- It backups your notes as separated files named with note-id (like 68b329da9893e34099c7d8ad5cb9c940.txt)
- Backup files contains tags.
- It stores files in
- If a note has a single tag, create it into a directory named as the tag. When you import notes into the Notes.app, you can keep the structures.
Sample of the content of a backup file of a note.
Content of the note. After the content and a blank line tags are followed. .... tags: foo, bar
I know https://app.simplenote.com has "Download .zip", but it doesn't include tags. I know https://app.simplenote.com has "Export notes", but it seems to exclude notes in trash. Neither of both provide us automation or periodical task (like cron). I tired of searching around other options...
- It uses simperium-python sdk.
- I don't trust 3rd party tool which handle password, so you should not trust me. And simperium API didn't provide us a way like OAuth. So I let you get a token from http://app.simplenote.com/ by yourself.
Installation (OS X)
Sorry, if your desktop OS is not an OS X. Sorry, if you are not familiar with command line. I hope you figure out how to deal with it.
1. Create a working directory
If you don't have no idea where to place the directory, home directory is an option.
mkdir ~/SimplenoteBackup cd ~/SimplenoteBackup
2. Get what needed
git clone https://github.com/Simperium/simperium-python.git git clone https://github.com/hiroshi/simplenote-backup.git
3. Get your token
- Open https://app.simplenote.com and login.
- Open the inspector in your browser (A shortcut may be Command + Alt + i).
simperium_opts.tokenin the console of the inspector.
- You will see a token, like "a543b9622f7bf1a340a8a6682d09ad17".
4. Run the script
cd ~/SimplenoteBackup/simplenote-backup make TOKEN=YOUR_TOKEN_HERE
If succeed you will see like this:
Starting backup your simplenote to: /Users/hiroshi/Dropbox/SimplenoteBackups Done: 3156 files (1605 in TRASH).
If you'd like to choose another destination directory, add BACKUP_DIR option.
make TOKEN=YOUR_TOKEN_HERE BACKUP_DIR=~/my-simplenote-backup
5. Add cron task if you wish
If you wish to execute a backup job once an hour, add following line:
0 * * * * cd $HOME/SimplenoteBackup/simplenote-backup && make TOKEN=YOU_TOKEN_HERE > cron.log 2>&1
- Provide an archive file packed with simperium sdk.
- Run the script as a service somewhere so that you don't need to open desktop machine for backing up notes entered in your mobile deices.
- Provide a bookmarklet to grab token in https://app.simplenote.com to ease setup.