoiding explicit binormals
- Simple C++ implementation, no dependencies
The code consists basically of one header + .cpp file. For debugging and visualization, there is also a simple X3D exporter in a separate file, which was used to generate the 3D visualizations shown below. The baked tangent-space normal maps are just provided for demonstration purposes, the actual baking code is not part of this repository.
So far, the C++ code from this project has just been compiled and tested with VS 2015.
Feedback and contributions are always welcome.
These are some basic results - images show tangent frames, detail mesh, and resulting baked normal map.